Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 14
Author Topic: Thinking outside the (Brawl)Box, a message to KCMM hackers  (Read 53880 times)
JBG
Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 25, 2010, 10:07:14 PM »

Hello KCMM. This is Black Boo, or "The guy that does all the Zelda hacks." This topic is a bit of a public service announcement to the hackers here.

What I want to talk about is hacks and their...creativity. Yes, their creativity. I'm noticing that the creativity in BrawlVault is reaching a frightening low. Why you say? Well, isn't the fact that just the other day, there were three Shadow hacks on the top downloads per day list proof enough?

Another thing, besides the multiples of hacks out there that's diminishing the creativity here is simple recolors. Now I realize that for some members, vertex editing is difficult. But really, if you're going to do a recolor, don't do something that's been done already, and if it hasn't been done, make it original. I'd hate to point out a specific hack, but the Black and Gold ones come to mind. The BnG Peach was good, but the BnG Zelda...not so much.

besides, that's what the vertex request forums are for. If you want to make a hack and be able to publish it, ask around the forum for an edited model, but not an edited texture, and say that you're going to release it yourself, but don't forget to give credit.

Although I suppose that really doesn't matter since a lot of people constantly ignore request threads. True I can understand that a lot of them are rather far fetched, but if you're out of ideas and in a slump, give them a look, and see if you can't find something manageable. Lend a hand, make a fellow hacker's dream come true.

Lastly, in the creativity department, is ORIGINAL IDEAS. We already have at least twenty or thirty Shadow hacks floating about, same with Mewtwos and Roys. True, you might have an original idea, but you don't have the thought process to pull it off. If you do, and is often times my case, sit back, relax, and think. Just think on how you can create the hack that you desire. It took me about a week of planning for Queen Ambi.

The real key to this is inginuity. You need to look at what you have to work with, and then say "Okay, how are we going to make this work? This was the case for my (still work in progress) Midna, though I'm still having patching issues with her. Since she's not released, she'll be the perfect example. Just...don't steal my ideas and not give me credit, alright?

Look here. The often neglected bow on the back of her head. I made it ouf ot her earrings.

Her cloak sleeves, made from the verts just above the elbow.

This is a key tip. Go the extra mile! If it's for the sake of making a character actually look like themselves, about an extra hour of work is worth it, don't you think?

But what if you were working on a hack, and someone else has already finished it? Didn't I say earlier that you should be original? Yes, I did. But if your hack was in production, and you believe that you can make the hack, dare I say it and offend someone, better than the other one that's up right now, then, by Jove, do it! That's what I did with Toon Zelda.

A last minor point I'm going to address is anime based hacks. They're out there folks. And quite frankly, some of them are repulsive. Trust me, I've spent days at a time just perusing BrawlVault, and I have come across some not so pretty sights. Do we all remember that Nami that looked like Weegee? Yeah, that'a a prime example. So all in all, cut back on the anime. Some people might know who the character is, most of us don't.

I thak you for the time that you've taken to read this post, and have a happy remainder of your holiday season.
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:55:57 PM by Black Boo » Logged

Doomfire
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »

2 Color packs out for one character is really LOL

Beyond
    ♥God of Love
    Special Access

...but nothing happened...

• Awards Hey! Listen! Ceiling Cat Active Contributor >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:26:56 AM »

I agree with you for the most part but I think with most hackers when it comes to making hacks, do you make what you think the people would want or do you make something creative. I think with creative hacks, unless it's extremely well done they can be far too obscure for anyone to even give a chance.

Why make Sonic into the RoadRunner from looney tunes when you can make another Shadow. Make Shadow because it's a sure fire to get downloads and people think it's what the community wants, another "Perfect" Shadow. Im srs here

But i'll have to disagree with you about the Anime hacks even though I'm not much of an anime fan. Yes, there are many out there that are repulsive, but in my opinion there are just as many if not more non-anime based hacks that are just as repulsive. If a person is fan enough of the character I think they should go for it, doesn't matter if no one else has heard of it if they like it. I think the thing is, a lot of skilled hackers aren't the ones making those hacks and the  few that are neglect one important aspect of these hacks; The Eyes.

I think creativity in terms of modeling like you using her earrings to make her bow also comes down with experience with making hacks for that character. Someone vertexing Zelda for the first time wouldn't think that but as they get more accustomed to the character they realize "I can use this for this" and "that for that." That's why i'm constantly revamping my stuff, i feel I can always make them better and I'm finidng out new ways to go about things.

Nice Midna btw. Damn, I rambled on. Who the f*ck is gonna read all this? Im srs here

SSJCerious
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Famous Hacker KCMM Veteran

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »

^I read it all. Awesome Face I agree with you 100%!

Thanks to soul for this sexy siggy!
    Central Thread:
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=21501.msg402601#msg402601

songeflemy
    Master Puppeteer
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Good Citizen KCMM Veteran Heart Container Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »

Didn't Calamitas make a True Form Minda?

I just wish I could vertex, there's a lot of ideas I could make using the vertexting programs, but alas I heard it isn't free to get it (or is that just me?)

DrPanda
    Special Access

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:13:51 AM »

I have to agree with Beyond on this one (yes I did read it all)

Most people only redo the Shadows, the Roys, the Mewtwos etc. because they want a bunch of downloads.
    And if it's not a rip-off remake, then its gonna be a re-colour pack, or a crappy 'nude' version
    All of which are [censored]e Im srs here

Regarding anime hacks... Well, most of them do suck (I have made anime hacks myself and I still think they suck), However, the only reason why most of them suck is because they are so half-assed. If someone did go that little bit furthur to line the textures up correctly, or add more detail to them, they might actually be good... I'm not saying that all the anime hacks are crap, there are some gooduns but only because they actually have effort put into them.
    Errr... The eyes though... I personally think the eyes should be left as-is.
    I think this because majority of the people who edit the eyes make a real mess out of it... Bigger eyes does not = perfect Anime appearance!
    If you are gonna try for anime hacks, atleast get some lessons in how animanga anatomy works first or just leave the eyes alone.
    Besides, people seem to forget that 99% of all Brawl characters are already made in a comic art style Tongue

I don't think I can say much more... You and Beyond have pretty much summed everything up I have wanted to say for a while now, so Thank you for letting me vent some of the ridiculous annoyances I have against recurring or just down right unoriginal hacks Grin

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »

I myself have nothing against originality, even if it gives you little to no downloads. Sometimes the least obscure characters aren't always the best choices.

...unless that originality takes you to the kajillions of "original" Sonic characters roaming about, in which case I'd probably stomach another Shadow that has 50% more furry eyebrows than the last.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

♤♡◇♧
    The Corrupted
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic Pin Collector Active Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »

The BrawlVault should be there to hold hacks that have quality and value, not to hold tons and tons of 'original' Sonic, tons and tons of Shadow revamps, anime hacks which are repulsive (if your going to do one, do them right) and hacks which clearly don't even work properly (some people post for example a model port like Ganondorf over C. Falcon and say that most of the [censored]e doesn't work and crash your game, but still is fine to use -_-).

Link40
    Extreme Kitten

You can not resist the power of the Wunderwaffe !

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »

I fully approve what you said BlackBoo and ds22
    Sadly, I don't think we can change that :/

Doomfire
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »

Sonic hacks were fun. Allright a Shadow! Allright a SHadow Vertex! Allright a Metal Sonic! Allright a.. Metal Shadow? Allright a.. Silver the hedgehog! Allright a.. Who's this again?
    Sooo many different hedgehogs. I'll just keep it to Sonic, Knuckles and Shadow if you don't mind >.>

toastoftriumph
    Lol Kitten

(aka Mariofan1138)

• Awards Constructive Hot Topic Heart Container Novice Restorer

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »

This thread has thoroughly explained what's been on my mind ever since there have been hacks for brawl. Personally, all of the redone characters, recolors, and obscure anime textures start to pile up, and original ideas become rare.
    For me, the best part of original ideas is how everyone can use them. An anime character that 10% of the community recognizes might be well done, but not everyone can appreciate it. A well planned, original, and aesthetically pleasing hack goes a lot further and is generally more fun.

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »

I think it's kind of funny that, while everyone is discussing this, two more Shadow textures showed up in the Vault. Laugh

Pin0yB0i
    Badace
    Extreme Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 12:33:27 AM »

Yeah I'm getting really tired of these Sonic fan characters and how people keep spamming Shadows on the vault for downloads... Im srs here
    My hacks are original. No one has ever made an effing Triple Rainbow stage before.
    No one would have thought of Chinese Ness... Im srs here

Link40
    Extreme Kitten

You can not resist the power of the Wunderwaffe !

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 04:36:36 AM »

OMG another Shadow. Seriously, it is becoming even more annoying Im srs here

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 06:43:58 AM »

The thing is, the popular stuff always sells out the most, even if they're just slightly different versions, leaving little room for the more original things -- sadly, the case also applies out in the real world.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 14
    Print
    Jump to: