Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3
Author Topic: About Wii updates...  (Read 19034 times)
Elsewhat
Mega Kitten

My favorite Smiley: O_o

View Profile WWW Awards
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »

Will the most recent Hombrew update work with the newest Wii update?
 not impressed
If so, how do I update Hombrew? If not, will I have to update the Wii for it to work with Wii motion and/or Skyward Sword?

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic...  Oh shi~
  Kirby Dance PLEASE HELP AND THANKS!!!!  Kirby Dance

BriefCasey795
Supreme Kitten

What does one poot here?

• Awards Heart Container RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »

I also need help. I also want Kirby's return to dreamland so bad, but i fear my wii might get bricked, and i don't have bootmii as boot2! BTW It's not connected to the internet. Also, where can i get the new update?

I'm back after a long while.

Protoman.EXE
    Extreme Kitten

Netbattler pro.

• Awards Hot Topic Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »

1. You can bypass this update by loading the Skyward sword or other new Wii games with USB Gecko or something like that.

2. You want to udgrape your Wii, WITHOUT INTERNET? It's possible through very careful .WAD installs(google) but BE EFFN CAREFUL!! I permanently bricked my Wii, and this was befo BootMii, before Vertexing was possible! I have a new one, but Be careful. Don't make the mistake i did...  I see what you did there ...

But to get these files google loves you.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:11:10 PM by Luigi Wants MMX » Logged

Sig by Segtendo. Epic

BriefCasey795
    Supreme Kitten

What does one poot here?

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »

Wait you mean i can use gecko os to boot return to dream land? Also, does uninstallking every homebrew remove traces of it? I only have These:
    HBC
    Riivolution Channel
    BootMii as IOS

If i Remove these, will it be safe? or should i use that .wad? What does that .wad do anyway?

Sky Grounder
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »

The worst thing an official update can do, is remove the homebrew channel (and cIOS, if you've installed it).

However, there is a way to install homebrew channel on firmware 4.3, and that's by using using letterbomb (or any game exploit). http://please.hackmii.com/

OR

If you already have hbc, you can simply download this hackmii installer: http://bootmii.org/download/
    Put the 'boot.elf' file in a folder (name it whatever you want), put it in the 'apps' folder on the SD card, then load it through HBC.
    Your files should look like this: X\apps\"foldername"\boot.elf"
    When the installer has loaded, go to uninstall HBC, then re-install it. Also, if possible, install bootmii as boot2.

NOTE: If you've region-changed your wii (or done any kind of "hardcore" mods to the system menu), it will most likely brick with an official update.

3DS FC: 5370-0958-4818
    Wii U NNID: Doraleus

Elsewhat
    Mega Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »

So if I do get a new official update to play the game, it won't permanently brick my Wii? Also, I'm not sure it'll be safe to play Skyward Sword on the Wii without updating....

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »

USB Loaders also work for bypassing update partitions.  When you install an ISO onto a USB device, only the game partition is installed.

Of course, for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you do lose the ability to play any of the masterpieces, since each one has their own partition (none of which are included when installing the Brawl ISO).

Tempo_
    Supreme Kitten

You can't be restrained by common sense!

• Awards Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »

You're free to update if you want.

Be aware that if you update through the Disc Channel, you can potentially brick your Wii.
    If you load a game through Gecko, it should "update" your Wii without having to worry about bricking.

Asbel: "To protect those close to us!"
    Malik: "To be a completely badass!"
    Hubert: "To be a Tsundere nerd!"
    Richard: "To be completely FABULOUS!"
    All: "WE ARE THE TOGF MANLY MEN BRIGADE!"
    -kazemaru95421

[PICTURES REMOVED. Reason: All signature pics must fit a 695x200 frame, even when inside a spoiler.]

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Good Citizen Helping Hand

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »

since this topic is up, I wanna ask a simial question.

I wanna have skyward sword and dreamland but I am scared about HBC and I will not download it Im srs here
    anyway, I tried to install USB Loader GX with cIOS but I failed,
    however, I see now I can't play SSBB though discplay and only on Riivulotion. when I tried to play MKWii on Riivulotion, I can't play it on discplay either D:
    worse case, I dont have bootmii and I can only get bootmii by reinstall HBC but the only way for me to install HBC is from stack brawl but discplay can't read SSBB D8
    so my question is like this:

1. if I update my wii, will this fix itself? I believe it's something about the cIOS and though the nintendo will update those to regular so I think it will fix itself but I dont wanna buy a new wii if I am wrong.

2. will HBC disappear if I update it? I am unsure about this,
    my wii had updating itself twice, once with NSMBWii and HBC stayed, but the second time, it disappeared D:

Stupid Tinypic :C

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

You need the HBC in order to use any USB Loader programs.  You're pretty much screwed if your Wii's disc drive is not working, especially since you need it to run Brawl, and execute the Smash Stack exploit.

Elsewhat
    Mega Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »

Hrm... so I gave up and updated my Wii.  not impressed

I switched it back on...

and my Homebrew channel was still there.   Im srs here

So I ignored that for a bit and downloaded a game.

The game I downloaded on the shop channel worked fine.

I started up Homebrew, Gecko, and then Brawl.

I put in the Gamecube game I played before updating back in. That worked fine.

Everything works fine.   Happy Face
     Im srs here

not impressed

WHY!?!

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Good Citizen Helping Hand

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »

You need the HBC in order to use any USB Loader programs.  You're pretty much screwed if your Wii's disc drive is not working, especially since you need it to run Brawl, and execute the Smash Stack exploit.
    funny thing is:
    I dont need USB loader lol
    my disc drive CAN read every game I have EXCEPT for SSBB and MKWii.
    MKWii was unreadable after I used it in riivulotion so I believe it's something there :[

Stupid Tinypic :C

BriefCasey795
    Supreme Kitten

What does one poot here?

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »

It  a virtual Console game, so idk. You can run pirated VC games on an updated firmware i think, its just that if you upgrade to the current 4.3 i think it is, you lose HBC, and pretty much everything goes downhill from there. Not sure abt Riivolution though.

Wait, are you pirating Dreamland? Then just install the WAD file using WAD Manager, simple. Unless your installing something heavy like a whole firmware upgrade, you'll be safe. Cheesy
    I'm not trying to pirate it lol. But I do want it though...
    You're free to update if you want.

Be aware that if you update through the Disc Channel, you can potentially brick your Wii.
    If you load a game through Gecko, it should "update" your Wii without having to worry about bricking.

Oh that's good. So it bypasses the Homebrew brick thing? If so, I can just get the game and load it through Gecko OS, and wii updates itself without the risk of bricking? if so, then i guess i shoulde be fine! Cheesy
    Hrm... so I gave up and updated my Wii.  not impressed

I switched it back on...

and my Homebrew channel was still there.   Im srs here

Everything works fine.   Happy Face
     Im srs here

not impressed

WHY!?!

It didn't brick your wii!? did you like only have HBC and bootmii as ios? Because i feel like uninstalling bootmii as ios. But Now i'm really not sure. should i follow what Tempo_ said? or what elsewhat said? Elsewhat, what homebrew software do you have in your wii? Also, would bootmii as ios brick your wii if it gets detected? because i already made a nand backup. I have these:

Homebrew Channel
    Bootmii as IOS
    Riivolution Channel

and that's it. Would it brick my wii if i updated through disc channel with these still in my wii?

Sky Grounder
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »

Hrm... so I gave up and updated my Wii.  not impressed

I switched it back on...

and my Homebrew channel was still there.  Im srs here

Everything works fine.  Happy Face
     Im srs here

not impressed

WHY!?!

Why should it brick? Just because you have some mods on the wii doesn't mean an update will search for the mod and then brick your wii, it will simply remove it or overwrite it.
    Some updates search for IOS/cIOS to check the version. And if the version is lower than the version in the update, the IOS will be overwritten with the new one.
    A way to avoid to avoid overwriting of current cIOS is to re-install the cIOS with a higher revision number than the update (preferably max number).

About the HBC, a system menu will search for blacklisted channel IDs (such as HAXX), and if it finds one, it will simply be deleted.
    However, the latest HBC ( 1.0.8 ) isn't blacklisted by any system menus so far (as of 4.3), so if you install it, it won't be removed by any recent updates.

3DS FC: 5370-0958-4818
    Wii U NNID: Doraleus

Tempo_
    Supreme Kitten

You can't be restrained by common sense!

• Awards Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »

No homebrew app really requires The Homebrew Channel; the channel just makes it quicker to access so you don't run the exploit everytime.

pikazz, Homebrew Channel is safe to install; you can even do this without a disc.
    On HackMii, there's a little app called "HackMii Installer". You can run it with another app called "BannerBomb" (if you're in System Menu 4.2 or less) or "LetterBomb" (if you're on System Menu 4.3). HackMii Installer can install Homebrew Channel and BootMii and I highly recommend getting both.

Asbel: "To protect those close to us!"
    Malik: "To be a completely badass!"
    Hubert: "To be a Tsundere nerd!"
    Richard: "To be completely FABULOUS!"
    All: "WE ARE THE TOGF MANLY MEN BRIGADE!"
    -kazemaru95421

[PICTURES REMOVED. Reason: All signature pics must fit a 695x200 frame, even when inside a spoiler.]

Pages:  [1] 2 3
    Print
    Jump to: