Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Simple .obj Importing  (Read 17201 times)
LegacyWolf
Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic 128-bit Hardcore Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: October 05, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

A while ago, I was requested to make a tutorial on how to import stages, so I figured I should get to doing it.

So to do a basic .obj import, first gather all your materials. You'll need:

-A computer
    -Brawlbox v0.67b or higher
    -3ds Max(2010 recommended)
    -.obj file and textures of the stage you want to import(optional)

To acquire a .obj file of a stage, you can either rip it from the game, or get it from a model resource site, such as http://www.models-resource.com/

Example of how you can find a .obj

Assuming you've gathered all tools needed, now you must find a .obj. In my example, I will be using www.models-resource.com to get my .obj.

Keep in mind that you can use anything shown here. I merely chose Sweet Mountain because I remember somebody wanted to do it, but they didn't exactly know how.

Alright, now that you got all your [censored] downloaded, open it and extract the files somewhere.

(and by extract, I mean I don't give a [censored], just put the folder somewhere memorable)

Open that folder, and you'll see all your [censored] in there.

Exporting as .dae

Now, open 3ds max.

When doing things in 3ds max, I like to maximize the bottom-right viewport. To do this, just click the + in the top-left corner of that viewport.

Now, to import the files. Go to File>Import, then go to the folder you extracted earlier and import a .obj file from it. You'll find numerous .obj files in the folder, so choose any one of them. You may choose to import all of them separately and make a large stage. However, there are many problems with that procedure, so I wouldn't exactly recommend it.

Now, when importing, you should be greeted with this pop-up. The only thing I would recommend changing is the model units to inches. I encountered a problem importing during this tutorial because I was a dumbass and had it set to miles...

So the model should now show on your screen.

Under certain conditions, the model may only have 1 material ID. This means it will only read a single texture when being imported to Brawlbox. To prevent this, you'll need to download this script: http://www.mediafire.com/?ezedyi2uvo33duo

Now, just drag that script over the model, then click DETACH(You do not need to do this, as it will not work on this model, but this is to provide a solution in the event that you do encounter this problem in the future).

Next, go to File>Export. In the file type, click the arrow and select Autodesk collada (.DAE). Save the file anywhere(I'd prefer to save to my desktop). You will be prompted with another screen. Just click OK.

Open up Brawlbox v0.67b, then right-click a .brres file and click import>model(I am creating a new brres file here). Locate the .dae file you exported and open it. Set the type to Stage/Item, uncheck Remap Materials, and click Okay. The model is now a mdl0 model.

SUCCESS, MUTHA[censored]A.

Getting the stage import to work

Now to import the textures. Return to your folder with all the stuff in it. Select all .png(or .jpeg) images and copy them to a separate folder. The name does not matter, but I chose to name it "textures".

Right-click the .brres, then click Import>Folder. Select the folder with the textures, then click OK. Set the format of each texture as CMPR or RGB5A3, whichever one makes the texture look better(though I'd recommend CMPR, as it reduces filesize), and click Okay(some of these you may need to change later on). This may take awhile.

*Keep in mind that the stage import I am demonstrating contains 183 textures. It was quite a pain in the ass to get all these imported separately. The mere .brres came out to 6.79 MB. Obviously, that's not going to work. Just delete the textures that the model does not read.

Right-click the model and click preview.

You'll see your model in the model viewer, rotated incorrectly. Often times, I find myself needing to reduce the scale of the object to ridiculously low values just to view it, so if you do not see the model, reduce the scale values like I said.

Set the rotation-x value to -90 so it's rotated correctly.

Exit the model viewer. Right-click the .brres file with the newly-imported mdl0, and go to new>model animation.

There is now a new chr0 data named NewCHR. You can keep that name, or you can rename it. Doesn't matter. However...

I would suggest renaming the TopN bone of the new model. Rename it to something unique. I am renaming it to "sweetmtn".

Next, preview the new model. Select the renamed bone, then copy all of its values, then select the new model animation data, and paste the values into it.

Finally, run the stage in-game, fix it up and make it look decent, and enjoy your stage import.

Feedback and questions are recommended. I'd better see some good stage imports from you all. Im srs here

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:17:06 PM by Legacy Wolf » Logged

X
    Mega Kitten

Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm back.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »

AWESOME 2.0!
    You made the tutorial!

LegacyWolf
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic 128-bit Hardcore Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

Indeed. You gonna try an import?

X
    Mega Kitten

Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm back.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »

Indeed. You gonna try an import?
    Hopefully tomorrow, if I get the time.
    I'm thinking of doing The Great Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time. I already have the model sitting around on my desktop, so I should probably put it to good use.

LegacyWolf
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »

Goodie. x3

Shinobu Nyan!
    Lol Kitten

How the Cool Kids Dance Once More!!

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Hot Topic Warm Welcomer Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »

Very good. One thing though, when you said to right click a .brres file you didn't say that you have to make it by going to File -> New -> Brres Resource Pack. You might want to add that so people know where you got that brres file.

Click Sig For My Tutorial Thread

I'm Just You're Friendly Forum Pseudo Narcissist
    This is Nyan. She He is indeed random and also definitely not a pervert.
    I Will Accept Everyone's Faults As Long As They're Not Annoying.

LegacyWolf
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »

Well, yes. However, I had assumed people would want to perform the import directly into the stage instead of having to use a new brres.

I'll note that later.

Shinobu Nyan!
    Lol Kitten

How the Cool Kids Dance Once More!!

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Hot Topic Warm Welcomer Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

Well, yes. However, I had assumed people would want to perform the import directly into the stage instead of having to use a new brres.

I'll note that later.
    Good point, however it's always good to explain how you got what's in the picture.

Click Sig For My Tutorial Thread

I'm Just You're Friendly Forum Pseudo Narcissist
    This is Nyan. She He is indeed random and also definitely not a pervert.
    I Will Accept Everyone's Faults As Long As They're Not Annoying.

LegacyWolf
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »

Indeed. Edits completed. I'll proofread it more once I get around to it.

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »

when I imported my model into my .brres file, it seemed to work until it finished importing, where the program stopped responding and an error report appeared. Do you know what the problem is? I made sure that I imported it as a stage/item not a character. I think it might be my graphics card being too low. My dad had installed two screens for my computer and my brother removed one because he thought it got annoying, so I think I have to reinstall my graphics card or something like that

LegacyWolf
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »

when I imported my model into my .brres file, it seemed to work until it finished importing, where the program stopped responding and an error report appeared. Do you know what the problem is? I made sure that I imported it as a stage/item not a character. I think it might be my graphics card being too low. My dad had installed two screens for my computer and my brother removed one because he thought it got annoying, so I think I have to reinstall my graphics card or something like that

Im srs here

...Well, it COULD be your graphics card...well, I've had a problem similar to this. There were too many vertices. Keep in mind that a model that exceeds 12,000 vertices could be troubling. That may very well be your problem.

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

OK I'll see. i was using the stage you fight Tabuu on though, and I got it from the website you gave us.

Jerza
    Extreme Kitten

FairyTail!!!

• Awards RAGE!! Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

And If I Have The Bress File Of The Stage How Can I Get It Over STGFinal.pac ?

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »

I suppose maybe you could delete the archives in STGFINAL.pac and import the .brres file.

LegacyWolf
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »

I suppose maybe you could delete the archives in STGFINAL.pac and import the .brres file.

Uh

REPLACE. Not delete.

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: