Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does your model has ingame lag? Here are some tips on using Pro Optimizer!  (Read 1289 times)
Sanada
Extreme Kitten

• Awards Staff Helper Sniper Tutorial Writer Epic Restorer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: June 03, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »

Until the tristripper is compete , using ProOptimizer in the meantime can help import these higher poly models at reduced vertices and facepoints.

Let's get started! This is what you need first.
    -Have 3DS Max 2010 (2011 and 2012 may work too, for the sake of this tutorial - I will be using 2010)
    -Your model .dae , obj. etc.

Step 1. Okay, first start up 3DS Max (if you already have your model imported in a .max scene, skip to step 3) and click on the box on the top left then click on Import.

Step 2. Select your model from the drop in menu then click on import. Depending on the model type ( .dae . obj. etc.) There may be an additional menu with more options, for the sake of this tutorial click on import for now. (If your having problem with this step it could be the model is corrupt or imported weird - post in model help about it) Your screen should look like this,
    If your model came with bones of it's own, delete them, since when you rig the model it will use the Brawl bones instead.

Step 3. Let's focus on the model, click on the bottom right button (Maximize viewpoint toggle) to get a better view of the model. Press F to view the front of the model.

Step 4. Press H, then select all polygons of the model. Then go to the right where it say's Modifier List and select Pro Optimizer from the drop down menu.
    Make sure Pro Optimizer is used first before you start your rig. You cannot Pro Optimize a model that has already been rigged, you will lose it's settings and won't save the Pro Optimizer.

Step 5. Before you click on Calculate, scroll down and make sure your settings preserve as much as it can for the model. These are the setting I use for all my imports using Pro Op (I'll refer it as that from this point on in the tutorial).

Step 6. Click on Calculate, it should take a few seconds to a minute for it to determine the many vertices and facepoints your model may have. Once it's done, the Status will appear with the results. The before status indicate the many vertices and facepoints before the conversion, the after is the total after applying the changes (from the Pro Op settings shown above). You can use your own setting but I recommended the one I have to ensure the most vertices and facepoints possible for the model without it losing it's quality.

Here is mine from my Zasalamel model
    The vertex point are pretty good at near 6000, but the faces at near 11,000 is not good.

More info about the values of vertices and/or facepoints found in the spoiler here.
    I did some comparing from an older post and found some strange results.

The Brawl Marth model has    The Brawl Ike model has

Apparently, the Brawl models has at least 11000 face points, yet they don't lag ingame matches.
    Yet, if I leave Zasalamel as is with 11857 facepoints, he'll lag in 3-4 players matches. So, here is what I came up with after some studying and testing things.

No matter what the brawl model's vertices or/and facepoints are, you want to go lower than that for your higher poly models. I have a set myself a limit which I recommend you may follow as well. I make sure my models do not over 9000 vertices and/or facepoints (no pun intended - I am being serious here kittens) to avoid any lag ingame. (If you want, you can set it to even under 7000 - to reduce any possible lag, but at the same time make sure the model looks good since this is a more restrict poly count.)

An example, my first import Yukimura is an high poly MMD model which had about 13,00 facepoints lagged ingame. After using Pro Op reducing the facepoints to about under 9000, it doesn't lag anymore in 4 player matches.
    Yukimura high poly MMD         Yukimura reduced to 70%

Step 7. To reduce the vertices and facepoints, go down and click on the arrows or input a percentage and press calculate again.
    I'd reduce it overall to about 70% or close but not over 9000 (or 7000) for ether vertices or facepoints.

That's it have fun model importing higher poly models!

Other examples
    Raphael a SC2 model           Azai a high poly MMD         Azai reduced to 75%

Another note- in some cases if you still experience lag even after Pro Oping it to about under 9000 or 7000, it may be two things.
    *Another higher poly model is conflicting the match (even only one model) and it may need to Pro Op that model.
    *A stage that's being played on is gfx heavy which lags even with some Brawl models, custom PSAs, etc.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: