Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to Use Magenta For Transparency in +2 Textures  (Read 6316 times)
Gazoinks
Th-the cake, it's a lie!
Extreme Kitten

• Awards Helping Hand

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »

This was originally a MeowMix forum guide, but I figured this should hopefully stem some questions so I decided to post it here.

How to Properly Use Magenta For Transparency in +2 Files

I've noticed that several people have asked for help about how to stop a magenta outline appearing on textures indexed with magenta, so I've decided to step in and squash those questions!  (This applies for CSPs too)

Needed
    • Adobe Photoshop (I use 7.0 but it should work on any version as long as you can index.)
    • A +2 texture to edit.
    • Basic Knowledge of Photoshop (Able to recognize brush tool, etc.)

Instructions
    (Click on a thumbnail to see the full picture.)

Step 1: Open your chosen +2 texture in Photoshop.  For my example we'll use Ike's hair.

Step 2: Edit whatever you wish about the texture.  In my example, I applied the chrome filter.

Step 3: Click on the color picker for the foreground and change it to 255,0,255.  Press ok.

Step 4: Select the brush tool and draw a little bit of magenta in an area where it's not touching any of your texture.

Step 5: If you haven't already, select the texture by control clicking the layer with your texture on it.  Go to Image>Mode>Indexed Color.  Set the pallet to local(perceptual), uncheck transparency and type the amount of colors the texture has in the color box (in Ike's case, 256).

Step 6: Almost done.  Press ctrl+shift+I (Windows) to invert your selection.  Go to Edit>Fill and choose foreground color (make sure the magenta is still set as your foreground color).

Step 7: Done!  Now save it and compile it using ASH, and poof!  No magenta outline!

If you have a question, post away!

Shukaku
    The Chaos Member
    Hyper Kitten

Release the Chaos within.

• Awards Hot Topic

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »

i know how to use magenta but is there a way to make the sharp edges smooth on
    ike's hair?

http://kittycorp.freecp.net/index.php?topic=72.0
    PROJECTS:
    Pain-100% Konan-100% Sasori-100%
    Itachi-100% Kisame-100% Kakuzu-100%
    Deidara-90% Tobi-5% Zetsu-0% Hidan-0%

VILE
    Badass.
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container KCMM Old Timer Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »

i know how to use magenta but is there a way to make the sharp edges smooth on
    ike's hair?

You can manually hex it, so the hair has smoothed out edges.

Zephiel:
    You know what I really like on my stack smash?
    Texture updates.

Androu1:
    @Zephiel: “your” Stack Smash?

Neon
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »

Someone right a guide on how to do this with gimp please.
    Smiley
    I tried once but it......didnt work right. It wasn't pink, but it turned out blue.

Someone model hack in Maka from Soul Eater (with Soul as the scythe) into Brawl when model hacks come out and you will become king of the world.

dally
    Mega Kitten

Shadow Being

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:59:14 PM »

...when you opened ikes hair, it already had the checkerboard background, how did you do that? when i open it, where yours is checkerboarded, mine is the color of ikes hair...

Neon
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:36:43 PM »

...when you opened ikes hair, it already had the checkerboard background, how did you do that? when i open it, where yours is checkerboarded, mine is the color of ikes hair...
    thats odd.
    checkerboard is transparency btw.

Someone model hack in Maka from Soul Eater (with Soul as the scythe) into Brawl when model hacks come out and you will become king of the world.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: