Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 ... 137
Author Topic: WIP PSA Workshop  (Read 697062 times)
Large Leader
I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.

• Awards Active Contributor Renowned Hacker Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1920 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »

I'm assuming it's supposed to be something similar to what Ganondorf did at the end of Ocarina of Time?
    The start looks almost like a start to a special (like a single handed charge up thingy).
    I personally feel more comfortable going for a grab from left to right (using my left hand for the grab).

If you could give more detail on how he's supposed to be holding them or something that'd be awesome. Because it could either be like a choke, or having the opponent be surrounded by dark energy .

The animation itself is very nice. Although what's with that little tick at frame ~40?

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

TheShyGuy
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic KCMM Veteran Heart Container Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1921 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »

The tick at 40 is just a slightly different pose. It won't "tick" after I change all the tangents, which I'm about to do.

Ganon isn't directly contacting the victim. If I could, I'd show you the ingame recording that the requester gave me, but it's not hosted anywhere.  It's more along the lines of the opponent being surrounding by dark energy about a half arms length away from his hand.

Since it's not a normal grab where you catch with the hand, the animation should make more sense. Also yeah, the requester said it's from OOT, though I've never played it =/

Large Leader

• Awards Active Contributor Renowned Hacker Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1922 on: March 30, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »

Is it this?

<a href="http://youtu.be/dwrENG9qjhA?t=1m50s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/dwrENG9qjhA?t=1m50s</a>

If the video doesn't load it to the correct time, it's at 1:55-59 and a bit onwards.

And even then, it still feels like a throwing action. Maybe an down-up movement or a left-right movement. But right left in that way feels like he's throwing something. IDK, but either way, I like how it looks so far, regardless of how I feel it looks like he's doing lol.

And a general question: when is it acceptable for feet sliding? Usually allow feet sliding when I'm acting out the animation and it just feels more natural to slide it across the ground as opposed to stepping.

I also feel like my animations lack feet movement. It seems like (and I believe that) there is very little foot movement. The knees/legs/rest of the body move much more than the rest of the body. I tried to rectify it by moving the foot so he's standing more on his toe or the side of his foot is on the ground, but is there anything else I can do?
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:31:43 PM by drogoth » Logged

In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    O snap

TheShyGuy
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1923 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »

~'ll pass the crit onto the requester

__

Feet sliding is acceptable when it looks good animation-wise. Looking good takes higher priority than anything else.

As for how to go about moving the feet....uh I don't really know =/.

But, I'll tell you how I go about things, maybe it'll help. I uh...hmm. I just make key poses without trying to align anything to the previous frame. For the Gannon animation, I made each of the 3-4 key/main poses starting from the T-pose (mostly because working for the previous pose was too distracting/tedious). After that, I move the entire model with HipN to align the foot with the most weight on it(Though, I should probably use TransN....).

That'll give you blocked poses where, if the feet should move, it already is. Now, you just gotta animate the inbetweens so the step or slide looks natural.

Uh...I hope that helps.

___

Edit:

Now, I'm going to move onto messing with tangents, unless there are any glaring issues?

Also, drogoth, you ever hear of how you should "have nice smooth arcs" in animation? The phrase is more of a simplification of the idea that real life objects move smoothly unless abruptly acted on (getting hit, pushed, etc). So, if anything ever "jerks" in your animations, you should make sure it theres a good reason for it. Otherwise, it's very distracting.
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:30:17 PM by TheShyGuy » Logged

Large Leader

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1924 on: March 30, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »

~'ll pass the crit onto the requester

I have a feeling I know who it is lol

Feet sliding is acceptable when it looks good animation-wise. Looking good takes higher priority than anything else.

Noted

As for how to go about moving the feet....uh I don't really know =/.

But, I'll tell you how I go about things, maybe it'll help. I uh...hmm. I just make key poses without trying to align anything to the previous frame. For the Gannon animation, I made each of the 3-4 key/main poses starting from the T-pose (mostly because working for the previous pose was too distracting/tedious). After that, I move the entire model with HipN to align the foot with the most weight on it(Though, I should probably use TransN....).

That'll give you blocked poses where, if the feet should move, it already is. Now, you just gotta animate the inbetweens so the step or slide looks natural.

Uh...I hope that helps.

Of course, any information helps. Maybe I'll try doing this next time. Specifically for the Jump Strike and Mortal Draw

Now, I'm going to move onto messing with tangents, unless there are any glaring issues?

Seems alright to me.
    Although something seems off about his left leg during the step forward. I think it bends a bit too much forward.
    I'm also assuming that left foot sliding back is intentional. Which looks perfectly fine to me.
    And the left arm movement is fantastic. Love how it just flows to the grab. Wanted to do that with the sword salute, but I couldn't quite get it.

Also, drogoth, you ever hear of how you should "have nice smooth arcs" in animation? The phrase is more of a simplification of the idea that real life objects move smoothly unless abruptly acted on (getting hit, pushed, etc). So, if anything ever "jerks" in your animations, you should make sure it theres a good reason for it. Otherwise, it's very distracting.

I feel like I have the opposite problem. In the up smash animation, I wanted to add a jerk for recoil after shooting the arrow. But... you can't even tell it's there. Some pointers on how to actually add jerkiness would be nice.

Couple of more maya questions:

1. What did you use to make the gif? Playblast it and then stick it in GIMP?

2. During your blocking phase, how do you make the animations just go from one pose to the next? I'd guess you have two key frames X distance apart and 1 frame after the second keyframe for the pose you'd have the other one and then continue as such.

3. You said this:

I move the entire model with HipN to align the foot with the most weight on it(Though, I should probably use TransN....).

Why TransN and not HipN?

EDIT: Also, you got a skype or something? It'd be easier to ask questions on that instead of waiting for replies on here or through PM. Just send a PM with your info if you want.
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:53:49 PM by drogoth » Logged

O snap

TheShyGuy
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1925 on: March 30, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »

Yeah, the skype name is TheShyGuy along with the same avatar.

__

About the left leg: Forward in what direction (image left or image right?, toward viewer or back into the distance?) and around what frame?

1) Yeah, I playblast using PNG, File->Save Animation to a folder, open all images as layers in Gimp, then export as a gif, then set the correct delay time and disposal type.

___

2)I don't understand what you were trying to say with the example =/.

First, I haven't animated in a while so er that's my disclaimer.

Second, from what I've come across from animation "research", it's preferred to first block animations out. That means you "turn off" interpolation (use stepped tangents) and create all the important key poses. You'd then make all the necessary intermediate poses. After all that, then you can turn on ipo and work on the final touches.

Why not just work with linear or splines right off the bat? Because the computer isn't going interpolate between keys exactly how you'd like it to. Usually, you're going to be fighting with it to get the correct keys.

Instead, it's usually better to block out *enough keys so that once you turn on linear/spline tangents, the program can't possibly screw things up...- and thus you'll have less to clean up.

*This doesn't mean you have to key every single frame. If there is a significant change between frames, it might be better to make your own intermediate frame instead of letting the program screw it over- and you'd have to clean it up. If two poses are pretty close, then there's no point.

If you use HumanIK, at this point, I stop setting full body keys and set it to specific body parts.

... I guess that explains my current workflow, actually. Block out key poses. Block out enough intermediate poses. Turn interpolation on. Clean up.

Making each necessary pose isn't as daunting as it sounds though, especially compared to traditional 2D animation, where that's a must. Plus, you'd have to make those poses anyways.

___

3) From what I remember, I thought TransN moves(translates) characters in game without the character teleporting back or does the HipN bone also allow translation?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:37:35 PM by TheShyGuy » Logged

Large Leader

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1926 on: March 30, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »

Yeah, the skype name is TheShyGuy along with the same avatar.

Gotcha

About the left leg: Forward in what direction (image left or image right?, toward viewer or back into the distance?) and around what frame?

About frame 13 when the left leg moves towards the viewer. And left would be Ganondorf's left.

1) Yeah, I playblast it using with the PNG image type, Save Animation to a folder, open all images as layers in Gimp, then export as a gif and finally setting the correct delay time and disposal type.

I'll keep it in mind. I'll ask more on skype or something lol

2)I don't understand what you were trying to say with the example =/. Before I go into how I went about this animation, I'd like to mention a few things..

First, I haven't animated in a while so er that's my disclaimer.

Second, from what I've come across from animation "research", it's preferred to first block animations out. That means you "turn off" interpolation (stepped tangents) and create all the important key poses. You'd then make all the necessary intermediate poses. After all that, then you can turn on ipo and work on the final touches.

Why not just work with linear or splines right off the bat? Because the computer isn't going interpolate between keys exactly how you'd like it to. Usually, you're going to be fighting with it to get the correct keys.

Instead, it's usually better to block out *enough keys so that once you turn on linear/spline tangents, the program can't possibly screw things up...- and thus you'll have less to clean up.

*This doesn't mean you have to key every single frame. If there is a significant change between frames, it might be better to make your own intermediate frame instead of letter the program screw it over- and you'd have to clean it up. If two poses are pretty close, then there's no point.

If you use HumanIK, at this point, I stop setting full body keys and set it to specific body parts.

... I guess that explains my current workflow, actually. Block out key poses. Block out enough intermediate poses. Turn interpolation on. Clean up.

Thanks for all the info

3) From what I remember, I thought TransN moves(translates) characters in game without the character teleporting back or does the HipN bone also do allow translation?

If the character is returning to wait1, then there isn't much of a problem. But in your case, yeah TransN movement would be needed. What you could do is manually remove the hipN horizontal movement keyframes and use TransN.

Although that can get tedious at times.

O snap

TheShyGuy
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1927 on: March 31, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »

Finished it:

Drogoth, I considered what you said about the left leg bending front too much, but it doesn't snap or break his leg or anything. It's a natural bend (if you saw it from the side). So I figured that was the assumed main issue and left it alone.

Large Leader

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1928 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »

Finished it:

Drogoth, I considered what you said about the left leg bending front too much, but it doesn't snap or break his leg or anything. It's a natural bend (if you saw it from the side). So I figured that was the assumed main issue and left it alone.

Oooh, looks nice!
    How'd you add all that splendid shaking?
    And you're the best judge.

O snap

TheShyGuy
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1929 on: March 31, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »

Thanks. I wrote a Maya script that offset the HipN HumanIK controller while keeping the feet pinned. The shake was basically a sin wave oscillating on the values -1,0,1 with the magnitude varying overtime (though unnoticeable here since it's so low).
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:39:23 PM by TheShyGuy » Logged

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• Awards Renowned Hacker Good Citizen Pin Collector Helping Hand

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1930 on: April 01, 2015, 12:45:27 AM »

Finished it:

such a great animation you did there o:
    awesome :3

Stupid Tinypic :C

Carnage
    God Kitten

(retired)

• Awards Constructive Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1931 on: April 04, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »

Just wondering did anyone here ever did a Final Smash for over snake? for some reason any custom code i put on snake FS action it only reads the code when snake touches the ground so i cant even activate anything in the air, i need to forhim to fall to touch the ground to start reading the code on the FS action, just wondring if anyone ever did a custom snake FS and come across this issue.

TheShyGuy
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1932 on: April 09, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »

Current Progress on Dins Fire:

Left:

Back, front, Right
    http://i.imgur.com/NyfEOsh.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/FO1qhFW.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/GukyJL2.gif

I may split the animation later into a start, charge/wait, and release/attack. When I finish it, I'll probably upload the animation in case someone wants to use them for anything.

Large Leader

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1933 on: April 09, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »

Wish you had finished this about a year ago lol.

Looks very nice!

How do you always get the arm swaying to look so nice?

O snap

Mortimer
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Dedicated Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1934 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »

Current Progress on Dins Fire:

Left:

I think you are one of the two best animators I have seen on those forums so far. It's a shame you're not making psas, they would end up nicely. Really good job.

Pages:  1 ... 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 ... 137
    Print
    Jump to: