Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: Would you be interested with a Private SSBB Server?
Hells yes! I'd always be on!
I'd love it, but don't play online much.
I'd play on it, but don't care much.
I wouldn't play on it, I'll Stick to the original.
I don't play online.

Pages:  1 [2]
Author Topic: SSBB Private Server  (Read 17411 times)
WTVelocity
Mega Kitten

Brawl Revamped Dev

View Profile WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 02:12:49 AM »

WTVelocity, I would like to know what programming language this will be written in. Even though I know little about manipulating received or sent packets, I may be able to help you with reverse engineering the actual files that handle the online capabilities.
I planned on it being whatever the easiest to use programming for this would be.
I tend to see most server apps running in C++, so even though I know Java would be more than possible, I was thinking C++ may be the easier ticket.

I honestly would be directing and debugging the scripts more than the programming itself, because I'm already involving myself in the project of the client and debugging it, as well as having to study laws for a job coming up...

For all the other comments, I'll read them after I get some sleep and can better comprehend and analyze them. Tongue

Lead Developer of Brawl Revamped Project
Brawl Revamped

VILE
Badass.
Holy Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container KCMM Old Timer Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 03:49:27 AM »

I planned on it being whatever the easiest to use programming for this would be.
    I tend to see most server apps running in C++, so even though I know Java would be more than possible, I was thinking C++ may be the easier ticket.

I honestly would be directing and debugging the scripts more than the programming itself, because I'm already involving myself in the project of the client and debugging it, as well as having to study laws for a job coming up...

For all the other comments, I'll read them after I get some sleep and can better comprehend and analyze them. Tongue
    Well my actual knowledge of being able to create in a programming language finishes at C# (and some other similar derivitives), I have a limited knowledge of C++, though.

Zephiel:
    You know what I really like on my stack smash?
    Texture updates.

Androu1:
    @Zephiel: “your” Stack Smash?

WTVelocity
    Mega Kitten

Brawl Revamped Dev

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »

Ok, I read most of the posts on the old Topic, and one of their arguments for why it wouldn't work is a falsified assumption: That Nintendo doesn't host the game at all, that it is all simply P2P.

Nobody has been apparently been able to even decode the networking protocols used for the internet yet: all that has been found is how to access the data packets through the WiFi to synchronize.
    But there is still more that tells it the Host name, how to resolve the host name/connection, and any passwords or data encryption needed to get it to connect.

How do I know Nintendo does? Simple number of reasons!

1)As stated above, nobody has been able to decode the protocol to safely say it doesn't or to say how the networking truly works.

2)We have already heard of a number of people banned for using hacks.
    IF it wasn't hosting on a server machine to monitor connections, there would be no gateway to block. If it's connecting through a gateway, that is still a form of a host, which can be emulated.

3)Anyone who has actually RUN private servers, beyond just running a file or to to make it run, and setting ports, knows that there has to actually BE an address to connect to.
    Wiis will NOT just randomly detect each other because they are running the same program or networking protocols.

Don't Believe me? Think of how long it takes for your computer to recognize a LAN game that you are running on another computer. It take a good minute sometimes, depending on connections, the game, and the protocol being used, to even SEE the other game on the network.
    Now, once it is connected, it can synchronize whether you are next door or in Korea.
    But obviously the Wiis are not powerful enough for projecting a game to every Device on the internet using that protocol to find it.

And the reason I said I believe the server reads bones and relays the data, is because we know how it desyncs when bones are renamed, but not by textures.

In other words, it's capturing the data of your movements, and refreshes other Wiis with that information. But why could some data change without a desync? Why only the bones?
    That's my reason behind believing that. It may not be 100% true, but somewhere in there lies how it works.

Brawl Revamped

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container KCMM Veteran Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:21 PM »

I'm an idiot Mario Facepalm

I already know that bone data is not sent through the network...
    what's sent through the network is the same data used in brawl replays.
    (I've known this for years)

that's why desyncs happen...

because on your wii you have a mod while they don't on their wii

their wii is using their data for your char
    (the data loaded into their wii's RAM)

so if you have a logic edit on your wii, and they don't
    the data on your wii will be different from the data on their wii when in-battle
    so you'll be sending your opponent flying on your wii,
    when they're stuck in the ground on their wii.

what causes a desync is when the game ends on their wii,
    and your still brawling on yours

me and roo were paying attention to our stock when we were on the verge of a desync
    I had 5 lives, he had 4 on my wii, but he had 5 lives and I had 4 on his wii

meaning controls and positioning were messed up throughout the net,
    causing me to... lets say... walk off the edge on his wii, while I'm fine on mine...

there was no actual freeze due to us still being in-game
    « Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:44:49 PM by Tcll » Logged

Quote: Friedslick6
    you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
    But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
    you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
    You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

WTVelocity
    Mega Kitten

Brawl Revamped Dev

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »

Tcll: That explanation is far from being able to say that it runs off the same protocols, which is why I'm understanding that you're trying to say (please correct me if you're wrong).

Here is why I've gathered by watching the games behavior, with my knowledge of game programming:

While it is true that the moves that show up in replays are different, depending on hacks being used, that doesn't mean that any part of that module would be used in transmitting data. Perhaps the recorded data may be SENT to both, the replay and network sending packets, but it would be unrealistic to send replay data itself.

Reason would simply be because that would require more system memory, and also risk it becoming unstable. It is comparable to asking your friend on your right to relay a message to your friend just to your left.

That is unless, by small possibilities, the game creates a giant replay window that you are actually PLAYING in. I haven't tried recording an online match, but considering you CAN replay online games, but not ones against the CPU, that could be a small possibility.

But in reality, all this is just possibility of speculation:
    We still have a .dat file that is being read by SOMETHING, and being interpreted and used for a connection.

There is a possibility that the Friends thing is actually a direct connection to other Wiis, not through Nintendo: but I have heard of people getting banned even playing through that.

So on that note, we have Wii Friend codes and such, and if I can recall correctly, you can check your Wii system code without Brawl, right?

That means there is a likely chance that Wiis are actually configured to connect to a Nintendo server as a proxy or gateway.
    If that is indeed the case, it would be no wonder that programmers before were unable to find the packeting data, if it is stored in the Wii, not the Brawl game!

Brawl Revamped

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container KCMM Veteran Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 06:15:36 PM »

That means there is a likely chance that Wiis are actually configured to connect to a Nintendo server as a proxy or gateway. If that is indeed the case, it would be no wonder that programmers before were unable to find the packeting data, if it is stored in the Wii, not the Brawl game!
    that's it exactly
    I know what it does, I just have a problem explaining things well -.-*

all I know is (on extremely basic terms) command data is sent to replays,
    and the same command data would be sent across the net...

IDK if the command data is converted before being sent to a replay file,
    but I do know that the least possible data to send in a short amount of time would be a command...

btw, there's a slight correction...
    the moves in replays are the same, no matter what hack you have...
    the replay only stores button data...

this would explain why:
    if you save a replay in B-, the char would walk off the edge in regular brawl.
    the protocalls stored in the logic and animation files would be different,
    causing the char to move differently when the command is pressed

Quote: Friedslick6
    you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
    But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
    you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
    You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

Pages:  1 [2]
    Print
    Jump to: