Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 25
Author Topic: DAE Model Importing for Dummies  (Read 104851 times)
the_randomizer
Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »

I assume by what he said about "repeating the steps for each vertex", he means weighing it, blending, etc for each individual bone?  Do I have to rotate the bones to a specific axis or do I just rotate it until I see a problem area, and THEN weigh it? This is probably why the animations aren't working properly in BrawlBox (lots of distortion). Then there's exporting the textures from 3DS Max, which I still don't know how to do....

What I want to know is, do I need to repeat steps 1 through 10 in section 4 (model rigging) for EVERY single bone, or do I just select the vertices and change the influence and use the blend button?
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:01:15 AM by the_randomizer » Logged

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

rotate the bones to logical positions, after making that perfect, check out for extreme locations, since some characters have rather extreme animations...

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »

So the answer to my question would be "yes", I need to follow all ten steps for all the vertices.....*sigh*. Such is life. I'm new at rigging polygons and the whole process of using/trying to understand 3DS Max is making my head on the verge of exploding (because I feel tremendously overwhelmed). What about the no. of frames (the slider)? Does that stay at zero or should be at a fixed frame for all the bones? It seems that no matter which vertices I select, it's never the bone I want to work on (I think it's on one,  but ends up being on another).  This is beginning to frustrate me to no end.
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:50:35 AM by the_randomizer » Logged

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Boygos Certified: Pokemon Master Fiery Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »

^^^ You're not the only one, buddy. I feel the exact same way: I'm completely new to this as well and it's really overwhelming. My advice would be to take it easy: don't try to do too much in one day. I don't think EVERY bone needs blending, I think it's only the body parts that rotate like the elbow and knees. I dunno, I could be wrong since I'm just as new as you are. What I'm doing is putting other imports into 3DS Max so I can observe what vertices they rigged to which bones.

You're asking if the process has to be repeated for EVERY SINGLE bone, right? I've been asking the same thing, but nobody has answered that directly yet.

Post Merge: March 18, 2012, 03:39:25 PM

Gah, I can't seem to diffuse the rest of Link's legs. I know it's not complete because his squatting position looks like that. Is there an alternative solution besides weighting the vertices to the appropriate leg? Could I just delete the few questionable vertices (if so, please state how because I've already looked and I can't find that option) that are most likely causing the legs to intertwine? If I can't delete vertices, could I weight those few questionable vertices onto a different bone that will unfuse the legs but won't make the animations look TOO sloppy?
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:41:03 PM by FaIIenKing » Logged

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »

You're absolutely right, I'm diving farther into this than I can handle right now, and this learning program, like so many things in life, needs to be done one step at a time. What program(s) did you use to rip the models from Skyward Sword?
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:18:25 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »

I actually got it from this topic: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=41328.0

I've never ripped my own models yet, but I intend to some day. I've heard that you can use Wiiscrubber to rip models from iso's. Make sure you get a good iso, because I tried to use Wiiscrubber but all of my iso's were pretty much empty (though they still work on my Wii's backup launcher or whatever it's called). Maybe it's because I got "scrubbed" iso's when I needed the raw "unscrubbed" iso's? I'm not sure.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »

I know some games use .mdl0 and others use weird formats. I have a program called Wii Backup Fusion or WiiBaFu which is like WiiScrubber, so I can use that..
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:05:17 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »

This happens when I replace FitLucario00's mdl0 file with the .dae I exported in BrawlBox, which is in this case, Wolf.  Oddly enough, I don't get errors when exporting in 3DS Max, which I'd think would give me beforehand.  
    I just wish pressing "H" in 3DS max didn't show both sets of bones.

Here's the picture. Should have posted it earlier

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »

This happens when I replace FitLucario00's mdl0 file with the .dae I exported in BrawlBox, which is in this case, Wolf.  Oddly enough, I don't get errors when exporting in 3DS Max, which I'd think would give me beforehand.  
    I just wish pressing "H" in 3DS max didn't show both sets of bones.

Here's the picture. Should have posted it earlier

Usually that error is caused when bones aren't included in the skin modifier.
    If that's not the case, it's probably the model's rig that's got a problem.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »

Yeah, there's a lot I need to learn (just started learning how to use 3DS Studio Max 2011) and I will eventually need to learn more about rigging and weighting vertices (which I know next to nothing about). I know there are tutorials on these forums, and when it comes to rigging, I REALLY need to pace myself, because if I don't, I will get overwhelmed.  It's just finding out what vertices influence what, what bones affect what bones, and so on. I really want to learn how to do everything I need to hack.

Should I post a video showing an example of what it is I'm doing?
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:37:16 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »

Yeah, there's a lot I need to learn (just started learning how to use 3DS Studio Max 2011) and I will eventually need to learn more about rigging and weighting vertices (which I know next to nothing about). I know there are tutorials on these forums, and when it comes to rigging, I REALLY need to pace myself, because if I don't, I will get overwhelmed.  It's just finding out what vertices influence what, what bones affect what bones, and so on. I really want to learn how to do everything I need to hack.

Should I post a video showing an example of what it is I'm doing?

What step are you on for this particular guide? It doesn't sound like you have the proper model data. Were you using the .obj file in 3DS Max? Were you following this guide or did you skip a few steps? If you can't get this particular step to work, choose a different model.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 12:45:34 AM »

Step IV, Rigging the Model, pretty much confused the entire section (since I've much to learn). I'm using .dae files (extracted from BrawlBox, save as .dae from the save as window). I would use the .obj files, but when I extract those from 3DS, they don't export with the textures.

My ultimate goal is, to learn how to hack Brawl, specifically models and vertices, and eventually be able to import them over another character without major distortions, using said character's FitMotionEtc.pac. I'll learn about PSAs later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bug anyone by asking seemingly trivial questions.
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:49:57 AM by the_randomizer » Logged

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 01:23:18 AM »

If you're not using the obj file, what are you using? I think you need to have the obj file, which would explain the error you're getting. When you say it doesn't come with textures when you extract it, do you mean it doesn't have colors on 3DS Max or it doesn't have colors when you export it from 3DS Max to Brawlbox? If it's either one of those, that's perfectly normal. BJ will update this guide later with instructions on getting the textures.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:04 AM »

No colors when importing a random to BrawlBox, but there are colors in when you import some random .obj in 3DS max. I don't know how to get .obj files from Brawl, as I've only seen options for .dae and .mdl0 exporting.

To better clarify what you said, I can't use .dae over .dae files if I choose to swap one Brawl model on top of another, therefore, I have to import an .obj over a Brawl .dae file, correct?
    Previously, I used a .dae on top of a .dae, then I'm exporting it to a new .dae and importing that into BrawlBox. THEN I get the error I mentioned. Oddly enough, I don't get them when importing an .obj.  I guess that would make sense, it would certainly explain why.

Recap:

.obj files have textures in 3DS max, but NOT in BrawlBox after exporting in 3DS (gourad shaded polygons only) so they must be extracted.
    .dae files cannot be import into BrawlBox without having an error message.

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

Since you're new, don't try to learn how to export until later. For now, I would recommend that you grab a model provided somewhere on this forum or some other website. Also, the colors aren't supposed to show up in Brawlbox after you export your file from 3DS Max. You put in the colors yourself by adding png files to the texture part of Brawlbox, or something like that.

Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 25
    Print
    Jump to: