Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texture Making Help  (Read 3617 times)
Acarus
Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »

So, I'm probably just one of the many who've ran around asking for help with indexed textures.

I'm currently using GIMP for my textures, and had been just ignoring the indexed textures until I decided I wanted to make a texture for Donkey Kong. So I extracted his .pac and to my disappointment found that almost every single one of his textures are indexed. So I did some digging around and found that apparently Photoshop will allow me to fix these rather bothersome indexed textures.

Could anyone explain to me exactly how to do this and what version of Photoshop I'd need?
Thanks.

LookItsLink
Look-Its-'Nother-Addiction
Special Access

mhmm.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container Staff Helper

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:06:57 PM »

Pretty much any version of Photoshop would work, I'd go with CS3 if you can get it though. To index in Photoshop go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color. Select Local (Perpetual) in the Pallete dropdown menu and type the number colors you want.

Acarus
    Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »

Great, works now. Just one more thing, how do I add transparency on these?

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:26:09 PM »

Great, works now. Just one more thing, how do I add transparency on these?

If you're using ASH, transparency on the normal textures is represented by the Alpha Channel.  For the indexed textures, you need to fill the transparent areas with perfect magenta (#ff00ff).

If you're using SmashBox (BrawlBox), ALL transparency is represented by the Alpha Channel, regardless of if the texture is indexed or not.

On a side note, only certain textures support transparency.  Any texture named tex#00_00, tex#00_01, tex#00_04, tex#00_08+1, and tex#00_09+1 can't be transparent at all.

Textures named tex#00_02, tex#00_03, tex#00_05, tex#00_06, tex#00_08+2, tex#00_09+2, and tex#00_14 do support transparency, but only for texture parts that have transparent areas.

Characters like Mario and Meta Knight can't be transparent at all, but Zelda and Ganondorf can be almost fully transparent.

Acarus
    Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »

That helps, but now when I add the magenta in the parts meant to be transparent, everything seems to go fine in ASH, but it ends up churning out a 0KB .pcs
    Anyone got a fix for this?
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:34:52 AM by Acarus » Logged

Acarus
    Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:18:33 AM »

Anyone?

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »

That helps, but now when I add the magenta in the parts meant to be transparent, everything seems to go fine in ASH, but it ends up churning out a 0KB .pcs
    Anyone got a fix for this?

Try refreshing the folder that the PCS file is in.

Acarus
    Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:04 AM »

What do you mean by that? And is it necessary to remove the alpha channel when making a +2 texture transparent? 'Cause that's something I haven't been doing.
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:19:12 AM by Acarus » Logged

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 08:33:24 AM »

What do you mean by that? And is it necessary to remove the alpha channel when making a +2 texture transparent? 'Cause that's something I haven't been doing.

If you're using a PC, press the F5 button to refresh the folder that you're viewing.

Regarding the indexed textures, TarGA (.tga) images do not have an Alpha Channel when indexed, which is why you need to fill the transparent background with magenta (#ff00ff) AND remove the Alpha Channel during the process.

If you're using SmashBox and saved your texture parts as PNG images, the images can have an Alpha Channel, even if the texture parts need to be indexed.

Acarus
    Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 09:08:18 AM »

Still same problem, I'm starting to wonder if its a problem with the specific sheet I'm working on (DK's body)
    I'll try something else

Acarus
    Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »

Yep, it's definitely DK that's causing the problem. I tried using transparency on some other characters and it turned out fine.

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »

Yep, it's definitely DK that's causing the problem. I tried using transparency on some other characters and it turned out fine.

Well, DK is tricky to edit, due to his semi-transparent hairs.  However, semi-transparency is negated when you index an image.

Also, you can change the color format from Indexed to RGB, and vice versa at any time.

Acarus
    Advanced Kitten

Lawlz0urz

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »

Alright well I did some fiddling around, and I got it to work  Awesome Face
    Thanks for all your help

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: