Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 [2]
Author Topic: How to properly optimize your model (3dsmax)  (Read 6862 times)
RAWRzilla
Hyper Kitten

Texture Archivist

• Awards Renowned Hacker Starstormer Diamond in the Rough Active Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

So I gave it a try and took down Chandelure's model from about 1744 faces to 900. Took me all of 10 minutes once I figured out what I was doing. Although I managed to reimport it well, and the animations work, I have some concerns.

Disclaimer, I am a complete model importing noob. I just took about 15 minutes to figure it all out, so I have ZERO experience with this. That being said:

In animations, it seems blobby and disproportionate, and the specular maps (for glass effects and whatnot) do not work well anymore. I do not know how to import them to the model correctly in 3DS Max. My guess is that they do not function like regular textures, correct?

How Brawlbox handles the original model

How Brawlbox handles my edited, reimported model

How the model appears during animations

It goes without saying that I've done something wrong, but the "what", "where" and "how" is completely lost on me. I want to re-release all my pokemon models so people can properly enjoy them, but I do NOT want to learn the entire universe of model importing, rigging and etc just to do that. Can somebody here help me? A point in the right direction?

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »

To RawrZilla.

The weird way it looks now is caused, more likely, by normals(They control how light affects the object). Are you using the latest brawlbox? does it look ok in Max?

For the animation thing. You'r optimizing most likely screwed the rig. You can fix it using skinwrap. These two tutorials explain the basics of skinwrap, it is not complicated at all.
    Perfect Auto-Rig Guide

Skin Wrap, save time when adding objects

For the spec maps and stuff. They were lost when importing it back into max and into brawlbox. They can be easily fixed by replacing the materials with the ones of the original model (in brawlbox).

RAWRzilla
    Hyper Kitten

Texture Archivist

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 06:15:20 AM »

I'm going to try all that, and yes, I am using the latest brawlbox and everything seems fine in Max.

When I am dragging textures to the model in Max, should I just forget adding the specular maps and all that, and just reimport the materials when I'm re-importing?
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:16:28 AM by RAWRzilla » Logged

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »

Yes, all material stuff is done in brawlbox. The lighting problems are odd considering nothing it looks fine in max.

RAWRzilla
    Hyper Kitten

Texture Archivist

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Thats because I made the mistake of adding the speculars in Max. When I redo it (right now as a matter of fact) I will only include the textures.

Edit: I'm getting frustrated because I dont know how to do simple things like select pieces of the model, and edit those only. It seems to me that there isnt any way I'm accomplishing this without learning 3DS Max, which I really dont have the time to do. I guess I'm giving up.

REEDIT: If some kind soul wants to take the time to make a step-by-step for me, I will take the time to optimize and re-release all 32+ Pokemon models I did, including a few I wasnt able to do due to file size. As I have said, I feel this is a lot simpler than I know, but I feel like learning the ins and outs of 3DS Max us beyond me at the moment.

I'll even open up a thread and take requests.

Lv.4EDITINGPOWERS: So yeah. I found an automatic script that lets you reduce LOD by percentages automatically, and does a brilliant job with it too.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/130913-3ds-Max-Automatic-Level-of-Detail-Max-Script!
    I reduce the polygons complexity by percentages, and if I dont like the result, I undo and chose a different percentage. When I am satisfied with the LOD, I delete the original polygon.

Took Chandelure from 1734 to 781 with no grand deformity to the model! Best of all, if you uncheck deform, it will keep normals! As to the rig, Ive yet to test that.

Edit5yeah: Somebody take a whack at it, please. My brain hurts. http://www.mediafire.com/download/zc34c16bcbdjw5c/Chandelure-Entei.zip

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:42:23 PM by RAWRzilla » Logged

Linnom
    Advanced Kitten

Bone enable master.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 10:10:54 AM »

There's some models in this site that i want to edit but i´m new in this kind of stuff, what should i do? Export the model in dae. format, load in 3ds max, reduce the poly count, rig it again? Someone experient help me!

Smash is the law!

Pages:  1 [2]
    Print
    Jump to: