Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quick guide to animated collisions in stages  (Read 2291 times)
Mewtwo2000
The Stage Master
Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: May 17, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

I'm doing this because I've been asked for fixing 2 stages with moving collisions problems these last days. Hope this quick guide helps people to successfully animate their collisions.

First thing you need to know is what a collision is. It's just how a ground, wall or ceiling is defined in the game. You can have a model, but it won't be a wall or a floor automatically. You need to define those collisions in brawlbox, in the blue miscdata, usually miscdata[2].

Normally, these collisions are not moving, but if you need to have a moving platform, they need to move with that platform. If you know how to animate a platform, you will know that a chr animation controls some bones in the model we want to move. The model can have one or more bones. And this is the important part.

In order to make a collision move, or even resize it during the match, we need to attach it to a bone. That bone is in one of the models in the stage. If that bone is resized, the collision will get resized. If the bone is rotated, the collision will be rotated. Many people build the collision while viewing a bone-resized model, and that's wrong. For example, you got a box that goes from -10 to 10 in X, but you resize it to the half in X, so it's from -5 to 5 in the collision editor. You see the box there, and build your collision by visual observation. Your result is a collision that goes from -5 to 5 in X. But the bone you're using is resizing the model, and the collision too. So, when you play, you will get a real collision from -2.5 to 2.5 in X.

In order to avoid this, you can:

1- Use the 'snap' option in brawlbox, in the collision viewer, by rightclicking on the collision object with the already attached bone. To attach the collision to a bone, the collision object needs the name of the model and bone, and it's added by selecting the model and bone and clicking '+'. When those are done, you may see your stage stretched up. The collision will look the same, but the rest of the models will be seen rotated and scaled in a way that your collision fits the real thing. In other words, when you do this with the example I told you before, your resized model will become larger in the screen, and you will draw a collision from -10 to 10. So, when resized by the animation, it will be from -5 to 5, and will fit the model.

2- When a model is multi-boned, just resize and rotate it with a bone that isn't the top-level one. And use a higher bone (for example, the top-level) only for moving, not rotating or resizing. Also, when going to make the collision, make that bone not to be moved in the model (model previewer without selecting an animation), and you will fit the model when you make the collision. Once done, you can edit the bone if you want, the collision is already well placed. Also, the collision previewer shows the bone changes in the models, not in the animations. If you've animated something, you can always have an untouched bone in the model for collisions, unless you want to see how it's placed in the stage in the collision previewer itself.

I'm not sure about how clear the guide has been, but there's not much to say. If you rotate a collision, you will get an inclinated floor, for example, but once the inclination passes some angle, it won't become a wall automatically. When 90º, strange things may happen for grounds, and walls stop working, and things like that. So, be careful with your rotations.

And, once again, remember to use the 'snap' option for every attached collision. You may thing that your collision is fine, but it may not be fine if you don't snap. When snapped, you can edit with no doubt. No snapping is only logical when you're making not-moving collisions.

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

toastoftriumph
    Lol Kitten

(aka Mariofan1138)

• Awards Constructive Hot Topic Heart Container Novice Restorer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »

I'm working on a stage right now, and it's going to be animated. I was wondering if you can move collisions in the Z direction to make them appear/disappear. Does that work, or do you have to use another method entirely?

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: