Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Combining Brawl models with only Brawlbox!  (Read 6243 times)
Azure_Shadow
Extreme Kitten

Do not touch.

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: October 06, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

Note! This tutorial is old and better methods may exist for combining models. This tutorial uses brawlbox 0.63c, though any version of brawlbox after 0.63c ought to work.

If you're having issues with the models, please make sure you are following all the steps. It works when I use it, but I am not skilled enough to troubleshoot brawlbox's computer-specific errors or model-specific errors.

This tutorial is meant to help people combine models or add new polygons to existing models. I made this tutorial because I spent three months and 250+ files trying to get my model combinations to work out, and no one had any tutorials for me to use. I want to spare others that frustration.
    It's pretty simple really, but you ought to have a basic understanding of Brawlbox before you start this. I use version .65c, but it shouldn't matter which version you use.

Part I- Getting the object into Brawlbox.
        1. Open the .pac or .pcs file containing the model or polygons you want to add.
        2. Export the MDL0 file from the first BRRES, and any textures you'll want from the second BRRES as well.
        3. Open the MDL0 file, view it in Brawlbox's Model Viewer, and deselect polygons until only the ones you want to keep remain. Write those down and go to the 'objects' folder inside the MDL0; there you will be able to see what objects are attached to the polygons you want to add. Write these down.
        4. Open the receiving character's fitcharacter##.pac file, go to the model, and select 'import object'. Choose your MDL0 file and select the polygons that you wrote down in the last step. You can only select one at a time, so repeat this step as necessary.
        5. Brawlbox will ask you where you want the new bones attached to. DO NOT check the box that will merge the two models together, but just pick the bone that you want your new polygon to be attached to. So in the case of a meat cleaver-wielding Peach, that would probably be the Lhave and Rhave bones.
        6. Delete all of the new bones on your imported polygons that don't affect them. You can tell if a bone affects it by rotating the bone in the viewer. If nothing moves (AND it is one of your new bones), delete it!
        7. Import the textures that the new polygons have into the textures BRRES.
    Part I is accomplished!

Part II: Editing the model
        1. View the model in the model viewer. If it looks good, then you're done here too. If not, then you'll have to rotate, scale, and translate the bones until they're where you want them (DON'T LOAD ANIMATIONS WHILE DOING THIS! THE MODEL SHOULD BE T-POSED!)
        2. Rename the root (first bone) of your recently imported bones to have an uppercase 'N' on the end of them. So if you're bone tree looks like cleaver_handle -> cleaver_base -> cleaver_tip, rename the cleaver_handle to cleaver_handleN.
        3. Save your model and go on to the next part. This will be the most tedious part, but very necessary.
    Part II is accomplished!

Part III: Troubleshooting
        1. First, save your modified model, close it, and then reopen it. Most of the time, the objects will have the wrong materials assigned to them. Go into the 'object' folder in the model and scroll through ALL of the objects. For every polygon, the material name should be the same as the vertex node name. If they are different, change the material name.
        2. Often, the new polygons that you added will not have a visibility bone set. Set them to Top-N if you want them to appear all the time, set them to other bones if you only want them to appear when those bones are visible. Also, make sure that they are bound to their imported bones (singlebind entry).
        3. Test your model in Brawl! Sometimes, it will go over the size limit, in which case the game will freeze once you select the character. If this happens, try re-importing your textures and change the compression to CMPR- this will save a lot of space.
        4. If your model looks weird, as though Brawlbox hasn't accepted your changes, things get more complicated. I'm only a beginner myself, but I've overcome this problem each time I had to by following these steps. First, try renaming the root bone to have a capital 'M' on the end, rather than an 'N'.  
        5. If the model still doesn't look right in Brawl, there's still a way to fix it (I did this when I added wings to a special Marth model). First, write down all the changes you had to make to the bones to get the imported polygons in the right position. Then, change their singlebind value to the bone that you want them attached to (so for Peach to hold the cleaver, it might be Lhave and Rhave). Your model will not look the same in the model viewer, but that's alright. Just copy and paste the values back into place. DO NOT try to make it look correct (yet)- The model may or may not look weird in the viewer, but it should work perfectly in Brawl. If it doesn't, you'll have to do some more tinkering.
        6. In the case of some mods, your character may function differently- this is because the altered bone structure is messing with PSA. You have three options: you can try to make your new polygons fuze with the model's original bones, you can learn PSA and change all the values (wouldn't THAT be tedious Tongue), or you can do what I did and remove unecessary bones or play with the bone structure until the bones are in the right places.  What I mean is this: Brawlbox uses bone ID numbers to attach hitboxes and GFX. When you add new a new bone, it shifts the others' bone ID's up a number. Most of the time this will be unnoticable, but in the case of some mods it is very noticable. Most imports have unnecessary bones that you can delete without having any effect on the model- but because every character and every situation is different, it's up to you to experiment with this step! Note that, once again, this should not be necessary on most of your mods.

That's really all there is to it. If you want to remove polygons from your model, or if you want to replace them with polygons from other models, just find their object and delete it from the 'objects' folder. Simple as that!
    I hope this guide helps those who need it. Leave some feedback for me too- this is my first tutorial!
    « Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:43:38 AM by Azure_Shadow » Logged

Now available in blue.

agent-s
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Favorite'd Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »

this guide is really awesome thank you so much for this tutorial mate Smiley

RyanAnayaMc
    Expert Kitten

Flame!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »

Oh man, this was great! Thanks!

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

I WILL GRIND BENEATH MY HEEL...ALL THAT EXISTS!!!

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »

what ver of brawlbox do you use this for?

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »

umm...nvm...^^'

spriter99
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »

I'm gonna have fun with this...

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »

what if, say, the bone of the imported model already has an M or N at the end of it? do i still put the N at the end of that?

Azure_Shadow
    Extreme Kitten

Do not touch.

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:42:40 PM »

what if, say, the bone of the imported model already has an M or N at the end of it? do i still put the N at the end of that?

You shouldn't need to. The letter is just identifying what type of bone it is, so if the letter is already on the bone, you don't need to add another.
    Do change it from an N to an M (or vica verca) if it isn't working in Brawl, though.

Also note that the newest version of Brawlbox makes this easier, with some bug fixes (such as misassigned material values and object import crashes) and an upgraded model viewer.
    Sadly, however, I haven't played with it enough to know if it presents any new bugs.

Now available in blue.

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »

well when i tried importing ganons sword for link to use for a ganonstyled link hack what happens in game after porting it to the haven that the master sword is in is the sword isnt white as it should be, rather its brown, and it doesnt stick to the hir box. am i supposed to port it over one of the sword bones that have the whoel sword on it?[example:kenc/kenj]

Azure_Shadow
    Extreme Kitten

Do not touch.

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »

Sorry for the late response; I haven't checked this thread in a while. PM me if you have more problems.

Okay, so you're trying to swap Link's sword? Firstly, it doesn't actually follow the haveN bone- it does follow KenC, the first bone for the sword, so I'd attach Ganon's sword to that.
    Secondly though, you'll want to make sure it's AFTER the original sword in the bonelist if you want the sword hitboxes to be unaffected. Remember what I said about bone ID values- PSA uses them to assign hitboxes. If Ganon's sword follows the same bone and is in the same place as Link's sword, then the fact that the hitboxes aren't really attached to it becomes inconsequential, because it will look the same. But you need to make sure that it's AFTER the original sword's bone structure beneath KenC, or else you'll mess with the ID values and screw up the hitboxes.
    Hope this helps!

Now available in blue.

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »

ok thanks man. so basically after doing that and rotating the sword itself into place it SHOULD work without problems attacking wise?

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• Awards KCMM Veteran Super Saiyan Topic Hey! Listen! Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »

I can't get this to work...

Unkown Kokiri
    Extreme Kitten

stage importer and exporter

• Awards Hot Topic Dedicated Hacker Tutorial Writer Diamond in the Rough

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:35:47 AM »

is there a video or something?

i have a new site click here to check it out
    http://mrhalloweencreations.wix.com/-unkownkokiri

BraveDragonWolf
    Supreme Kitten

People hate me...

• Awards Hey! Listen! Renowned Hacker Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »

What if the model looks perfect the way I want it, but starts flickering all over the screen in the game? I'm working on the MGRR Gray Fox model btw.

BabyLuigiOnFire
    Hyper Kitten

Number Not One

• Awards Hot Topic Favorite'd Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »

You mean the textures are flickering? If so your textures aren't in CMPR format. When you import textures, there's a window that pops up and you see the format (like I8 or RGB). Change that to CMPR

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: