Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: WiiSCU  (Read 8829 times)
Kovu
Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:56:25 AM »

Alright, so. I have WiiSCU on my Wii (System Menu 3.2, if it matters).

I know it's to be able to update certain channels on the Wii without touching the system menu, but when I try to use it, I get some kind of error (which I'm too lazy to look up right now.)

Also if it matters, I'm not hooked up to Wi-Fi or anything.

What's wrong with it?

mnsg
Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »

You need to have internet access to use WiiSCU.  Fortunately, WiiConnect24 doesn't have to be on in order for you to use it.

If you get an error, try again, and hopefully you'll get it to work.  Just don't toy with the IOSes.

Tyeforce
    Hyper Kitten

Nintendo/Sonic Fanboy

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »

Fortunately, WiiConnect24 doesn't have to be on in order for you to use it.
    What's fortunate about that? Just having WiiConnect24 on won't force your Wii to update, you know. I don't know why some people think that. >_> Turning off WiiConnect24 is pointless.

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »

Keeping WiiConnect24 on does cause the SD card to feel quite warm, even if the Wii is off.

Also, I suggest that you think twice before updating to 4.2.  You might regret it if you do.  At least for me, I'm sticking to 4.0.

Tyeforce
    Hyper Kitten

Nintendo/Sonic Fanboy

• Awards Hot Topic

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »

Keeping WiiConnect24 on does cause the SD card to feel quite warm, even if the Wii is off.

Also, I suggest that you think twice before updating to 4.2.  You might regret it if you do.  At least for me, I'm sticking to 4.0.

Why? All it does is remove the Homebrew Channel, which can easily be reinstalled. And I've never noticed my SD card getting warm from WiiConnect24...

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »

Leaving WC24 on is just a bad idea. It heats the Wii without turning on the fan, which is a stupid design flaw. I'm pretty sure that's what fried my GC memory card. No proof, but I can't think of another reason for a memory card I got in 2007 to become irreparably corrupt while the card I got in the bundle with my Gamecube back in 2004 still works fine.

Then there's this: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=gamecube+memory+card+1019+wiiconnect24&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=ac72bcecad7dd685

Tyeforce
    Hyper Kitten

Nintendo/Sonic Fanboy

• Awards Hot Topic

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »

Leaving WC24 on is just a bad idea. It heats the Wii without turning on the fan, which is a stupid design flaw. I'm pretty sure that's what fried my GC memory card. No proof, but I can't think of another reason for a memory card I got in 2007 to become irreparably corrupt while the card I got in the bundle with my Gamecube back in 2004 still works fine.

Then there's this: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=gamecube+memory+card+1019+wiiconnect24&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=ac72bcecad7dd685
    Without WiiConnect24, you can't receive Wii Messages and other stuff. Many games use it, too, like Animal Crossing. It doesn't make the Wii heat up that much AT ALL... There must be something wrong with your Wii if it's getting overheated from WiiConnect24. And I rarely use my Wii to play GameCube games, so I don't usually don't have a memory card in my Wii, anyway. And when I did leave my GCN memory card in my Wii for long periods of time, nothing ever happened to it.

STUFF2o
    A Dapper Young Gentleman
    Supreme Kitten

Pimpin' IS easy!

• Awards Hot Topic Dedicated Hacker Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »

So THAT'S why my SD card is hot. I don't want my textures to melt so...

????
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »

I dont know and im not sure about this but when you close your wii, do you leave it at a yellow light or a red light? I think the yellow light is whats causing the problem since it keeps the wii partly on while its off, causing it to heat. Once i started leaving my wii off at the red light, everything went out alright (even when Wiiconnect is on). Smiley

Without WiiConnect24, you can't receive Wii Messages and other stuff. Many games use it, too, like Animal Crossing. It doesn't make the Wii heat up that much AT ALL... There must be something wrong with your Wii if it's getting overheated from WiiConnect24. And I rarely use my Wii to play GameCube games, so I don't usually don't have a memory card in my Wii, anyway. And when I did leave my GCN memory card in my Wii for long periods of time, nothing ever happened to it.

Your wii does overheat. It used to happen to me all the time until i left it at the right light, when i turn my wii off. My wii doesnt heat up any more.
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:05:42 PM by MrGameNwatch » Logged

Hakumen
    Outcast.
    Heroic Kitten

Retribution!

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container Pin Collector Dedicated Hacker

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

So THAT'S why my SD card is hot. I don't want my textures to melt so...

That explains why my Wii's been getting hot, and sometimes my SD card does get hot.

(8:15:26 PM) Vyse: I hope you get raped by a lumberjack
    (8:18:16 PM) Vyse: >:|
    (8:21:52 PM) Vyse: Two of them.

Tyeforce
    Hyper Kitten

Nintendo/Sonic Fanboy

• Awards Hot Topic

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »

I dont know and im not sure about this but when you close your wii, do you leave it at a yellow light or a red light? I think the yellow light is whats causing the problem since it keeps the wii partly on while its off, causing it to heat. Once i started leaving my wii off at the red light, everything went out alright (even when Wiiconnect is on). Smiley

Your wii does overheat. It used to happen to me all the time until i left it at the right light, when i turn my wii off. My wii doesnt heat up any more.
    No, no it doesn't. At least mine doesn't, and never has. Something must be wrong with your Wii, because I've had my Wii since launch, always having WiiConnect24 turned on, and it's never overheated at all.

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »

Yep. Everyone else has a busted Wii. Tyeforce's is the only one that works properly.

@G&W: I'm pretty sure turning the Wii off so the light is red disables WC24.

Tyeforce
    Hyper Kitten

Nintendo/Sonic Fanboy

• Awards Hot Topic

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »

Yep. Everyone else has a busted Wii. Tyeforce's is the only one that works properly.

I've never ever had a Wii overheat on me from WiiConnect24 in my life, and neither has anyone else I know. Why would Nintendo make a key feature of the Wii damage your console?? That doesn't make any sense at all. And there's a difference between overheat and a little warm. My Wii's always a little warm when it's plugged in. That's because it's using electricity. Things tend to get a little warm when they're using electricity, you know. I just think it's so dumb that people are turning off a key feature of their Wiis for no reason at all. If you're really scared that your GCN memory card or SD card will get broken somehow, then take them out when you're not using them, and always have a backup. Still, I've NEVER heard of that happening before. Just because it happened to a few people doesn't mean it'll happen to you. But do what you want... I enjoy being able to use every feature of my Wii.

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »

It did happen to me. I'm not "scared it will happen" -- it already did.

Neither I nor anyone else used the word "overheat." (Edit: G&W did. Oh well. He edited that since I read it.)

Not the most attentive reader?

Also, it's hardly a key feature if I've been getting along just fine without it for months. All those messages from Nintendo were annoying anyway.
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:30:46 PM by Vyse » Logged

Anyone
    Hyper Kitten

When my balz itch, I scratch em.

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »

I've never ever had a Wii overheat on me from WiiConnect24 in my life, and neither has anyone else I know. Why would Nintendo make a key feature of the Wii damage your console?? That doesn't make any sense at all. And there's a difference between overheat and a little warm. My Wii's always a little warm when it's plugged in. That's because it's using electricity. Things tend to get a little warm when they're using electricity, you know. I just think it's so dumb that people are turning off a key feature of their Wiis for no reason at all. If you're really scared that your GCN memory card or SD card will get broken somehow, then take them out when you're not using them, and always have a backup. Still, I've NEVER heard of that happening before. Just because it happened to a few people doesn't mean it'll happen to you. But do what you want... I enjoy being able to use every feature of my Wii.
    "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."  - Sherlock Holmes (Hope Dragonrage doesn't bust my ballz for this, but it just fits so well.)
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:38:33 PM by Anyone » Logged

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: