Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Author Topic: Character Model Importing for Dummies (Under Construction)  (Read 31427 times)
Beyond
♥God of Love
Special Access

...but nothing happened...

• Awards Hey! Listen! Ceiling Cat Active Contributor >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: November 05, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »

First off let me give you a basic rundown of what this tutorial covers. With the release of BrawlBox v0.65, it is now possible to import models from other games into Brawl, so I will be explaining how to import a model over an existing Brawl character and have it work as an single costume for that character.

This tutorial will cover things like importing a model and skeleton into max, basic rigging, proper import/export settings, and various glitch fixing.

*I will not explain where to get models from/how to rip models or where to get 3DS Max. Im srs here

Things you will need:
    - 3DS Max 2010 or 3DS Max 2011
    *I will be using 2011 in this tutorial, the same should apply to 2010
    - BrawlBox v0.65
    - A model you want to import
    - The .pac/.pcs of the character you want to port the model over.

Basic 3DS Max Navigation Guide:
    Zoom In/Out - Spin the scroll wheel
    Panning/moving your view - Ctrl + Scroll Wheel Button and drag
    Rotating your view - Alt + Scroll Wheel Button and drag
    Also, pressing the Z key while an object is selected will auto zoom on the object into view.

Alternatively, in the bottom right corner of 3DS Max, are your navigation tools.

You can use this for basic viewport navigation, such as zooming in and out and panning your view. Rest your mouse arrow over them to see each ones function.

Useful Links:
    BrawlBox v0.65 Development Thread
    Justin712's Rigging Tutorial
    Detach by ID Script
    Compatible .DAE Plugin

So lets get started!

Part I: Getting Stuff Setup
    1) *I will be using Snake as an example in this tutorial.
    Open up your characters .pac or .pcs in BrawlBox v0.65. You should see something like this:

2) Expand the ModelData[0], then the 3DModels(NW4R) folder and you should now see something similar to this:

3) Expand the MDL0. Then right click next to the gray box where it says Fit[YourCharactersName] and click "Preview".

4) The model preview window should pop up. Now take a good look at that model.  Wink
    *Use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out, right click+drag to move the model, ctrl+right click+drag to rotate the model.

5) Close the model preview window. Now right click the MDL0 again, but this time click "Export".
    A dialogue box should appear asking you to save your model. Name it whatever you want but make sure you save it as a .dae

We're done with BrawlBox so you can close it for now, now the real work begins....

Part II: Preparing your Skeleton
    1) Start up 3DS Max. You should see something like this:
    Get used to looking at this. You'll be looking at it for a while. <_<

2) Click the button in the upper left hand corner.
    - In the drop down menu, go down to and click Import:

- A dialogue box should appear asking what model you want import. Select the .dae you exported from BrawlBox earlier.

- This is important! Another dialogue box should appear similar to the one below, use the same settings as in the pic. The Cameras and Lights settings do not matter.

- *If you recieve an error similar to this, it's fine, and just click OK:

3) Your viewport should now look something like this:
    - Click within the bottom right preview window. And then in the bottom right corner of 3DS Max you should see this button , click it to expand your viewport.

Your viewport should now look something like this:

4) Now press the "H" key. This will bring up the "Select from Scene" dialogue box:
    Dummy Bones are identified by this symbol , Polygons are identified by this symbol .

- Scroll down and select all of the Polygons. Make sure you don't select any bones. Then Click OK.

- Press the "Delete" key, this will delete the polygons and should leave you with the imported Skeleton.

Your skeleton is now ready for a model to be rigged to it... now on to the hard part.....

This is the part of the tutorial where things may start to differ vastly between my examples and your actual workspace. I will try my best to explain the following concepts. If you are unfamiliar with working with 3DS Max, I would like to take this moment to draw your attention to the Basic 3DS Max Navigation Guide found at the start of the tutorial just in case you need it.

Part III: Preparing your Model
    1) Click the top left hand button again , and go down and click Import again. And import your model.

*Note, that 3DS Max will only display models compatible with it. Certain model formats may need additional plugins installed or scripts to be imported.

2) Depending on your model and it's format you may get a wide variety of results after it imported. It may be too large or too small, rotated the wrong way, or untextured.

*This is how my .obj imported:

3) Press the H key and make sure all of the polygons of your import model are selected and then click OK.
    Your model will have a white bounding box(es) around it:

4) Now that your model is selected, you have to position it so that it is relatively the same size and rotation as your Brawl skeleton.

These will involve using the Move , Rotate , and Scale tools found in your menu bar.

Or alternatively you can Right Click and select it from the quick menu that appears:

Using them is pretty simple. After selecting the tool on the menu bar, just click and hold within the crosshairs that appear on your model and drag. I won't go into too much detail here, it should be self explanatory once you play around with it.

5) You should have something similar to this, where your model is about the same size as your skeleton:

But as you can see, his arms aren't in T-pose. There are 2 solutions to this, I can either rotate the vertices of his arms into place or rotate his shoulder bones so that they match his current arms position. The same can be applied to other deformations your model may have. Do not MOVE the bones!

I'll explain both for you. I recommend you read through both even if you choose one method over the other.

- Rotating the bone into place
    1) To rotate the shoulder bone into place, I can can either press the H key and select the shoulder bone from the list or I can just click on it if I can see it within my viewport.

2) Then with the rotate tool, rotate it into place.

- Rotating the vertices into place
    1) To rotate the vertices into place, select all of your model. Then to the right of your viewport is the command panel, click the Modify tab on the command panel.

2) You should now see to your right something that says Modifier List. Click the drop down tab next to it and select Edit Mesh from the list.

3) An Edit Mesh modifier will be added to all of your model. Now to your right under your modifer settings, Click what looks like 3 red dots to change your selection mode to Vertex.

4) Your model should be covered in vertices. Now Click + Drag to select the portion of your model that doesn't quite line up. You can add onto your selection by holding Ctrl and subtract from your selection by holding Alt.

Then with your trusty move, rotate and scale tools; move the problems vertices into place. You can press Alt + X to make your model semi-transparent if that helps, press it again to undo it.

You'll probably want to spend more time making sure stuff like fingers line up than I did though...  Im srs here

6) If your model isn't textured, try dragging the textures onto the various parts of the model.

Part IV: Rigging your Model
    1) You should now have something similar to this, where your model and skeleton are relatively proportional to one another:

- Now with your model selected, go drop down the modifier list again and this time scroll down and select Skin. This will add a Skin modifier to all your model.

2) Under the modifier settings, Click the Add button next to where it says Bones:.

- A dialogue box should appear asking you to Select Bones. Go through and select ALL of the bones and then click Select.

3) You should now see the names of all your bones listed under the Skin Parameters to your right.

- Now click where it says Edit Envelopes and check the box next to where it says Vertices.

4) Now to start rigging. Click + Drag to select a portion of vertices you want to rig.

*I will be selecting the area from his left elbow to the end of his left arm.
    * Remember you can deselect vertices by pressing Alt + Click and make your model semi-transparent by pressing Alt + X

- Now scroll down through the Skin parameters, and click the button that looks like a wrench. This will bring up the weight tool.

5) Scroll back up through your Skin parameters to your list of bones and click the bone you want to weight your selected vertices to.

* I will be weighting my selection to Snakes LArmJ bone (his left elbow)

- Then under your weight tool, click the 1 button. This will set the influence of your vertices to the bone you selected to 1, meaning that they will move only with that bone.

6) Now to test your rig. Press the H key and select the bone you're currently rigging to from the list.

- With your rotate tool, rotate the bone. The portion you rigged and potentially other vertices that you haven't skinned yet should move with it.
    As you can see, there's some deformation around his elbow that needs some fixing so it bends smoother.

7) Make sure you undo any bone rotations you do. Then towards the bottom of 3DS Max, drag the timer a few frames forward.

* I will be moving it to frame 4

- Then towards the bottom hit the Auto Key button, this will create a key frame. Then select your bone again and rotate it.
    - Then click the Auto Key button again.

8] Now press the H key and select all of your model. Then click the Edit Envelopes button again.

- Then select the vertices around the problem area.

From the list of bones found under the Skin parameters, select the bone you're working with. Then under the Weight Tool, click the Blend button until it smoothes itself out.
    You can also try selecting the bones before/after the one you're working with in the hierarchy and click the Blend button, *so for my example I could also blend with his Shoulder bone and his Wrist bone since I'm working with his Elbow.

9) There may be a stray vertex/vertices that may need individual rigging to look right. Select those problematic vertices.

- Under the weight tool, it displays all the bones that this vertex or vertices are influenced by.
    If you click one of these bones and click the top + and - you can increase and decrease it's influence.
    You can also set a specific number by typing in a value in the box next to the Set Weight button, and then clicking that Set Weight button.
    Adjust the values until it looks right.
    *Snakes arm shouldn't move with his BustN bone so I set its influence to 0.

10) Go through and rig the rest of the vertices in the same manner. When you're happy with it and done, drag the timer at the bottom of the screen back to frame 0.
    Your model should be back to it's default pose:

Now that you're all rigged, it's time to get your model ready for Brawl....

Part V: Getting Your Model Into Brawl
    « Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:02:04 PM by Beyond » Logged

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:03:23 PM »

- On your Menu Bar, right click the Scale tool . This will bring up the "Scale Transform Type-In" box.

- If they aren't already, change the X, Y, and Z values to 100.

I don't want to interrupt construction, but you can skip this part by converting the model units to centimeters instead of inches on import (uncheck automatic). Wink

Beyond
    ♥God of Love
    Special Access

...but nothing happened...

• Awards Hey! Listen! Ceiling Cat Active Contributor >9000

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »

I don't want to interrupt construction, but you can skip this part by converting the model units to centimeters instead of inches on import (uncheck automatic). Wink

Why thank you, I will note that. Wink

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »

Loving how it's looking so far. Good thing I also have 2011! Now I'll wait for you to reach the part I need help with... Stretching. Cheesy

SonicBrawler
    Magical Girl
    Overlord Kitten

Bae

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Active Contributor Heart Container

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »

I'm following each step as you release them. Keep up the good work, and I hope I can release my first import once this is done being updated Cheesy

Quotes:
    Not all people have the luxury of being able to buy things whenever they want.

Some people are barely scraping by in the economy.
    Modding has made you guys so spoiled.

Puccio
    Extreme Kitten

Awesome battle. :DD

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »

I feel like a noob..but how do you import two models togheter? In two windows of the program?

Enzo scrive (14.48):
    *YOU DECIDE
    *KTH
    *I love you
    *but I love Jurio more
    KTH scrive (14.48):
    *i love you too
          VEGETAAAAA       scrive (14.48):
    *Phoenix.
    Enzo scrive (14.48):
    *oh and KTH don't forget Knucklini's shoes
    *LOL
    KTH scrive (14.48):
    *love/
    Enzo scrive (14.48):
    *lol
    KTH scrive (14.48):
    Enzo scrive (14.48):
    *i'm going to sleep now
    KTH scrive (14.48):
    *i hate you now srs
    Enzo scrive (14.48):
    *good night both of
    *what
    *!
    *:emo:
    *night man rotfl
    KTH scrive (14.48):
    *lol
    Best quote ever!

SmashClash
    This is my title.
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container >9000 Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »

I feel like a noob..but how do you import two models togheter? In two windows of the program?
    Drag a file or more onto the preview thing.

KTH
    French fries
    Special Access

• Awards Nintendo Revolution Team Heart Container Smash 3 Team Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »

Thank you for the tutorial, will wait for the complete.

DoctorFlux(Mariodk)
    Never Gonna Give You Up

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Heart Container KCMM 2012 Awards Winner >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »

can´t wait to this guide is done Cheesy

I Dont Take Requests & Dont Do Brawl Mods anymore Maybe Sm4sh modz later

megaminerzero
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »

This post has been Pac-Man approved!

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »

You're a saint for making this guide, B'yond.

I love that elaborate text you are using as well.

Just want to say thaaaaaaaaanks.

Tabuu Forte Akugun
    Boss Kitten

Smash 4 Main: Bowser

• Awards Heart Container Famous Hacker Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 06:02:22 PM »

Concise, easy to follow and understand... I'll bookmark this in case I ever get my hands on a warez 3DS max. Smiley

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »

Concise, easy to follow and understand... I'll bookmark this in case I ever get my hands on a warez 3DS max. Smiley
    good tut!!! Cheesy

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

Titanoverlord
    Mega Kitten

soon I will rise from the void reborn

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »

you made calumon have happy face  AWESOME 2.0!
    all i need is 3dsmax 2010 to start importing hopfully i will find or else i will call an amberlamps
    « Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:51:36 PM by Titanoverlord » Logged

xX_TheTerror_Xx
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 06:45:10 AM »

could this work for 2012 cuz i cant find trail for 2010 or 2011 -.-

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
    Print
    Jump to: