Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: what does it take for someones textures to get noticed?  (Read 9463 times)
dally
Mega Kitten

Shadow Being

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: June 28, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »

ok, I've been posting textures for a while, and well nobody comments on them, and i was just wondering, "what does it take to get your textures notived by people?"

Scootaloo
    Supreme Kitten

Just your local pony that everyone hates

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »

Well let me tell u my story. I started off like u. I was posting textures but my topic always got left behind in the other topics on the Stack Smash forums. Then I opened up a website from Brawlhost and thats when I started to get a little more attention. Then I joined a team and thats when I got noticed for my talent. If u join a team thats well known or create a website and have other sites link to u, the plp who see ur textures will know on another forum by ur username and say "Hey thats the person who made so and so texture" and BAM ur noticeed. It takes time to get urslef noticed. I think it took me a month.

Scootaloo . says
    i hate the game industry in general
    King Jigglypuff says
    D:
    Epic Pervy says
    agreed
    Scootaloo . says
    i love the games
    King Jigglypuff says
    Oh.
    Scootaloo . says
    but the community is the most [censored]iest, whiniest, and antagonizing group you will ever see on the face of this [censored]in earth and millions of light years beyond it

I DO NOT take requests, I make what I want to make

Neon
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:47:05 AM »

If you have a capture card, I highly reccomend making a video everytime you make a texture-it doesnt take that long to make a video.
    Anyways, post textures on KC, meowmix, and stack smash's forums (is ss's still alive), and submit to the archieve. Join a good team eventually, while popularity may matter to you, skill will probably be considered the most when applying to join a team.

Someone model hack in Maka from Soul Eater (with Soul as the scythe) into Brawl when model hacks come out and you will become king of the world.

Bonzai
    Advanced Kitten

In Soviet Russia, Smashball breaks YOU!

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:31:45 AM »

As fireking said, joining a team is the best way to get noticed. Meowmix is always open to new members.

What I've also found is that the better your texture is, the more comments you get. More people see your work than you think.

asdfman
    Expert Kitten

Brock Obama '12!

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »

I've studied (lolwut) that the better you make your texture/make it based around something popular (like an anime character as Pit, Ike, Marth, etc) will get you mad views.

I'd also recommend making texture hacks requested in the request thread, so you can host those on your texture hack page/inform people about your page.

Shadow for mod!
    6/17/09 SHADOW BECOME A GLOBAL MOD! [censored] YEAH SEAKING!

Wanna see my textures? Click here! ---> http://kittycorp.freecp.net/index.php?topic=551.0

catgowoof
    Extreme Kitten

Meow.

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »

Generally it's better texture = more comments, from what I've seen.

VILE
    Badass.
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container KCMM Old Timer Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:24 AM »

I never look at KC's texture section. About 60% -70% of everything there is bad recolors, 10 - 20% is unshaded solid color crap and the rest is a shaded texture that varies in quality from ok - awesome (awesome being an average of 1 - 3%).

Zephiel:
    You know what I really like on my stack smash?
    Texture updates.

Androu1:
    @Zephiel: “your” Stack Smash?

Random
    Wait, I give myself a title now?!
    Special Access

BIG money! BIG prizes! I LOVE IT!

• Awards Heart Container Founder

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »

You want to be noticed?
    Well one way is to be a staff member.
    But you're not gonna be one anytime soon...Or maybe ever.

Anyway,
    I don't make texture hacks so I really wouldn't know.

LOADS of money!...Barbecue tonight?

Scootaloo
    Supreme Kitten

Just your local pony that everyone hates

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 12:42:44 PM »

Like asdf man said making textures off of something popular can get u a hell of a lot of views. Just look at Roy. People made him out of Ike or Marth and plp just went crazy. But the opposite can also be true. Making something Original can get u a hell of a lot of veiws also. Take dally's Regret Meta Knight for example or even my Cursed Textures. They were something new and brought a lot to the table in originality and look at them now, they're a hit.

Scootaloo . says
    i hate the game industry in general
    King Jigglypuff says
    D:
    Epic Pervy says
    agreed
    Scootaloo . says
    i love the games
    King Jigglypuff says
    Oh.
    Scootaloo . says
    but the community is the most [censored]iest, whiniest, and antagonizing group you will ever see on the face of this [censored]in earth and millions of light years beyond it

I DO NOT take requests, I make what I want to make

VILE
    Badass.
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:29:58 PM »

An instant win for me is something with good shading and mostly made from scratch. IF it has that, i am bound to like it and give it respect.

Zephiel:
    Texture updates.

Androu1:

Jack H.
    Titles cost $5,000
    Supreme Kitten

Co-Founder of KC-MM

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Starstormer Pin Collector

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »

I can empathize with your possible frustration. MeowMix didn't expand and evolve overnight (or wait...) - but here are a few tips for making sure you're noticed:

1) Forum Posting: Doesn't work as well as it used to. If you create your own thread, and continue to update it (the first couple being incredible) then you'll become a reputable source for textures.

But who in the world is awesome during their FIRST couple of textures? It's usually later that they understand how to truly make textures shine. So...

2) Join a Team: It's been mentioned multiple times, but this is truly a quick & dirty way to get yourself recognized. The "Big-Ones" (as stickied here) are as follows:

Stack Smash probably wont accept you, as they rarely accept anyone. No offense, but many members there think the universe revolves around them.

Kitty-Corp has seen better days, and whether they believe it or not, could use some more staff members. They've recently tripped over the "invisible standard" of one update per day. You may consider applying here, as their staff members are humble and nice.

MeowMix has a good reputation of treating their staffers right, and is an easy-in if you've got over-average talent. They stick out pretty badly from the "standard" look you'll see all over the community, but MeowMix is MeowMix. You may consider applying there.

Elite Smash Hackers is really a coin-toss. BigSharkZ runs the place, and is exceptionally pleasant to work with. Be sure to impress him with a few textures as you apply.

3) Submit your textures to the BrawlHacks Wiki. This will make sure people see your textures. This is considered the 'new standard'  and many reputable hacking sites are submitting their textures as one super-database of textures from everywhere. People that are not on a team can add their textures just as easily as those that are. No waiting for admins to get your texture submitted required. Sign up, and you're home free.

So, as you can see, multiple ways to "springboard" your textures into orbit are available. Whether you end up following these tips or not is another matter.

Good Luck!
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:44:15 PM by Jack H. » Logged

-Jack H.

VILE
    Badass.
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

What do you mean "most" member on SS think the world revolves around them? They ALL think that (especially me Wink)

Sad thing is, i didn't get accepted into SS for making textures, i got in for making some 3d models :S. HURRY UP PHARROX WITH THAT CONVERTER!!!
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:35:36 PM by VILE » Logged

Zephiel:
    Texture updates.

Androu1:

Jack H.
    Titles cost $5,000
    Supreme Kitten

Co-Founder of KC-MM

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Starstormer Pin Collector

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:01:14 PM »

Indeed. That converter will be quite handy... The amount of "screwing with Brawl" will become huge.

-Jack H.

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »

So am I in the SS or KC category?

Bonzai
    Advanced Kitten

In Soviet Russia, Smashball breaks YOU!

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »

I'd consider you KC Vyse, as you are helpful.

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: