Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 212
Author Topic: Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates  (Read 993403 times)
Oizen
Global Moderator

Thanks

• Awards King for a Day 128-bit Core Gamer Ceiling Cat >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #990 on: September 26, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »

Quoted for truth.
    "KC MM
    You'll come for the Hacks and stay for the Drama!"
    Sadly, not really.
    Many people post spam as well as irrelevant and off-topic things all over the forum.
    And because I feel like being dull, I'll say the most clear example is NaruZeldaMaster.

Oh, and there's the introductions sub-forum too, while some people post there to give an authentic welcome to new people, others post for the sake of posting and raising their post count...
    Now this is something that reminds me of a certain thing I wanted to discuss before...

What the hell?
    Do staff people even check threads in all parts of the forum? And you know... actually do their job?
    Do you guys have the initiative of checking new posts and new threads?

It gives me the impression that you just moderate if you happen to see it by chance in a thread you're interested in... Or maybe only pay attention when something's reported.

When I had the time some weeks ago, I roamed a little around the sections, checked a few threads, found rule-breaking posts and reported them.
    I didn't even need to be searching, I just randomly checked the most recent page in a thread and found them... then how come mods don't do anything about them or even notice all the spam?

Users shouldn't be notifying the staff about everything... and the staff shouldn't rely on users reporting all that happens here.
    I thought people in staff would at least have the common sense of "patrolling".

Also... "you'll need to be a man and use that report button"...
    lolwut XD

Personally, I've never been on a forum with these omnipotent moderators who are everywhere at once, you should really lower your standards and realize that we're not being paid or rewarded for this. You seem to always say you're short on time, though I've yet to see it, maybe you should consider that there is a possibility you're not the only person in the world doing something.

but I digress, ungrateful people causing drama isn't exactly new here. Now as vyse said, were looking into a local moderator idea, but its going to take time to set up.
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:38:39 PM by Oizen™ » Logged

Asuka
    (@益@)ゞ
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Sig Contest Winner Heart Container Hey! Listen! Sniper

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #991 on: September 26, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »

...How much time do you think we have?

Either you don't appreciate just how large this forum is, or you're just being unreasonable. Of course we don't go around checking everything. You said yourself that you went looking
    Yes, I dedicated a few minutes to check some threads, and it wasn't that much time to be honest but it was enough to find quite some things that needed to be reported...

I do know how many forums and sub-forums there are, but that's the reason why there's a group of moderators, because we can't (and I certainly don't) expect a couple of people to handle all the things that go on here.

But I think part of the problem is the people you have as moderators... some of them are not active, others don't really have much time to dedicate to this place, others don't even care much about the forums in general and only go to certain sections or threads.

I also wonder why you guys decided to have only global moderators... it would have worked better to keep mods for each section...
    Making all the mods have the task of moderating globally makes mods address only some things and ignore everything else.
    Imo, it would be more efficient to give each mod the task of looking after specific sub-forums.
    Assigning the most active sub-forums to the most active mods and less active sub-forums to less active mods.

Which I know I don't have. I'm a senior CS major; my limited time here is largely spent working behind the scenes on stuff, like what I've done lately, and handling reports. I certainly don't have the luxury of looking around for extra stuff to do, especially when I don't care a bit about Brawl hacking anyway.
    And we appreciate all that you do here, thanks.

Though maybe we will find a few people to be local mods instead of global, to "patrol" some high-traffic boards. It's something that needs to be discussed.
    That's a good idea, and hope you can implement it, it would help you guys handle more parts of the forums.

Personally, I've never been on a forum with these omnipotent moderators who are everywhere at once, you should really lower your standards and realize that we're not being paid or rewarded for this. You seem to always say you're short on time, though I've yet to see it, maybe you should consider that there is a possibility you're not the only person in the world doing something.
    Maybe you should stop assuming things and putting words in my mouth.
    And I didn't know that wanting a group of moderators to be active enough and moderating was such a high standard.  Roll Eyes

Also, please don't use the "we don't get paid or rewarded" argument, it's been used way too much. We all know it... we're in a hacking community, any person modding a game knows it and can say the same.
    If you don't like people talking about how you do a "job" you "don't get paid or rewarded" for... simply don't pay attention to it, or don't do said job.

Oh, and "you have yet to see it"? lol
    Since when do people have to prove things to you?

but I digress, ungrateful people causing drama isn't exactly new here. Now as vyse said, were looking into a local moderator idea, but its going to take time to set up.
    Calling people ungrateful drama queens again? Geez...
    The community loves you too Oizen...
    Now please continue defending us from those evil bots that want to sell us things! D:
    Or better yet, go troll someone in the family thread, I heard it's fun and one of your fave things to do.  Wink

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #992 on: September 26, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »

I also wonder why you guys decided to have only global moderators... it would have worked better to keep mods for each section...
    Making all the mods have the task of moderating globally makes mods address only some things and ignore everything else.
    Imo, it would be more efficient to give each mod the task of looking after specific sub-forums.
    Assigning the most active sub-forums to the most active mods and less active sub-forums to less active mods.
    Global mods worked fine when the board was smaller, but the board has seen a bit of an explosive growth spurt in the past... six months or so? And we're still adjusting to that, I guess.

Honestly, that this forum is still alive, let alone this big, still surprises me if I stop to think about it.

Nuke
    Last of the Breed
    Holy Kitten

• Awards FistBump! Super Saiyan Topic KCMM Veteran Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #993 on: September 26, 2011, 11:48:29 PM »

If you dont mind me asking Vyse... How many Mods are currently "Active"?

FC:4898-8419-2778

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #994 on: September 26, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »

If you dont mind me asking Vyse... How many Mods are currently "Active"?
    There are currently 6 global mods: Oizen, Vish, dRage, Segab, LookItsLink, and ds22.

In terms of "being on the forum," they've all been active in the past day, except LIL, who last appeared on the 21st -- less than a week ago.

In terms of "moderating the forum," however, it's a little different. Segab last did something 3 months ago; LIL hasn't done anything in 1.5. Though that's just according to the moderation log, which doesn't record usage of the Visual Warning system. So they may have been less visibly active; I'd have to check other records.

tl;dr: Looks like 4/6. Could be more.

Miacis
    Ex-admin
    Special Access

• Awards Ceiling Cat 128-bit Core Gamer Featured 64-bit Core Gamer

« Reply #995 on: September 27, 2011, 02:41:53 AM »

Rediculously annoying to find posts we delete.
    Possible (temporary ?) solution : keep a copy of the deleted post before you delete it, then use the Serach function inside the Recycle Bin, with relevant pieces of said post.

When I had the time some weeks ago, I roamed a little around the sections, checked a few threads, found rule-breaking posts and reported them.
    I didn't even need to be searching, I just randomly checked the most recent page in a thread and found them... then how come mods don't do anything about them or even notice all the spam?
    All right. Comparison ? Let's compare our work then.

You : Roaming around the threads, finding rule-breaking stuff to report.

Me :
    - Replying to my constant stream of moderation/admin-related PMs. Which includes typical forum questions, BV moderation and reports handling, and general [censored]ing.
    - Approving Moderated posts.
    - Taking care of Reports in the Reported Posts boards.
    - Coming here on this thread to talk with you guys because we don't heartlessly ignore you anymore.
    - Discussing new ideas or the implementation of new concepts for the boards 1) In the Admin section 2) on MSN with Vyse.
    - Discussing more complicated cases of users to find suitable sanctions.
    - Hunting some multi-accounts.
    (- Taking care of awards.)
    - There are also some conflicts where I personnally have to solve myself when the two opposite sides are completely closed to conversation. And believe me, this is the kinda task that takes the most time.

I am NOT complaining about my "job" here. It's truly an everyday pride and joy for me to come here and help this place, even when it gets tough sometimes.
    I'm just reminding you that Admins and also Global moderators have much more to do these days than "just roaming around the boards". So yeah, if you guys can help us to do all of this a bit more quickly, it would be a great help, really. It's easy to just roam around the boards, but we're not just doing easy stuff.

So please compare what is comparable.

Also, yeah, we're starting to look for something like 5-6 local mods to patroll around the threads where we don't have the time to go. That should help to provide a good "neighboorhood moderation" while we take care of the bigger stuff, and ease the contact with users

Round and round the signature goes ~
    ~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Ӄit ßallarɖ
    Little 3D Animator
    Angel Kitten

Little Twitch Affiliate

• Awards PC Pro Gamer Heart Container Super Saiyan Topic Sniper

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #996 on: September 27, 2011, 02:57:02 AM »

You left out collage and being a loving Bf XD

Kit's Youtube of Combos and Randomness
    Also featuring a Deviantart page full of random images I make
    Official FaceBook Page to get a hold of me, catch up with what I'm doing, or just like me!

ItalianStallion
    Weapon X
    Overlord Kitten

Might controls everything

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Star Hacker

« Reply #997 on: September 27, 2011, 03:27:04 AM »

- There are also some conflicts where I personnally have to solve myself when the two opposite sides are completely closed to conversation. And believe me, this is the kinda task that takes the most time.

I might have an idea of what you're talking about there. :x

- Taking care of awards.

Miacis, could you check your PMs please.

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

« Reply #998 on: September 27, 2011, 10:39:02 AM »

Sadly, not really.
    Many people post spam as well as irrelevant and off-topic things all over the forum.
    And because I feel like being dull, I'll say the most clear example is NaruZeldaMaster.

Oh, and there's the introductions sub-forum too, while some people post there to give an authentic welcome to new people, others post for the sake of posting and raising their post count...

You missed the part right under what you quoted.  ._.

That said, I think the main problem is people spamming it up in the On-Topic boards. We all know who that is. But there are other people who post meaningless comments like "Good :3" or "Smexy =D" or other nonsensical one-worded responses.

I agree with you, and I know it isn't perfect, because there are still people making those aforementioned one-worded posts just to boost their count.

But I still think it's an improvement on what it used to be. That's all.

SmashHackers
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Starstormer Dedicated Hacker Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #999 on: September 27, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »

Possible (temporary ?) solution : keep a copy of the deleted post before you delete it, then use the Serach function inside the Recycle Bin, with relevant pieces of said post.
    All right. Comparison ? Let's compare our work then.

You : Roaming around the threads, finding rule-breaking stuff to report.

Me :
    - Replying to my constant stream of moderation/admin-related PMs. Which includes typical forum questions, BV moderation and reports handling, and general [censored]ing.
    - Approving Moderated posts.
    - Taking care of Reports in the Reported Posts boards.
    - Coming here on this thread to talk with you guys because we don't heartlessly ignore you anymore.
    - Discussing new ideas or the implementation of new concepts for the boards 1) In the Admin section 2) on MSN with Vyse.
    - Discussing more complicated cases of users to find suitable sanctions.
    - Hunting some multi-accounts.
    (- Taking care of awards.)

I am NOT complaining about my "job" here. It's truly an everyday pride and joy for me to come here and help this place, even when it gets tough sometimes.
    I'm just reminding you that Admins and also Global moderators have much more to do these days than "just roaming around the boards". So yeah, if you guys can help us to do all of this a bit more quickly, it would be a great help, really. It's easy to just roam around the boards, but we're not just doing easy stuff.

So please compare what is comparable.

Also, yeah, we're starting to look for something like 5-6 local mods to patroll around the threads where we don't have the time to go. That should help to provide a good "neighboorhood moderation" while we take care of the bigger stuff, and ease the contact with users

What a hero. Although all of that doesnt sound too hard, just sounds like a long list. You also always have time for roaming/lurking and posting in the family thread so I really doubt there are any major difficulties in your job. And since supposedly most of the reports are from there, it's hard to believe you don't notice, since that's the board you frequent at most. Also I didnt make this but thought it fit in well here
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:55:05 PM by SmashHackers » Logged

Oizen
    Global Moderator

Thanks

• Awards King for a Day 128-bit Core Gamer Ceiling Cat >9000

« Reply #1000 on: September 27, 2011, 05:08:27 PM »

What a hero. Although all of that doesnt sound too hard, just sounds like a long list. You also always have time for roaming/lurking and posting in the family thread so I really doubt there are any major difficulties in your job. And since supposedly most of the reports are from there, it's hard to believe you don't notice, since that's the board you frequent at most. Also I didnt make this but thought it fit in well here

So your hate really boils down to being butthurt about the existence of the family thread? Why bring up such an irrelevant detail?
    Are we not allowed to enjoy the forum now?

Thats actually a lot of work believe it or not, especially for a forum thats nothing but a hobby.I honestly don't think you realize that there is nothing in this for us.
    Theres no single way to do everything, and then there are people who seem to fight the staff for the sake of fighting power and nothing more. I mean the endless drama over something so stupid like post counts is a great example.

You guys take everything for granted.

SmashHackers
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1001 on: September 27, 2011, 05:18:49 PM »

So your hate really boils down to being butthurt about the existence of the family thread? Why bring up such an irrelevant detail?
    Are we not allowed to enjoy the forum now?

Thats actually a lot of work believe it or not, especially for a forum thats nothing but a hobby.I honestly don't think you realize that there is nothing in this for us.
    Theres no single way to do everything, and then there are people who seem to fight the staff for the sake of fighting power and nothing more. I mean the endless drama over something so stupid like post counts is a great example.

You guys take everything for granted.
    What? How does this have anything to do with my hatred for the unneeded family thread that does nothing but cause drama and errors on the forums? Im simply stating that he really doesnt make it sound like much work running the place.

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #1002 on: September 27, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »

Im simply stating that he really doesnt make it sound like much work running the place.
    If we had all day to spend doing this, then no, it would not be a lot of work.

But that's not the case.

SmashHackers
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1003 on: September 27, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »

If we had all day to spend doing this, then no, it would not be a lot of work.

But that's not the case.
    True story bro. Maybe you should find more people then. People who dont basically complain about being overworked/brag about all the stuff they do then state that theyre not complaining. And yeah you Oizen. You do the most here. A true hero. I can't take your level of hero-ocity for granted. Other people may but you battle through all the leachers and people who take it for granted and pull through and maintain a large crowd of fans that respect all the work you do here. Good job.

ℱira
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1004 on: September 27, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »

What? How does this have anything to do with my hatred for the unneeded family thread that does nothing but cause drama and errors on the forums? Im simply stating that he really doesnt make it sound like much work running the place.
    Oizen actually does going around warning people as a moderator so i think hes doing his job properly
    besides its not like the family thread is going to kill you or something so why bother?

even if the family may disappear, the time we spent together will not...
    Check out my DeviantArt:
    http://sigufaira.deviantart.com/
    Check out my Youtube too!: http://www.youtube.com/user/faira0496?feature=watch
    3DS FC: 0559-7845-4582
    other info:
    Pokemon Black FC: 0089 3748 7443
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 5072 0215 8028
    current persona: Yanmega
    siggy
    personas
    Nami (LoL)
    Amaterasu (Okami)

Pages:  1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 212
    Print
    Jump to: