Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 30
Author Topic: [General] Custom made models  (Read 233876 times)
Peardian
Extreme Kitten

something

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #210 on: April 17, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »

My only suggestions are:
    -Look at how other Brawl models have their UVs laid out, particularly characters. This should give you an idea of how you can divvy up and group UVs.
    -Look for your modeling program's UV optimization tool. Obviously, you can't just rely on it 100%, but it should be able to at least figure out the best way to "unwrap" the UVs to minimize pixel distortion and maximize texture resolution.

Click for my stuff:

Kage Ryu
    Supreme Kitten

The Infrequent Modder

• Awards Heart Container Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #211 on: April 17, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »

will start on my paint roller project once again!
    does anyone have a tip of how to do better textures and UVs? I suck at that :c
    Wait. I recognize that preview. I forgot you already had this in the works when I visited your thread.

Adding onto what Peardian said, take particular note of Kirby and Metaknight's UVs, since those characters are fairly similar. You'll also note that kiby's body is not just a single sphere, but broken up at the eyes so that the eyes can not only have different materials than the body (and, hence, expressions), but can be planar mapped more easily, since spheres don't UV very easily without deforming textures. I would use that technique for the eyes and cheek blushes.

Looking at the UVs for Mario/Luigi's shoes would be a good reference as well when you get to the feet.

For texturing, you can probably cheat on the body and arms/legs by using 4x4 pixel single-color textures and let the shaders do the rest.

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Good Citizen Helping Hand

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #212 on: April 18, 2013, 01:12:27 AM »

My only suggestions are:
    -Look at how other Brawl models have their UVs laid out, particularly characters. This should give you an idea of how you can divvy up and group UVs.
    -Look for your modeling program's UV optimization tool. Obviously, you can't just rely on it 100%, but it should be able to at least figure out the best way to "unwrap" the UVs to minimize pixel distortion and maximize texture resolution.

thank you for the advice x3 yet, I am bad on texturing D:

Wait. I recognize that preview. I forgot you already had this in the works when I visited your thread.

Adding onto what Peardian said, take particular note of Kirby and Metaknight's UVs, since those characters are fairly similar. You'll also note that kiby's body is not just a single sphere, but broken up at the eyes so that the eyes can not only have different materials than the body (and, hence, expressions), but can be planar mapped more easily, since spheres don't UV very easily without deforming textures. I would use that technique for the eyes and cheek blushes.

Looking at the UVs for Mario/Luigi's shoes would be a good reference as well when you get to the feet.

For texturing, you can probably cheat on the body and arms/legs by using 4x4 pixel single-color textures and let the shaders do the rest.

i know about the eyes, I did the same thing!

and I am actually planing to do the shoes by myself.

EDIT: I just made the base of the shoes from scratch!

only thing left is the wheels!
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:19:01 PM by pikazz » Logged

Stupid Tinypic :C

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #213 on: April 18, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »

Now here's a question: are you planning on making him close to Brawl's art style, or are you trying to make it as close to the original Kirby art style? Because if you're going for Brawl's style, I recommend looking up photos of roller skates to give you an idea of some of the details you can model out for the wheel portion. Actually, I recommend doing this either way, as it will give you a better understanding for what you're modeling, even if it's really stylized.

Edit: The same goes for caps like the one he wears.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:06:28 PM by Peardian » Logged

Click for my stuff:

Pervyman Trigger
    The Perverted Protagonist
    Special Access

HO HEY

• Awards B Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Cookie Clicker!?

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #214 on: April 18, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »

I do believe I haven't posted this here yet o-o

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #215 on: April 18, 2013, 11:57:16 PM »

Now here's a question: are you planning on making him close to Brawl's art style, or are you trying to make it as close to the original Kirby art style? Because if you're going for Brawl's style, I recommend looking up photos of roller skates to give you an idea of some of the details you can model out for the wheel portion. Actually, I recommend doing this either way, as it will give you a better understanding for what you're modeling, even if it's really stylized.

Edit: The same goes for caps like the one he wears.

thank you for the advice x3 I want it to be kirby style with cartoon and cartoon shading.
    I will add some extra details for the wheels however.

I only using this pic for a reference

Kage Ryu
    Supreme Kitten

The Infrequent Modder

• Awards Heart Container Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #216 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »

That pic is pretty heavily stylized and most certainly not made with the third dimension in mind. Note that the skates are even the exact same shape, duplicated, flipped, then rotated 45°.

Not a bad ref in general though, and for color, go for it, but might I suggest this ref in addition?

It's up to you in the end. Just throwing this one out there, since it has a bit more detail and is drawn with 3D shapes in mind. Although personally, I like the proportions of the ref you showed (with the large hands and feet).

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #217 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »

That pic is pretty heavily stylized and most certainly not made with the third dimension in mind. Note that the skates are even the exact same shape, duplicated, flipped, then rotated 45°.

Not a bad ref in general though, and for color, go for it, but might I suggest this ref in addition?

It's up to you in the end. Just throwing this one out there, since it has a bit more detail and is drawn with 3D shapes in mind. Although personally, I like the proportions of the ref you showed (with the large hands and feet).

I did actually use that ref you gave me to the cap cause it were difficult to the cap I used.

Cola1
    Expert Kitten

Reverse Ideology

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #218 on: April 20, 2013, 06:49:57 AM »

Geeh sorry for the late reply but it appears that Luigi himself is cause most problems to do with the Roull, I just tried another import on him and the textures came out completely destroyed... So am I going to have to make him over another character for the textures to work?

ok i shrunk it

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #219 on: April 20, 2013, 07:11:45 AM »

ur probably just doing something wrong

JBG
    Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
    Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #220 on: April 20, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »

So, if I posted what I had of a custom Majora model, would someone be able to finish it? I tried to piece her together from Brawl characters, but...well yeah it didn't work so well.

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #221 on: April 22, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »

the paint roller model is done! the thing left is UV and texture but SonicBrawler wanted to do that so he will fix that

DJ Lowgey
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #222 on: April 23, 2013, 05:40:39 AM »

the paint roller model is done! the thing left is UV and texture but SonicBrawler wanted to do that so he will fix that

so cute ^__^

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #223 on: April 28, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »

texture is 100% mine, model is made of pieces from other models
    « Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:47:37 PM by joke king » Logged

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #224 on: April 29, 2013, 05:04:11 PM »

So, I realized that some people here might want this thing I made a while ago, unrelated to Brawl. I figured it could be used as a backdrop of some kind or something, I dunno.

Should I post it? Y/N

Click for my stuff:

Pages:  1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 30
    Print
    Jump to: