Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Method For CSP Size Reduction (Photoshop CS3)  (Read 2723 times)
irishladdie727
Mega Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: July 17, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »

I've noticed that people have been using .TGA files for their CSP's, I guess this is the standard right now, and correct me if I'm wrong because I don't use CUPASH, but I guess that's the filesize CUPASH uses too. 

You're all wrong, and let me tell you why.

Well I got really frustrated experimenting with different image types because PNG's are the only kind that maintain transparency, but they tend to have a large filesize, which as we all know too too well, causes the .PAC archive to get to big and crash the game.  I see what you did there ... 

TGA's are smaller, but don't maintain transparency, and look really ugly on the character select screen (in my humble opinion).  Transparency is the reason that Nintendo used PNGs for all of their image files in the first place.  Well, despair not, because I discovered a little trick that let's you save images as PNG's AND compress them to a smaller filesize. 

1. Open up your TGA's in Photoshop CS3, convert them to RGB color mode (Image/Mode/RGB), use the background eraser tool to get rid of all that Magenta ugliness, and then save the image as a PNG.

2. Go back to Image/Mode, and convert it back to Indexed color mode (Primary, Localized Color), this time as a PNG, and save it again.  You'll find that the filesize is now SMALLER than it was as a TGA, and your character portraits look much better integrated with the originals!

I hope this helps some of you.  Likewise, I'm sure many of you will find it useless, or already knew this.  I use Photoshop, which is great, but I'm sure that there are analagous methods in similar image editing programs. 

Beyond
    ♥God of Love
    Special Access

...but nothing happened...

• Awards Hey! Listen! Ceiling Cat Active Contributor >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:12:31 AM »

Im srs here

Old news.

KTH
    French fries
    Special Access

• Awards Nintendo Revolution Team Heart Container Smash 3 Team >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:31:04 AM »

CUPASH....

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:51:58 AM »

You got the file sizes mixed up between PNG and TarGA images.

Let's say that you have two images that look exactly alike, but one is a PNG image, while the other is a TarGA image.  The PNG image format tends to use much less memory than the TarGA image format, even when RLE Compression is enabled on the TarGA image.

Of course, this mainly applies to if both images use the same color settings; RGB, Grayscale, or Indexed.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:00:15 AM by mnsg » Logged

Ricky (Br3)
    KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
    Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »

Wait, I thought everyone did that already.

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

irishladdie727
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »

Wait, I thought everyone did that already.

Well all I ever see is TARGA's.  However, I embrace feeling like an idiot, that's why I do [censored] like this.  Nonetheless, I'm just gonna lock it down since all of the comments are redundant comments on the archaic irrelevance of my generosity.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: