Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Rigging and Model Importing Tips: Updated June 7th  (Read 26467 times)
nanobuds
Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:08 PM »

I will update it probably this summer when school is out. during the week, I only have about 30 minutes per day to work on hacking stuff, and its easier to complete a section all at once than during it day-by-day

Boygos
    srs kitten

If you remember me, you've been at this too long

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »

I will update it probably this summer when school is out. during the week, I only have about 30 minutes per day to work on hacking stuff, and its easier to complete a section all at once than during it day-by-day
    This su,,er you should do a rigging School. I'm in for that.

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »

Updated

Ninka_kiwi
    Holy Kitten

Burn my Dread

• Awards 16-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »

Wow I never thought to totally rig the model to bust N then rig the individual parts...

Nice update! This will surely make cloud awesome once I'm done with his model!

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, but how to get the various wireframe colors in 3DS studio max 2010?  It would make lining up the bones a lot easier than the default white color.

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »

Its always white when the polygon is selected... nothing much i can do about that

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »

For some reason, after I align the bones using the Edit Mesh command (and keep in mind that I make sure that bones are selected for the Skin mod), I can't move the bones with the model, it doesn't move at all! WTF?

I can add the skin mod and bones and move them just fine, but it's only AFTER I start messing with the mesh the bones no longer move the polygon.
    « Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:34:55 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

Make sure Edit Mesh is below Skin on the modifier list... also make sure that the Edit Mesh isnt open and in-use

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »

Make sure Edit Mesh is below Skin on the modifier list... also make sure that the Edit Mesh isnt open and in-use

So I pretty much line the bones up with the model, add the Skin modifier, THEN add the Edit Mesh modifier?  And by the "Edit Mesh not being open", I simply click on an empty space to exit the mesh mode and then rotate a bone?

Edit 11:45 PM  New problem!  Okay, so I notice that I can only move the bones with the polygon when I turn off the Edit Mesh mod (the light bulb icon), but this reverts all the vertex changes I made, making this a real PITA to deal with.  Why can't I see the changes I made to the vertices while I rotate the bones?

The tutorial pictures clearly show both mods on while the ShoulderJ bone is being rotated.  Im srs here
    « Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:49:05 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »

Nooooo.

1. Edit the mesh so it fits the bones
    2. THEN add the skin modifier

If the Edit Mesh modifier is in use, then the skin modifier wont work. By in-use, the verts for the Edit Mesh modifier appear.

You can always edit the mesh after you skin it, but the Skin modifier must always be on top of the modifier list. Look at the modifier box in the tutorial pics. the Skin is always on top.

and not both modifiers were on. They were expanded, but the Edit Mesh wasnt in use... its hard to explain over type. I would love to try to record one of my rigs, but I just dont have the time, nor the computer capability.
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:19:35 PM by Nanobuds » Logged

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »

So, in essence I can make the changes to the skin mod (rotating the bones) and then I can fix the vertices with the Edit Mesh?  If recording an issue, Camstudio would work just fine, it's not very demanding on the CPU.   I'm still trying to figure out how to deactivate the Edit Mesh mod, since clicking on the light bulb icon undoes all the work I did on the polygon itself, hence my earlier confusion.
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:24:10 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »

if you rotate a bone with the skin mod, you cant edit the mesh without the rotation returning to normal

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »

if you rotate a bone with the skin mod, you cant edit the mesh without the rotation returning to normal

Ah bollocks.  I'm so confused about the whole mesh mod thing.  What did you mean by "You can always edit the mesh after you skin it"?  You mean, after lining up the bones?  I did that and it still doesn't allow me to rotate them to where they need to go.

How are you supposed to keep the changes you make to the Mesh Mod and rotate the bones using the Skin Mod, while keeping the vital vertex changes intact when you export as a .dae file?  That's what isn't making any sense to me.
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:28:16 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

Okay. Look at the pics in the tutorial. See the modifier list?

The skin is always on top. Below it is always other modifiers.

ONLY add the skin once the model is ready to be rigged.

However, after rigging, you can still edit the mesh. DONT add a new Edit Mesh modifier. the Skin mod must be on top of the list.

If you edit the mesh after you apply the skin, then just select the Edit Mesh mod below the Skin mod, and make your edits. While you are making edits, the rotations you made will go away. The scene will always display whatever is on the top of the mod list. However, if you activate a mod below the one on top, then the one on top (this case the skin) then it wont show.

When you add the Bones to the Skin modifier, you cant rotate bone to have them fit to the model. You must delete the Skin mod in order to edit bones to fit to the model.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »

If I sounded demanding or impatient, I apologize for acting in such an asinine way.

To recapitulate, I open the model I want to make an import over, then I

- Delete the polygons of the original Brawl model
    - Merge it with the new polygon and line it up with the bones
    - Hi-light all the polygons on the new model and add the Edit Mesh mod
    - I make all necessary changes to the vertices that need fine tuning
    - Once I'm done making all necessary changes, I add the skin mod
    - After adding that, I add all the model bones so I can rig the model

And if I understand correctly, having both Skin and Edit Mesh mods on simultaneously creates a conflict.  Having just the Mesh mod on temporarily hides all the rotated bones in the Animation Slider, click it off and I see the changes I made in the Skin Mod.  Essentially, I simply add the Mesh Mod and then the Skin Mod so the Skin is on top of the Mesh. 

I can assume that I need to just have the Skin mod when I export as a .dae file.  Again, it sounds to me that the Edit Mesh just temporarily hides the animation rotations, but doesn't effect negatively when exported.

Man I hope I got something right in my recap...

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: