Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Current Popular Hacks: Why they should not be.  (Read 14316 times)
Velen
Resident Lucario
Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « on: July 14, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »

Many of us who make hacks want to be recognized for our talents in our different areas. PSAer's like people to get feedback on their hard work making them. Texture makers like to have their hard-made textures appreciated by people, and vertexers like feedback and appreciation as well.

Okay. Scratch that, everyone likes their hacks to be appreciated, but lets look at some facts:

1. Textures and PSAs often do not get as much appreciation as Stage and Vertex Hacks.
    2. Said Textures and PSAs often do not get much recognition unless they are on or of a popular character.
    3. Some PSAs that took much effort to complete (*coughcoughv-joecough*) are less appreciated than PSAs that took, by comparison only approximately 1/30 of the time to complete (*coughBurstSoniccough*).
    4. Stage Hacks are not shown much appreciation period unless they are of something popular, or display something one would consider awesome, or that display some kind of ingenuity.
    5. Textures on vertexes of popular characters often get more DLs, than textures that actually took a lot of effort to make. The best example of this would be my Melon Dress Peach and other high-quality textures VS. The hundreds of Shadows with only minor, almost negligible edits on them.

Let me expand on #5 a bit here:

My Melon Dress Peach is a high-quality texture hack I made on Peach some time ago, and by all rights, it deserves much more appreciation than it has. It only has 39 DLs under it's belt for about 1-2 weeks, and 100 Photoshop layers of work. Compare that the the hundreds of Shadow the Hedgehog edits there used to be in the vault, most of which to next to no time to make. Which got far more DLs than my masterpiece of a texture ever did.

It is clear the ratio of Effort to Appreciation is horribly skewed, and is absolutely disgusting when you actually take the time to think about it.

There has been another example of this in the PSAs area of the Vault.

SDo0ms most masterful hack (and by all rights, should be more popular) is Viewtiful Joe. It took him 6 months of work to complete, and yet it has less Downloads than Burst Sonic, a PSA hack that took only 4 DAYS to make and release. That's approximately 1/30 of the total time it took to develop and make Viewtiful Joe.

That is beyond asinine, and it shows how little people know about how much effort it takes to make a good hack.

Now. Discuss.
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:17:25 AM by Velen » Logged

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

PPXEXE
    Supreme Kitten

There are worst things then death.....

• Awards Fiery Topic Former PMDT Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »

I agree with you, i always want to make something i believe will like, but it seems that if your not making what people want you get no appreciation for it.

It's why i quit right in the middle of projects sometime, because i think to myself "Will people like this??"

Like recently i had the idea of Falco using 1 or 2 blasters through out his complete move-set. But then i looked in the vault to see what people are downloading and saw it would be just a waste of time.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=19502.msg351735#msg351735

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:33:01 AM »

Also agreed, it's a sad thing, really.
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:37:36 AM by Whitewolf8 » Logged

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

The Main Event
    Supreme Kitten

I will go out there and give a show like no other.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »

3. Some PSAs that took much effort to complete (*coughcoughv-joecough*) are less appreciated than PSAs that took, by comparison only approximately 1/30 of the time to complete (*coughBurstSoniccough*).
    Good Example.

DrPanda
    Special Access

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:49:34 AM »

I have to disagree with the Psa stuff to some extent... namely the not getting as much recognision as vertex/stage hacks.

I have seen a quite a few PSA's rack up DLs with ease despite clunky, unfinished or just plain crappy (not gonna mention any so as not to single them out), whilst a great texture gets pushed aside simply because it is put up next to the PSA Undecided

The thing that I find the most stupid is ports.
    Ignoring the fact that they feel lifeless to me, they often are lazily done and will freeze up your game if you use them.
    It just boggles my mind that they tally so many downloads but don't work Sad

Allbait
    Supreme Kitten

Fin Dovahkiin Fent Qahnaar Pah Paalle

• Awards Ninja Hot Topic Starstormer Dedicated Hacker

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »

It sucks how this happens... I also hate that Rosalina my WORST hack ever because I stopped trying, after I decided to leave normal peach in my game, is my most downloaded thing in the vault... And it kinda sucks how people say viewtful joe isn't appreciated... Its an awesome PSA and I'm pretty sure it IS loved by many but... Its over C.Falcon... Its very probable that a lot of people didn't download it either because they're gonna use C.Falcon for Goku or because (like me) they love using the sexy racecar driver of awesome...

Friend Safari: Bug (Masquerain, Butterfree, Pinsir)
    4613-8365-7114

Ultraxwing
    Holy Kitten

Master of the Vault!

• Awards Constructive Hot Topic KCMM Veteran Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »

Or you can Get Viewtiful Joe over Yoshi.

Some people (*coughmygayfriendscough*) Hate viewtiful joe cause "he's not a seriously bad ass character" and neither is pikachu yet you love him.

Okay how about my Clare Hack? it's mine yes and many others (i don't believe it's truly mine, even though i made the textures, and some glitch fixing. but it's well the whole teams character, i'm just the ring leader), and it took many people to make and 3 weeks to fix one single glitch. it's got some decent downloads. but shadow hacks and naruto prevail once again.

I don't like naruto. but he's better than Mr.GameandWatch. (yay .rel porting)

how about the first vertex hack. Cloud. This guy has way too much hype and a moveset was made and alot of the original good hacks have been forgotten. Zero, Pheonix Mario, Geno, etc.

i don't use them anymore cause, the newer ones in fluintity are way better in comparison. but from what i understand Zero has some pretty advanced coding, that i believe Sdo0m used to make Spiderman work properly.

the case and point is, that newer more anime based hacks usually outbeat the more realistic or awesome hacks.

i want to make Batman possible. but he's not the BlackKnight. i also want to modify clare, but i don't have the PSA knowledge and the person who probably would edit clare would only do it if she probably had a 1000 downloads.

it also discourages me from making hacks. all my hacks would be "too original" or way out of place.

i want to make a Gundam Hack, a Macross Hack, and an Inuyasha Hack (the last one will be first. thank you model importer.

Triforce Zelda (Deceased)
    Lol Kitten

6/30/10 - 8/18/11

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:04:38 PM »

Supply and Demand: They don't like the supply, they demand better supply. I'll personally check anything that gets my interest, no matter what kind of hack it is.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »

Oh....oh...oh!!!  I have another great example Awesome Face

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=13479

The number of times I've posted this up as an example of pure community fail is uncanny.  What is this you may ask?

It's Marth, with pointlessly increased air mobility, a stupid glide animation for the run, a couple of changed specials with some random stupid graphics thrown in there for no reason (not to mention these specials don't represent anything) and a cool Final Smash which he had nothing to do with (BigBadBooya made it like a boss).

And yet it has over 2000 downloads.  There is no justice Im srs here 

Ultraxwing
    Holy Kitten

Master of the Vault!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »

I Agree with Sdo0m.

i think the hacks which takes a long time to make.

when i say a long time, i mean actual effort, blood and sweat. Sdo0m spent the longest time on Viewtiful Joe. And i love him for it NO HOMO see what i did there Sdo0m, i do what you do. yeah i noticed

I still want to Update Clare. i'll probably redo My thread with the whole thing updated for feedback and suggestions.

i still want to make my Leonardo Hack. but his model is a [censored].

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »

Supply and Demand: They don't like the supply, they demand better supply. I'll personally check anything that gets my interest, no matter what kind of hack it is.

You're misconstruing the concept of supply and demand.

The concept of supply and demand is this:

- The less supply, the higher the price.
    - The more supply, the lower the price.

This isn't Economics class, this is about people making wonderful, awesome hacks and not getting the credit they deserve for it, or the hack not getting the recognition it deserves, because the majority of the community who don't post act like flocks of sheep, apparently.

Burst Sonic vs Viewtiful Joe is a perfect example of this, as is the example SDo0m himself posted.

In it's entirety, it's just plain stupidity.
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:53:06 PM by Velen » Logged

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Ultraxwing
    Holy Kitten

Master of the Vault!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »

Completely agreed with the above.

DrPanda
    Special Access

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

Here is my own opinion

I agree with the above comment... -_-

Mansta8
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Stack Smash Team Favorite'd Famous Hacker Ceiling Cat

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »

This is the fault of the highest downloaded count. One hack gets 50+ downloads, noob sees hack and believes that it is the best hack ever because it has a lot of downloads and gets it. Repeat thousands of times.
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:24:02 PM by MANSTA8 » Logged

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »

I feel I deserve the amount of downloads I get for MY hacks.

>_> After all, not a lot of people care about retro stuff anymore.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: