Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Changing FS eyes of characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff with GIMP  (Read 1846 times)
libertyernie
Lol Kitten

Go for the gold

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 King for a Day RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « on: November 08, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »

It is usually possible to retexture "flat-faced" characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff fully without ever touching Photoshop. (These are the characters with more than one EyeYellow image.) GIMP can do some of the same things with the alpha channel, albeit more awkwardly.

Note: This only works if you plan on keeping the character's eyes the same size, shape and position as the original.

1. Load your new FS eye image (including background) into GIMP.

2. Also load the .tga file you wish to replace. (I use ASH to extract and rebuild my .pac files; BrawlBox might work but I'm not sure.)

3. In the first image, go to Edit>Copy Visible to copy what you see.
    4. Select the second image. In the Channels pane (), deselect Alpha so only Red, Blue and Green are highlighted (see picture.)

5. Go back to the Layers pane () and press Ctrl+V to paste. A new layer will appear called "Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)". Right-click on it and choose "Anchor Layer".

The appearance of the image shouldn't have changed much when you anchored the layer. If it did, you probably did step 4 incorrectly.
    6. Now you should be able to save the .tga file and it should work in Brawl.
    7. If you want to be sure, go back to the Channels pane, select only Alpha (and deselect Red, Blue and Green). Press Ctrl+, to fill with black (assuming black is the foreground color, which it probably is.) Your original image should appear. If it does, you're good. Close WITHOUT saving (don't worry, you saved in step 6.)

I'm not the best at explaining it, so if you need clarification, just ask. It's a lot easier for me to do it in GIMP, since my Photoshop trial ran out and I don't want to buy or pirate it.
    « Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:57:30 PM by libertyernie » Logged

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: