Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CR4CK3RW0LF's Guide to NOT sucking at Textures!  (Read 2073 times)
Wulfbang Meow
Fang of Scruffiness
Supreme Kitten

*Terminator Theme Music*

• Awards KCMM Awards 2011 Winner Heart Container KCMM Storyteller Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: April 26, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »

INTRODUCTION:

For those that don’t know me, I used to texture hack for amusement back when textures were the [censored] and vertexing had barely even started. Im also a graphics design student who has been through 5 years of Photoshop schooling. Ive also taken some college art courses which I will be using notes from to express many different fundamentals I will be discussing.

For now.. just call me Prof. W0LF.

PREFACE:

Welcome my prospective art students! Im assuming you are here to extend your knowledge of the art of texturing and are seeking my help because your soul yearns to put your brush to the canvas in a way that is to en-trance and electrify.

Now I ask, may I peruse your current achievements?

...... splendid... now here is your grade...

SECTION 1. COLORS

"Proffessor W0LF, isnt my tribute to rainbow dash just wonderful! i really love my version of hyper sonic, its better than all the rest!"

IF YOU MENTION PONIES OR SONIC IN THE SAME SENTENCE IN MY CLASSROOM AGAIN THIS ART CLASS WILL BECOME ONE LONG BACKHANDING SESSION.. not impressed

Alright class.. apparently skittle vomit is very popular amongst a select group of people.. A VERY SMALL SELECT GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT WILL SPEND THE REST OF ETERNITY WITH NYAN CAT AND WILL PROBABLY ENJOY THEMSELVES.

color in its scientific form is essentially light from the sun bouncing off of an object and into your retina's, there which your retina's send this information to your brain which translates into what we see. when light is absent, we see black. when you stare directly into a cars high beams, you pray a good Samaritan calls a street cleaner to mop up your carcass. you see white.

now color is separated into many different classifications, which can be made viewable in this color wheel.

PRIMARY COLORS are your reds, yellows and blues. SECONDARY COLORS are mixtures of your primary colors, and TERTIARY COLORS are the mixtures of primary and secondary colors. Hey, you graduated 5th grade art class, good job!

now we get to palette construction.. you know that funny ass looking wood thing that fancy artists hold in their hands while painting? theres a reason that thing exists.. it keeps all of the colors handy for painting as well as for blending colors together. in digital design, it refers to a restricted selection of color to save file space.

now the next set of terms is used for colors that go together nicely, that harmonize with one another in an attractive way.

ANALOGOUS COLORS are colors that exist next to eachother on the color wheel. this usually refers to the use of a primary/secondary color alongside a tertiary color. for example, sky blue and regular blue, or red with wine red, etc.

COMPLIMENTARY COLORS exist on the opposite sides on the color wheel.. reminds you of christmas, Renamon, and an awful lot of movie posters.

WARM COLORS do exactly that.. make your image look bright and cheerful or flaming hot.

COOL COLORS are the guys at the back of the bus that make you super jelly and stuff. harmonious with jazz and beach side property.

now that you know what colors look good together, you can open up MSPaint and begin going to town right? WRONG.

SECTION 2. VALUE:

VALUE is the the brightness and contrast within an image, which brings me to...

Proffessor W0LF, look! i made Mario in a Tuxedo! Cheesy

*slap*

i cant stress this enough.. PURE BLACK AND WHITE LOOKS REALLY BAD. if your hack consists of black and white, use nearly black and nearly white. take for example, a stylish james bond suit.

..dressed to impress right? its also not PURE BLACK. this suit in particular is more of a grey but i digress, the worlds light intensity isnt an on and off switch. colors as well as black and white have tones to them.

take this hack for example.

looks a lot better right? while of course this character had a suit to begin with and all the hacker had to do was desaturate the colors, the tones are correct and the world is a happier place because of it.

now that our palette choice is pleasant, we can move on to TEXTURES!

SECTION 3. TEXTURES:

TEXTURE is the tactile surface or quality of objects or artworks, the stuff that makes you feel rough, smooth, bumpy, or fluffy.

ACTUAL texture is something you can touch and feel with your eyes closed.. now get your hand out of your pants and pay attention to the next part.

VISUAL or SIMULATED texture is the ILLUSION of texture. THIS is what were trying to achieve.

just because your fancy pants model is shaped to LOOK like hes wearing blue jeans doesnt mean they look like blue jeans.. just look at 64 mario's overalls.. now look at brawl mario's overalls.. HOLY [censored] WHY BRAWL LOOK SO GOOD? BECAUSE THERES TEXTURE IN THOSE JEANS.

for tips on texturing successfully.. you'll have to wait for my next class.. which will be available for the low low price of $400. (no really, the current tutorial is too lengthy, ill cover it in another tutorial and link it back here when im finished.)

which brings me to my next section.

SECTION 4. SYMMETRY:

"Proffessor W0LF, i made yoshi look like hes in jail! Cheesy"

yoshi may be jailbait material but your texture sucks. *slap*

SYMMETRY is a phenomenon in nature where one half of something looks exactly the same as the other half, plants are usually good examples of this.

symmetry exists an awful lot in 2D sprites and in 3D modeling as it is an excellent way to conserve file size and a great time saver. why spend all your time texturing both halves when you can literally cut your work in half? while this is great for the creators of the models, this can translate into nightmares for texture hackers.

youd think that it would be an awesome idea to add ash ketchum's hat to pikachu's trucker hat would be profitable as well as hella easy right? you open up the texture file and what do you see? symmetrical textures.

this is a fatal flaw for a lot of real awesome hack ideas.. if only the game developers had foreseen this! the only way around this is to keep your hack ideas symmetrical. theres no other way around it (as of the date of this post..).

so if your design is asymmetrical.. then your gonna have to modify your idea or toss it entirely (it probably sucks anyway*COUGH*). but even if your design uses symmetry, you must keep in mind that just because we made a flat map of the world, doesnt mean the world is flat. same goes for textures. just because the texture of an object is flat, doesnt mean that the model doesnt have bends and folds that will ultimately change that straight line into a wonky curvy one.

and now finally, the last section.

SECTION 5. UNITY:

"Proffessor W0LF! i followed your tutorial and turned fox into a ninja!"

thats... actually pretty cool, the mask still looks painted on and the tail wrap doesnt look like its there, but the effort shows and all my principles are there, a real solid hack and a job well done! :3

UNITY is taking all the things ive shown here and make them work together in matrimony.

this one is more or less up to you. i cant hold your hand through everything and if i did.. your hand would get all sweaty and gross because god knows what you do with that hand when im not here. Im srs here

and this is about all i can bare to type right now, so tune in for my more advanced tutorials in the future.. and keep in mind.. DONT POST YOUR FAILED HACKS ON BRAWL VAULT. NO ONE WILL DOWNLOAD THEM.

if you do.. i will pursue you.. and i WILL find you... and i will send Liam Neeson to kick your ass.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:53:21 PM by Truxton » Logged

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

Nice tutorial, totally entertaining to read. XD

Sonic rides a Pony.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:08:40 PM by Albafika » Logged

SonicWolf
    Wolf Warrior
    Holy Kitten

Don't underestimate me.

• Awards Shadow the Pinhog Heart Container RAGE!! Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »

Proffesser W0lf! Look what I made! Mario in a tux!

*slap*

^best part lol

I learned a few things now. Still some questions like HOW DO YOU MAKE A TEXTURE ON YOUR TEXTURE LIKE MARIO'S BRAWL OVERALLS? I'm always having to use a bad pattern :/

!!!!! I WILL GET TO ANYTHING I HAVEN'T DONE AS SOON AS I CAN. NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS YET !!!!!
    !!!!! IF YOU REQUESTED A STRAP FROM ME PLEASE PM ME AGAIN & I WILL DO SO. I AM SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE !!!!!

currently playing: Pokemon Black2, Zelda (SS, MC, LttP and TP), Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Dueling Network & SSBB (once I fix my wii).

Friends:

Favorite Confirmed SSB4 Character so far:

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: