Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mewtwo2000's tutorials: More then perfect metals in your characters  (Read 3208 times)
Mewtwo2000
The Stage Master
Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:36 AM »

This is not really a tutorial, but some info that can be useful. When you make your character import, one thing you should include is the metal materials so that the character looks metallic when it gets the metal box item.

I suppose you all know it, but in later Brawlbox versions, you can enable those metals automatically by just enabling this option:

Anyway, always check if, after doing this, the ammount of materials with the _ExtMtl name is the same as non-metal materials. Sometimes, brawlbox ignores some materials, and the _ExtMtl version isn't built. If this happens, change the name for that material (in my case, changing to a longer name always works), and use the AutoMetalMaterials option again. Hit yes if it asks you something.

Once you're sure you have the number of materials you should have, you can test your character to assure the metals are okay ingame. Anyway, in some cases, some characters with alphas in their textures may look wrong. Check these Donkey Kong and Pit.

To avoid this to happen to your models, just use these:

Shader

Material(Alpha)

Material(Blend)

The first one is the shader your metal material should use instead. The other 2, are the materials to replace your wrong metal material with. Once imported, the name of the first texture inside has to be the same as the texture with alpha (transparency) as the original material (not metallic). The second texture has to be named metal00.

The difference between the first and second materials is just the kind of transparency of the original material. Just look if the EnableBlend value in Brawlbox for the original material is true or false. If it's true, use the second one. If it's false, there should be some 128, 255, greaterorequal, lessorequal (or something similar) just above the EnableBlend (false). In that case, use the first material (the one named Material (alpha))

And that's it. Be careful with the cull values for the original material, and just use the same, so the metalized sides are the same as the normally shown ones. And, if you feel like it, try your character in Delphino. My experience says that something's weird with that stage, and the first version of the shader didn't work well for that stage. Just test if everything's ok, and if it isn't report me so I can check the issues.

Oh, almost forgot. Sometimes, characters have some parts that we would prefer not to be metalized, like extra EyeYellows and stuff. Just give a cull_all to them. Or, instead, use the original material, texture and shader for that one, so it doesn't change to metallic at all. Like this triforce:

Now that's it. Thanks for reading  Kirby Dance

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

KnightMario
    Holy Kitten

Nobody Important

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Good Citizen Pin Collector Warm Welcomer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »

thanks, I'll use this for my sonic import metal.

I know for a fact that the vast majority of the public here cares more about free products than actual quality.
    I mean, we're kinda modding an old Wii game after like 6 years, instead of buying new stuff. That's pretty telling. Tongue

StupidMarioFan1
    Angel Kitten

Not as active as I used to be.

• Awards Star Hacker RAGE!! Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »

Hey so say I want a texture to be transparent when I get the metal Block, would I just make another texture that is completely invisible and just have the ExtMtl have that texture, or is it not that simple? I'm trying to get my SM64 Mario and SM64 Luigi imports to have transparent eyes, buttons, ect and for those to just disappear when metal, just like in Super Mario 64.

KnightMario
    Holy Kitten

Nobody Important

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Good Citizen Pin Collector Warm Welcomer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »

yep, I'm pretty sure.

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:05:32 AM »

Hey so say I want a texture to be transparent when I get the metal Block, would I just make another texture that is completely invisible and just have the ExtMtl have that texture, or is it not that simple? I'm trying to get my SM64 Mario and SM64 Luigi imports to have transparent eyes, buttons, ect and for those to just disappear when metal, just like in Super Mario 64.

More simple than this. Just make a cull-all for the _extmtl versions of the textures you don't want to be shown, and that's all.

StupidMarioFan1
    Angel Kitten

Not as active as I used to be.

• Awards Star Hacker RAGE!! Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »

Ya I tried it, but then I still had the metal effect on a white texture part when Mario was metal. Tongue

I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: