Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 25
Author Topic: DAE Model Importing for Dummies  (Read 103231 times)
pie6nin
Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »

^^^ Had the same problem, and for me it was because my filesize was too large. What's the size of your pac/pcs files?

They're 2,346 and 1,665 KB, respectively. I'm trying to replace Link.

I'll downsize the textures and see what happens, because I just now looked at the resolutions and 2048x1024 is probably a bad idea.

Edit:

They're now 819/586. Crashes on stage select.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:53:37 PM by pie6nin » Logged

FallenKing
Extreme Kitten

• Awards Boygos Certified: Pokemon Master Fiery Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #91 on: April 15, 2012, 01:23:28 PM »

What exactly did you do to reduce the file size? I'll give you more detailed instructions later, but I got homework now. In a nutshell, you need to add the "proOptimizer" modifier above your "edit mesh" modifier and below the "skin" modifier (so you'll need to delete the skin mod and re-do your rig). You'll use this to reduce the amount of vertices on your model.

Also, you need to use a png editor to reduce the size down to 128x128 for the ones that have a square shape but are oversized like 512x512. When I had to do this to my Thor import, I never did anything to the resolution. Also, delete any png files that don't make a difference to your model.

pie6nin
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #92 on: April 15, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »

What exactly did you do to reduce the file size? I'll give you more detailed instructions later, but I got homework now. In a nutshell, you need to add the "proOptimizer" modifier above your "edit mesh" modifier and below the "skin" modifier (so you'll need to delete the skin mod and re-do your rig). You'll use this to reduce the amount of vertices on your model.

Also, you need to use a png editor to reduce the size down to 128x128 for the ones that have a square shape but are oversized like 512x512. When I had to do this to my Thor import, I never did anything to the resolution. Also, delete any png files that don't make a difference to your model.

I downsized a bunch of textures (all four of them! exciting stuff.) to get to the lower size. I'll see about lowering the vertex count with the proOptimizer modifier. I haven't done any important rig work, seeing that I'm more concerned with the model loading properly first, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Edit- ProOptimizer is bugging out on me, won't let me change a single field properly. Thinking of throwing the model over to Blender and decimating it, usually a bit easier than grappling with a software I'm not familiar with yet.
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:39:50 PM by pie6nin » Logged

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #93 on: April 15, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »

They're now 819/586. Crashes on stage select.

The dimensions need to be a power of two or the game will crash.
    Ex: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024.
    The image dimensions can't be over 1024 too or it will crash.

Ninka_kiwi
    Holy Kitten

Burn my Dread

• Awards 16-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #94 on: April 15, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »

I dunno if this has been figured out yet but what exactly is the most verts that a model can have before crashing in brawl?
    I'm just curious since I have some models around 7000 verts I wanna import but dunno if they will work with out optimizing them a little.

Boygos
    srs kitten

If you remember me, you've been at this too long

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #95 on: April 15, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »

I dunno if this has been figured out yet but what exactly is the most verts that a model can have before crashing in brawl?
    I'm just curious since I have some models around 7000 verts I wanna import but dunno if they will work with out optimizing them a little.
    My M.O.D.O.K. had around 8000 and he worked fine ingame after resizing textures

pie6nin
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #96 on: April 15, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »

The dimensions need to be a power of two or the game will crash.
    Ex: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024.
    The image dimensions can't be over 1024 too or it will crash.

No, the pac/pcs file sizes. not the texture resolutions.
    I have a feeling lowering the vertex count will fix this promptly.
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:17:34 PM by pie6nin » Logged

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #97 on: April 15, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »

No, the pac/pcs file sizes. not the texture resolutions.

lol ok but still check the textures, it's a common mistake Tongue
    Those file size sound like they would work... you didn't change the bone tree at all and all the vertices are rigged correctly?

There's techically not a real limit. The main factors that determine success or failure are really just the file size and the amount of facepoints that need to be called to render the model, which is a LOT considering Brawlbox only uses Triangles (3 points to each individual face) to draw the model atm.

Brandondorf9999
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Hyperactive Contributor Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #98 on: April 15, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

I've had issues trying to export the batreaux model so that i can use that over ganondorf. Could someone please help me get the batreaux model over ganondorf so that i can use him please?

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #99 on: April 15, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »

I've had issues trying to export the batreaux model so that i can use that over ganondorf. Could someone please help me get the batreaux model over ganondorf so that i can use him please?

You gotta be more specific. What kind of issues are you getting, and when are you getting it? If it's difficult to explain, use pics.

Edit- ProOptimizer is bugging out on me, won't let me change a single field properly. Thinking of throwing the model over to Blender and decimating it, usually a bit easier than grappling with a software I'm not familiar with yet.

I accidentally said to lower the textures to size 128x128 earlier. It's actually 256x256. My bad, lol. So yeah, if you have a square png file that's over size 256x256 (for example 512x512), reduce it to 256x256.

These are the settings DSX8 told me he uses for ProOptimizer. It worked perfectly for me:

Reduce it to whatever percentage you think is necessary. My Thor import had to be reduced to 50% to work (though I was told it still had too many vertices, lol). When you click the "calculate" button, that will reduce the vertices. It doesn't LOOK like it does anything, but it does. Because ProOptimzer is above the edit mesh modifier, you'll still have all the vertices if you go back to vertexing, but you'll notice less vertices when you go to the skin modifier (which should be above the ProOptimzer mod).

Post Merge: April 15, 2012, 03:44:56 PM
    im so noobish Mario Facepalm

i dont know how do i select that

I believe it was in the original instructions. Simply click on that drop-down arrow on that modifier list you see in your pic, and select "skin".... or was it "edit skin"? Well, it's something like that. Check the instructions. lol

Edit 4/14/12: This is what's been happening

Video: 3DS Max Capture Test

Whoa dude, that's a 9 minute video. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think most people here have that much time to help you out. In the future, please try to make help request videos as short as possible. I'll skim through it and try to find the problem, but first you need to narrate specifically what's going on in the video and tell us what you need help with. Tell us what we're supposed to be looking for.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:44:56 PM by FaIIenKing » Logged

pie6nin
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #100 on: April 15, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

crapload of text goes here

My issue isn't finding the right settings, it's that none of the options work. When I click calculate, it just prints "optimization invalid"

I'll just do it in Blender, I know exactly what to do there.

Fixed it. Just have to do 'em one at a time.

For some reason, the ProOptimizer modifier is not surviving export. What did I do wrong this time...

Fixed that too. Forgot to set editable mesh... I'll just keep quiet for now.

Well, it now plays in the game, but, I couldn't stop laughing after seeing what happened to it:

I'll check my rig, but could anything else cause this?
    It's the rig. Definitely the rig.
    Apparently his back was bound to link's cap :/
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:23:01 PM by pie6nin » Logged

SSJ Is Clueless!
    Heroic Kitten

Hey look it's a-a.... i...i...don't.....know....

• Awards Texture Artist Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #101 on: April 15, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »

I believe it was in the original instructions. Simply click on that drop-down arrow on that modifier list you see in your pic, and select "skin".... or was it "edit skin"? Well, it's something like that. Check the instructions. lol

oh ok thnx

Boygos
    srs kitten

If you remember me, you've been at this too long

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #102 on: April 15, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »

My issue isn't finding the right settings, it's that none of the options work. When I click calculate, it just prints "optimization invalid"

I'll just do it in Blender, I know exactly what to do there.

Fixed it. Just have to do 'em one at a time.

For some reason, the ProOptimizer modifier is not surviving export. What did I do wrong this time...

Fixed that too. Forgot to set editable mesh... I'll just keep quiet for now.

Well, it now plays in the game, but, I couldn't stop laughing after seeing what happened to it:

I'll check my rig, but could anything else cause this?
    It's the rig. Definitely the rig.
    Apparently his back was bound to link's cap :/

Also, before you rig it, you may want to use the welder tool. It looks a little boxy. The weld tool can fix that;)

pie6nin
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #103 on: April 15, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »

Also, before you rig it, you may want to use the welder tool. It looks a little boxy. The weld tool can fix that;)

That was the shading. I've fixed it.

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #104 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »

I'm having problems with making metal textures. When I set the autometalmaterials to "true", it says "property value not valid". When I click the "details" tab, it says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Pages:  1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 25
    Print
    Jump to: