Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: New guide to custom shadows in stages  (Read 14312 times)
Mewtwo2000
The Stage Master
Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »

If you're a stager, you may want to keep reading. If you are not going to make a stage in your life, then leave xD

Well, if you're experienced with stages, you probably know how to make them so characters cast shadows on the floor. One of the possibilities is using what I called the MShadow model, just a modified (vertexed) Wifi Room model shaped as a rectangular piece of ground that made shadows visible. Well, in this tutorial, we're gonna use it, but only as a helper.

Sometimes, you may need a real custom shape. I've used vertexing on my MShadow models to make the shapes I needed, just like what I've been doing to the 2D pieces I vertexed to build some of my stages. But that's a little troublesome, specially if you're not familiar with vertexing, or if you want not to use lots of models just to make the shadows.

The ideal case would be building the shape with 3DS Max, and apply the material and shader needed to build a custom MShadow model once the mdl0 is made. But brawlbox can't do that currently. Shadow materials aren't messed up anymore, but you can't import them the way you can import any other material. There's some small difference and brawlbox crashes. Until that's fixed, I've made my own custom material by hexing. It's not that hard, but that's not what I'm gonna write here.

What we're gonna do is simpler. Go to this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6n7x3u9xrb2pf

Use the material and shader on a custom shape made in 3dsmax. Be sure to rename the material as MShadow1 and the texture as TShadow1.

IMPORTANT. The shape(s) you make need to be singlebind. That means one bone per object (or one bone per skin, if you prefer). The model can have as many bones and objects as you want, and the different objects can use different bones as long as they only use one each. For this, all the different objects will need to use the same material. If you can't see the singlebind bone in brawlbox in all the objects that use the MShadow1 material when in mdl0 format, then you've done it wrong. You can include the shadow shapes in your stage model, they don't need to be in a separate model. And the objects not using the MShadow1 material can be multi-boned, there's no reason to worry about them.

Well, this doesn't work yet, the material I've given you isn't perfect. If it was, it would crash brawlbox as I told you before. This one doesn't. Anyway, this one is enough, cause, if you have my old MShadow model (included in the previous link) in the same modeldata, what's needed in the material to work fine is gotten from here. So, you need the custom model you make, with the custom material and shader I've given you, plus the invisible (0 size) version of the old MShadow model I've always used. Those together will let you have the exact shapes for your shadowed floors in one model.

Oh, one more thing. If you want your shadows in a different color or opacity, check these values here:

Maybe the explanation isn't clear enough, for any doubt if you try it and don't suceed, just ask. If nobody got it to work, maybe I'm wrong with something. So, I'll be thankful to those who try it and succeed if they claim here to be successful.
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:54:16 PM by Mewtwo2000 » Logged

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

Dr.
    Hyper Kitten

Hi stranger, you look good ;D

• Awards Featured Fiery Topic Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »

O_O *gets hyped* *waits eagerly*
    (if you need second post, I can delete this)

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »

xD

No, I don't need it, I'll fill the first one with the rest of the stuff Tongue

Stage shadows tutorial

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

I know it isn't finished yet, but will you include a way to add shadows to background models? If that's even possible?

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »

Background models? You mean the stage models themselves? Well, I suppose it's obvious, but... if your stage model has been in 3dsmax, you can duplicate the ground polygons to make the shadows object, and use that object as the object for the shadows inside the stage model. You need polygons in which you use the material, if you don't have them, you can't add the shadows to that model. So, unless you port the stage back to 3dsmax to clone some parts, you can't add them to the mdl0 file. Anyway, you can always use a new model only for shadows, so you use 1 model for visuals, and a different one for shadows.

If you import or make your own stage, then it's easy to have an all in 1 model with both visuals and shadows.

Stage shadows tutorial

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »

Obvious to you maybe. :|

I meant, like, animated models in the background. Like Dialga/Palkia. Or even platforms. I know how to add shadows for playable characters and all that junk, but I just didn't know if adding a shadow model and positioning it under models in the back would work.

What you said makes perfect sense, though, so I'll try that.

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »

Oh, you mean non-player models casting shadows? No, that's not possible, sorry. Characters do cast shadows because they have some low-res version of themselves that are used for shadow casting afterwards. To make dialga to cast a moving shadow, for example, you would need to get a black and transparent version of dialga to be moved on the ground with a null vertical size.

Lensho has done that same thing in one of his pokemon stages.

Stage shadows tutorial

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »

Bah. Thought so.

Well, that sounds like a pain, but I can go ahead and give that a shot. Thanks for the help.

ItalianStallion
    Weapon X
    Overlord Kitten

Might controls everything

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Star Hacker

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »

Just looked through very quickly before I have to go into work.

Will most definitely look at it later.

Your guides have always helped me out, and taught me many things.

Don't ever stop making them!

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »

well now i kno how to get the shadows darker for my stages.. i've been making my own custom stage shadows for like over a month now, works like a charm but never figured out how to make them dark instead of blue xD

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

Forte
    Mega Kitten

Artistic Overture...

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »

Great guide you have here; it was fairly easy enough to follow and the results look great! (shown in spoilers)

For awhile now I've been working on a custom stage and when it came to adding the shadows I could only manage the flat parts. With the help of this guide, creating shadows for objects such as the hilly terrain or wooden stumps (look at squirtle's shadow) shown above is now cakewalk. This will come definitely come in handy for some upcoming stages I have in mind.

Thanks Mewtwo2000 ;D
    - Forte
    « Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:46:34 PM by Forte » Logged

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:49:07 AM »

Looking really nice, thanks to you for following the guide and posting your results here Grin

Stage shadows tutorial

LegacyWolf
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic 128-bit Hardcore Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:33:15 PM »

Well, I'm very impressed with your new shadow system. Looks great.

Hope you come up with more good stuff like this.  Wink

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 03:54:47 AM »

Thanks, I'm glad this kind of stuff is still useful for people around here :3

Stage shadows tutorial

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »

sorry for necro posting, bust seeing this is a guide i dont think it is too bad Cheesy

anyway, i wanna know if i got my facts straight, i have a stage built completely in 3ds max, i already have it working in game and everything, so,
    i think i should go to 3ds max and duplicate all the pieces that will need shadows, which would be everthing that "has collisions", and then in BB i give all these duplicates the shadow material and apply the above mentioned edits to it?

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: