Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Editing Textures on an iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad  (Read 2455 times)
?uestion
Extreme Kitten

A rebirth

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: February 17, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »

Editing textures anywhere... Sounds good, doesn't it? Well, now it's possible to edit textures on your jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad with the use of BrawlBox and SketchBook for iOS!

What you'll need:

An iDevice, jailbroken w/ the package 'afc2add' installed via Cydia

iFunBox for Windows (just Google it)

iTunes (for syncing and optimizing photos to be edited)

SketchBook Mobile for iPhone, or SketchBook Pro for iPad (on AppStore. They are paid apps. The free version won't work because it won't let you import from the photo library. If anyone can find a free alternative to this, please post it on this thread)

GIMP 2 (For reformatting once you've finished editing your textures)

BrawlBox 0.63d

PAC file for the texture you want to edit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. To start off, go ahead and open up the PAC of the texture you want to edit in BrawlBox.

2. Once it's open, navigate to the TextureData[0] section and find the file you want to edit. You can use the previews to help you find exactly what you want. Make sure to take note of the formatting details in the upper right area of the screen, such as the height, width, format, etc.

Example (Sorry there aren't any pictures):

I'm going to be editing ToonLink's sword, so I'll open up his PAC file in BrawlBox. After some time spent looking around, I find that the file is named FitToonLink_arms1, with the following details:

Width: 128
    Height: 256
    Format: RGB565
    LevelOfDetail: 4
    HasPalette: False

2. Once you've got everything down, right click the file you want to edit and save it to a folder on your desktop (or wherever, really).

3. Sync this photo to your iPhone/iPad via iTunes. No, I'm not going to help you do that...

4. Once the sync is finished, launch your SketchBook variant on your iDevice. Once it loads, tap the icon at the bottom of the screen to access the tools, and then tap Gallery.

5. There should be an icon on the bottom that looks like a flower with a + sign next to it. Tap that, and choose to import from your Photo Library.

6. Find the texture file you want to edit and select it. Edit to your heart's content!

Finished? Then on to Step 7!

7. Access the Gallery once again and choose to save your work.

8. Tap your picture, then touch the flower icon with and arrow next to it.

9. Export the image to your Photo Library. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE TO ORIENT THE IMAGE THE WAY IT ORIGINALLY APPEARED IN BRAWLBOX!

10. Go ahead an' exit out of SketchBook!

11. Connect your device via USB to a computer.

12. Open iFunBox! Yay!

13. Once iFunBox connects to your device, click on the appropriate device in the left sidebar.

14. Double click the 'Camera' icon that will appear in the main submenu for your iPhone/iPad.

15. Your edited image should be right here! Copy it to your desktop (Drag and Drop simplicity, folks!)

16. Now, run GIMP 2.

17. You should see a few windows open up. In the main window, click on 'File', then 'New'.

18. Now comes the important part: For the height and width of the new image, set them to the identical height and width of the ORIGINAL png file that you exported out of BrawlBox.

Example: FitToonLink_arms1 had a width of 128 and a height of 256, so I'll make the new image in GIMP have a width of 128 and a height of 256 as well. Click okay.

19. Once that's finished, go to 'File' once again and click 'Open as Layers'. Select your edited image as the one to open up in GIMP.

20. The image may be too big... No problem! Go to 'Layer' and then 'Scale Layer' to resize it to your liking. It should resemble the original png image once it is correctly scaled. You'll have to fool around with this option until the boot fits, I'm afraid...

21. After you've gotten as close as humanly possible, merge the two layers of the image by going to 'Layer' and then 'Merge Down'.

22. Time to save the file! Go to file-> save as.

23. Choose whatever destination folder, and make sure that you save it as a png. Answer affirmatively to any prompts that follow and save the file.

24. Re-import into BrawlBox! Just right click on the file that you want to replace, and click 'Replace'. Import your edited file into BrawlBox.

25. You should be done! All the rest of the formatting should be taken care of by BrawlBox.

26. Save your work, and add your texture to your SD/USB.

27. Test out your new hacks!

Well, that's all, folks! If you can find ways to do this without jailbreaking, etc., let me know and I'll update this guide.

Questions, comments, or concerns? Just post 'em here.

Thanks for reading, and happy hacking!

-pranavmeno

Check out my model import thread here
    Want a sig? Well, click here!

?uestion
    Extreme Kitten

A rebirth

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »

I'm working on a way to do this without a jailbreak, but I've got a long way to go. If I find anything, I'll update the thread.

Check out my model import thread here
    Want a sig? Well, click here!

SmashClash
    This is my title.
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container >9000 Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »

27 steps just to...

Also, I believe this goes in the Tutorials and Guides board.
    Edit: nvm
    « Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:59:53 PM by SmashClash » Logged

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: