Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 1294 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 1300 ... 1331
Author Topic: WIP Workshop  (Read 4596849 times)
LC-DDM
Not your average sprite!
Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19440 on: October 01, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »

Your mistake was assuming Brawl Modding was a popularity contest. If you're doing it for the likes rather than just the fun of it, don't let the door knock your ass on your way out.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19441 on: October 01, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »

Your mistake was assuming Brawl Modding was a popularity contest. If you're doing it for the likes rather than just the fun of it, don't let the door knock your ass on your way out.

I don't know what to think, honestly, I like modding, don't get me wrong, however, I inadvertently find myself comparing my works to others who make models from scratch (something I have a lot of respect for, because that is incredibly difficult to do). And all I do is rig models over existing animation skeletons; I don't do PSA hacks, I don't edit move sets, just vanilla character modding. Given the amount of time and effort people put in said hacks, mine look [censored]ty in comparison. That's how I feel, and it's proving to be very hard for me to try to come back into the groove after so long.

ShadowLuigi~NG~
    Lol Kitten

I make mods and mod accessories

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Panic! Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #19442 on: October 01, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »

I don't know what to think, honestly, I like modding, don't get me wrong, however, I inadvertently find myself comparing my works to others who make models from scratch (something I have a lot of respect for, because that is incredibly difficult to do). And all I do is rig models over existing animation skeletons; I don't do PSA hacks, I don't edit move sets, just vanilla character modding. Given the amount of time and effort people put in said hacks, mine look [censored]ty in comparison. That's how I feel, and it's proving to be very hard for me to try to come back into the groove after so long.

The biggest mistake you can make is comparing your work to others and let it affect you. Instead, use that admiration to become better at model importing. That is pretty much what 90% of my mods are, no matter the game. Textures and models are my personal favorite. I chose to look at the finer works and fine tune my own mods. Compare my 2012 stuff to things from 2015. Large difference in quality and effort. With patience and time, your work can look as great as you want it to. Look for your own approval, not the mass. Why? The mass is never fully satisfied. Work until you find the beauty of your mods. I went way off topic. Sorry. I would have messaged, but a quick general message is also good for those down times.

Loving the mods here though!

JBG
    Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
    Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19443 on: October 02, 2015, 12:01:23 AM »

Boy skippy, it takes a lot to get this old codger prattlin', but you kids managed to go and do it.

I think another mistake is that your'e coming back to Brawl modding at all. I'll sound cynical when I say it, but you're much better off finding aother form of modding, like importing Smash 4 models into Source Filmmaker or Garry's Mod. Brawl modding is a dying medium, and honestly people are refusing to accept it.

Still, I suppose it's a good way to keep your skills handy, if you think about, it, because Smash 4 modding is slowly becoming a thing, what with the Chrom model replacement for Marth and all. Still, I suppose we all need something to do till then.

It is and it isn't. Yes, Brawl modding can be fun in it's own right, but that fun can be quickly snuffed out if one isn't motivated enough. And kindling for that motivation is certainly likes, feedback, and download numbers. Nothing drastic, mind you, but a solid 300-400 downloads on a mod can mean the world to some modders. But again, it's a dying medium, so reaching that point in a moderately timely manner is near impossible.

Hell, I'm willing to say I'm a professional artist now. And there are times when I wonder what the point of it is. There are dozens of other artists out there better than I am, hundreds, if not thousands even. But then I get that one little note in my inbox. A comment on a drawing that says "Good Job!" And I feel more motivated to work. There's one person who's honestly made it a habit to leave a constructive critical comment on each piece I do, and that always makes me want to strive and get better at it.

So, LC, it is a popularity contest to an extent. If you're not noticed, you're not going to get the feedback or comments to make you want to keep going. So you need to find a way to get noticed, simple as that.

Overall, I know I've got conflicting messages here. I'm not saying "stop Brawl modding," I'm saying "Don't put your faith in it to test you to your fullest." Don't be vain, but don't be afraid to take pleasure in getting comments and feedback on your work. Don't compare yourself to others, but take inspiration from them, see what's working for them and if it works for you.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19444 on: October 02, 2015, 12:57:24 AM »

Boy skippy, it takes a lot to get this old codger prattlin', but you kids managed to go and do it.
    I think another mistake is that your'e coming back to Brawl modding at all. I'll sound cynical when I say it, but you're much better off finding aother form of modding, like importing Smash 4 models into Source Filmmaker or Garry's Mod. Brawl modding is a dying medium, and honestly people are refusing to accept it.

You're not being cynical, you're being honest, and I appreciate that. Couple of problems with Smash 4 modding and extracting, I have no way to extract models;  I know how to port them into SFM no problem, the issue is I don't know how to extract and decrypt Wii U game data. Yeah, kind of a problem because I have no way to do it. Yes, Smash 4 hacking is slowly picking up, I understand that, the other problem is that the program used, Caffiine, is that it's not very user friendly either, at least not yet.  But I digress, Smash 4 hacking will become more commonplace and replace Brawl, at least for the most part I think, if someone can point me in the right direction in how to extract Wii U data, I can help porting over for sure.  I have some ideas on how to get the data, but extraction....ugh.

The biggest mistake you can make is comparing your work to others and let it affect you. Instead, use that admiration to become better at model importing. That is pretty much what 90% of my mods are, no matter the game. Textures and models are my personal favorite. I chose to look at the finer works and fine tune my own mods. Compare my 2012 stuff to things from 2015. Large difference in quality and effort. With patience and time, your work can look as great as you want it to. Look for your own approval, not the mass. Why? The mass is never fully satisfied. Work until you find the beauty of your mods. I went way off topic. Sorry. I would have messaged, but a quick general message is also good for those down times.

Loving the mods here though!

Indeed, I like this community, I've been here for some time, except for my recent hiatus, I haven't submitted a character mod in some time, I admit. That being said, I could redo some of my old mods that I know I can rig better, and yet, with the advent of Smash 4 hacking, I don't know what I can do. I'm part of a hacking/gaming forum that's been working on Wii U hacking, so I can ask there for further help on getting assets from the game itself and port them over.
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:01:59 AM by the_randomizer » Logged

JBG
    Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
    Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19445 on: October 02, 2015, 01:07:28 AM »

Models: https://www.mediafire.com/?e7tacds6nrot6

Decryption programs and tutorial: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27874399/Models/SmashBrosU.html

Got this stuff bookmarked. I myself am currently working on Palutena, and am decently far along. I know Taco is doing Link.

It's worth noting, though, that you'll need to take the alpha channel of the bump map, and copy it onto the normal texture as a Multiply layer. Smash 4's lighting engine is weird like that.

These an be worthwhile to anyone that wants to port them into Brawl too.

Tabuu Forte Akugun
    Boss Kitten

Smash 4 Main: Bowser

• Awards Heart Container Famous Hacker Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19446 on: October 02, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »

I myself happen to be slowing down my Brawl modding considerably. But not because of lack of popularity. I used to love it and be unable to get enough of it. But I'm losing my motivation semi-quickly and the will to do it. I want to do something more productive. Tongue

I'm slowly leaning more toward developing my Smash fan-game, for which my animation and model converting "skills" from Brawl serve me well. And it's in Unity: making it the first non-sprite-based Smash fan-game. Animating in 3DS max is a lot like in the new Brawlboxes with the rotate gizmos.

There ARE a few Brawl mods I want to finish. But for now they're not a priority. JBG is right, it's a dying hobby. Feedback is getting more and more rare and stuff and it can be hard to stay motivated. Even my interest in playing modded Brawl has diminished. The sheer amount of good hackers' threads dying into oblivion is mind-boggling.

So I just take breaks and slow myself down. Randomizer, you shouldn't let that get you down. Smiley IF you love to do it, just do it. ^^

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19447 on: October 02, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »

I myself happen to be slowing down my Brawl modding considerably. But not because of lack of popularity. I used to love it and be unable to get enough of it. But I'm losing my motivation semi-quickly and the will to do it. I want to do something more productive. Tongue

I'm slowly leaning more toward developing my Smash fan-game, for which my animation and model converting "skills" from Brawl serve me well. And it's in Unity: making it the first non-sprite-based Smash fan-game. Animating in 3DS max is a lot like in the new Brawlboxes with the rotate gizmos.

There ARE a few Brawl mods I want to finish. But for now they're not a priority. JBG is right, it's a dying hobby. Feedback is getting more and more rare and stuff and it can be hard to stay motivated. Even my interest in playing modded Brawl has diminished. The sheer amount of good hackers' threads dying into oblivion is mind-boggling.

So I just take breaks and slow myself down. Randomizer, you shouldn't let that get you down. Smiley IF you love to do it, just do it. ^^

Right, I don't want to stop altogether, but I do see where you're coming from; with the advent of Wii U hacking (as I've been doing some behind-the-scenes testing myself, not actual programming), SSB4 hacking is inevitable at this point with Caffiine and all that. Having said that, I still want to do hacks, notably old hacks I want to redo the rigging with, Esper Terra, Krystal, etc especially, because I know I can do better with those this time around. I just hope I can remember how to make the weapons invisible until they're needed Grin  Anyways, thank you everyone, for your words, with that said:

If only I could make new textures from scratch ^^
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:21:09 AM by the_randomizer » Logged

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19448 on: October 02, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »

Personally, I don't care if brawl moding is dying and is not as popular as before, I do brawl hacks for my own use but I happen to share them with the public. For this same reason, you will never see me in other big modding communities like SFM, GMOD or even XNA; mostly because brawl is the only modding thing I know how to do lol.

But don't mind me, I'm just passing by to show some model previews:

StupidMarioFan1
    Angel Kitten

Not as active as I used to be.

• Awards Star Hacker RAGE!! Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #19449 on: October 03, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »

Is that Kyle Katarn from the Star Wars games? :O
    I also don't care if Brawl hacking isn't what it once was, I know I'll be using it for a long time because it's how I make my animations, weird process I know but it works, plus Brawl Hacking is almost at the point of Super Mario World hacking where anything is possible so I know there'll be people making hacks for this for years from now. Will this forums still be popular by then, don't know, I can see this becoming like Jul Hacking Forums where you have only a few members posting tutorials and answers to questions, but oh well. I still enjoy making Brawl Hacks...sometimes it feels more like a chore but I do still enjoy them. Just don't get as much time to work on anything now that I'm in college so my slow rate of getting stuff down is now even slower. Mario Facepalm

Post Merge: October 04, 2015, 03:10:51 PM
    Hey Bad Box Art Mega Man, happy now? lol

Still waiting on Program to reply back to my PM on Chica, so I decided to start Freddy since I had free time this weekend, rig is complete, now to optimize him, add expressions and apply his materials & shaders before doing the recolors and all of that. Oh and the Golden Freddy version of course. lol
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:10:51 PM by StupidMarioFan1 » Logged

I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

Krystal_Starfox
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19450 on: October 05, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »

Right, I don't want to stop altogether, but I do see where you're coming from; with the advent of Wii U hacking (as I've been doing some behind-the-scenes testing myself, not actual programming), SSB4 hacking is inevitable at this point with Caffiine and all that. Having said that, I still want to do hacks, notably old hacks I want to redo the rigging with, Esper Terra, Krystal, etc especially, because I know I can do better with those this time around. I just hope I can remember how to make the weapons invisible until they're needed Grin  Anyways, thank you everyone, for your words, with that said:

If only I could make new textures from scratch ^^

the_randomizer....Fox no bones I would like it to be for Fox

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19451 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »

the_randomizer....Fox no bones I would like it to be for Fox

Fox's skeleton is weird, the problem with porting her over fox is one, the male voice sounds weird on a female character; I've tried replacing the voice with Krystal voice samples, but ultimately failed (the samples were too quiet). Two, his body is way too stumpy/stout for her build where peach is not and has a perfect skeletal structure without using one-slot size mods. My using Peach over Fox to port her over is a design choice more than logical. That, and with Fox, you wouldn't be able to use her staff as a weapon like you would with Peach.

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19452 on: October 05, 2015, 10:16:47 AM »

You could bone edit it or in the worst of cases, add the known flag as I do with my imports that requires bone edits. Plus for the voice I realized it is a good way to set 1 slot sounds in the PSA, yet again, it would be too much editing for an import unless you really think it's worth it

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19453 on: October 05, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »

You could bone edit it or in the worst of cases, add the known flag as I do with my imports that requires bone edits. Plus for the voice I realized it is a good way to set 1 slot sounds in the PSA, yet again, it would be too much editing for an import unless you really think it's worth it

Never done bone edits before, I wouldn't know what bones to edit, much less how as I've been on quite a hiatus for Brawl modding, top that off with the fact I may need to be pointed in the right direction for a tutorial on how to bone edit. I could have sworn editing bones was a big no no due to how much it can break things, I'm the wrong guy to do it, also, not idea how to do PSAs, never done that either. I don't see why Krystal over Peach is a bad choice, but if someone can suggest how to go about porting her over a more fitting character and editing the bones, I will.

StupidMarioFan1
    Angel Kitten

Not as active as I used to be.

• Awards Star Hacker RAGE!! Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #19454 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »

Thank you Ganondorf for being so low-poly, absolutely love how much I had to optimize Freddy.
    Seriously, I had to remap the head and body so they didn't look like complete [censored] because of how much I had to optimize those parts. And he is just under 3x Ganondorf's size and doesn't crash the game, meaning this is still high-poly for Ganondorf! O_o I mean come on, didn't have to optimize this much with the others. Mario Facepalm I avoided optimizing the hands because 1. didn't realize that I would need to optimize this much, and 2. I wanted his hands to have a great rig.

Anyways, got expressions, metals and FS eyes, still need to do the shadow model before I go on to the recolors and Golden Freddy version though.

I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

Pages:  1 ... 1294 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 1300 ... 1331
    Print
    Jump to: