Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: Would you like me to hold off on releasing UMC to work on SIDE??
Yes please, an IDE like that could really help me! - 4 (57.1%)
Nah, just release UMC without SIDE. - 3 (42.9%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages:  1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14
Author Topic: Universal Model Converter - beta testing  (Read 93454 times)
DarkPikachu
Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container KCMM Veteran Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #120 on: May 20, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »

just to post a small amount here of what I have over at SWF Smiley
    (I don't feel UMC_SIDE is worth updating my forum's thread for) Tongue

for more info:
    http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-official-development-thread.334292/page-7

Post Merge: May 21, 2014, 09:18:44 AM
    well I woke up to a scare this morning and it pushed me to use my forum for UMC.

I didn't think I was ready to make the jump just yet, but now I realize I'm more than ready, so here it is:

the thread for UMC updates: (just to follow)
    http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/143/official-universal-converter-development-thread
    and the thread for UMC discussion: (I will also talk about UMC_SIDE here)
    http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/144/public-umc-discussion-thread

@mods:
    I'm not trying to advertize...
    this is just something to let the people know I won't be posting here (this thread) much more,
    and where to go if you want to get a quick reply.
    (I'm too busy now, more than ever, to manage everywhere at once)

Post Merge: May 22, 2014, 11:52:20 AM
    well, I got enough people making me hit myself for not making the release...
    so here's a pre-release for you guys. Smiley
    http://www.4shared.com/archive/TH8ac5Iiba/UMCv30ad45.html

what doesn't work yet:
    - proper exporting (this still uses the previous functions and exports only up to bones (not weights))
    - the GUI (the port didn't work out well, and it's still a little laggy and buggy)

I'd hoped to have these improved and more stable by the actual release.
    sorry I couldn't make it guys. Sad

what you can do with it is import materials and textures, and actually read the available features Smiley
    (these will also be available (including weights) in the SES file if you'd like to try to convert directly to another format)
    ^ I've provided the SES v1 documentation Smiley

you may also edit the source of this release to try to make improvements Wink
    as well as release your improvements, but please notify me, I have a group just for doing this. Undecided

EDIT:
    also, there are known bugs with the OBJ importer, the model is there, it just has a clear texture over it.
    there's also another known bug:

also... sorry about the crummy post merge screwing everything up... not exactly my fault here. Tongue
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:48:40 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

Quote: Friedslick6
    you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
    But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
    you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
    You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

Sammi Husky
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker >9000 King for a Day

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #121 on: May 22, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »

This is nice, been looking forward to the next pre-release. If i knew python and had time between my schedules i'd help you out..but yea no time+Multiple Projects+ no python experience = bad.

In any case, keep up the good work mate.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #122 on: May 22, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »

If i knew python and had time between my schedules i'd help you out..but yea no time+Multiple Projects+ no python experience = bad.
    this is exactly how I feel about Brbx XD
    except for the fact I'm now not willing to learn C# since it's a horrible language (worse than Java)
    ^I'm not calling python spectacular either... it's extremely slow for being interpreted, but it's simplicity makes up for it. Tongue

but yea, many thanks Smiley

I'm working on the interface for v3.0 so I can't say when I'll get back to 3.0a...
    if worst comes to worst, this may be the last release of v3.0a.

v3.0 is so much faster and much more organized as well as more informative Wink
    (UMC_SIDE will show just how informative it is)

not to mention v3.0's extendability, I'm even introducing a mods system. Smiley
    (mods may or may not be implemented to the actual interface... it depends on their quality of use)

as for progress on 3.0, I'm still on the automated backend... heh

I'm expecting automation almost as good as click team fusion, but for data. Wink

you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.

you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

TheShyGuy
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic KCMM Veteran Heart Container Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #123 on: May 22, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »

Hey Tcll, it's nice to see that you're devoted to this after so long.  How do you do the conversion from one format to another?  I'd imagine you import from one format to an internal intermediate more general one.  Then convert from that to the export format.  That way you're not trying to code ways to export directly from one format to another.  If this is how you do it, couldn't you support basic formats to more complex ones as you move forward?  The main dev would then be  focusing on allowing the internal intermediate blah format/structure to support everything -or chunking the internal format up so it's less coupled to eachother ([verts,edges,faces], [vert IDs, uvs, normals, binorm,tan],[vert IDs,bones,weights], etc instead of [verts,edges,faces,uvs,normals,binormals,tans,bones,weights] .....if you get what I'm saying hehee). 

I haven't kept up-to-date with things around here.  Sorry if you answered this or I misunderstand how you're doing things.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #124 on: May 22, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »

TSG, good to see ya again Grin

but yep, you called it right off Smiley
    v3.0a's format is handled as a large list of structures. (the SES v1 format is exactly that list)
    v3.0 does things using classes now which are 10x faster and much more efficient as well as easily extendable Smiley

but the SES v2 had to be changed to basically a python script format, similar to how you supply data to OpenGL using the fixed function pipeline.
    ^ what I mean is all of the formatting functions you use in your script are called with given data types.

if you've ever used OGLE, you'd understand what I mean when you look into an export.

but for those who havn't, it'll look something like this:
    '''
    ugeSetScene( "Scene0" )
    ugeSetObject( "Player_Rig" )
    ugeSetBone( "Top" )
    ugeSetObject( "Player_Model" )
    ugeSetObjectParent( "Player_Rig" )

'''

I will support legacy exporting since SES v1 IS fully extendable, but needs alot of extra work to support the extensions.
    (heck in the v1 documentation, you can see I've already made plans to add animation) Wink
    ^ VIEWER.py can't render the animation though in v3.0a

in v3.0 VIEWER.py is a plugin (UMC can work without it) Tongue

might I mention I'm looking into the GitHub API for validating UMC updates Wink
    (updates aren't performed directly... there's a separate interface that checks a separate file to validate the updates before any operations are actually performed.)

yes, this means the first release of v3.0 will auto-update.

as far as UMC goes, as of v3.0 nothing is expected to be removed in future updates. Wink

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #125 on: May 27, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »

maybe I won't let this thread die Smiley

but any updates I make, I'll just post a link to my thread now...
    (same for all my other 5-10 side-threads) Tongue

anyways...
    boom: (UMC_SIDE)
    http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/144/public-umc-discussion-thread?page=1&scrollTo=957

the go button now recognizes the functions being called and returns the appropriate data Smiley
    now to start feeding the previewers :3

Shinobu Nyan!
    Lol Kitten

How the Cool Kids Dance Once More!!

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Hot Topic Warm Welcomer Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #126 on: May 29, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »

Totally stopped coming here after it got to technical for me, but glad to see this is much further along.
    maybe I won't let this thread die Smiley

but any updates I make; ll just post a link to my thread now...
    (same for all my other 5-10 side-threads) Tongue
    Just make sure you do update here periodically, this still is an interesting program.

Click Sig For My Tutorial Thread

I'm Just You're Friendly Forum Pseudo Narcissist
    This is Nyan. She He is indeed random and also definitely not a pervert.
    I Will Accept Everyone's Faults As Long As They're Not Annoying.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #127 on: May 29, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »

thanks Smiley
    I updated the OP btw with the download Wink

Just make sure you do update here periodically, this still is an interesting program.
    I'll be updating kc-mm and SWF the most Wink

can't promise periodicly though...
    I'm working on much more than just UMC (both projects including externals and docs) alone.

I'd have more frequent updates if people (not here) knew what "helping" was. >_<
    (I'm talking about a bunch of python "experts" who think my "overly complex" code is a load of garbage)
    ^ they seem to want UMC to have a complex Blender-script style coding...
    WTF do they know! >.<
    if I do that, you can kiss the "70% less code needed" good bye... heh (not happening)

if you think I'm depressed by this, you can think again. Wink
    this type of behavior makes me want to be a better person/developer than anyone else.
    (it fuels me to continue working so I can punch them in the face with my program) Grin

N64killer
    Mega Kitten

Ah! You have seen me. Your death is near.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #128 on: May 29, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »

Nice to see a new version of this being released.

The Dry Boney that needs canon to make sig with sense,
    But has a image sig.
    *has SD card now*

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #129 on: May 29, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »

Nice to see a new version of this being released.
    again, I must warn, it's only a pre-release...
    the export system isn't really worth the effort it offers

if you actually want to get anything, you'll need to support the SES v1 format in outer importers. Wink
    (that format is what stores everything including animations (future))

N64killer
    Mega Kitten

Ah! You have seen me. Your death is near.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #130 on: May 30, 2014, 05:10:10 PM »

Where do I go to have this file format supported is this part of the download? Because google search gets me nothing. Also I should have a new sd card by next month just sayin. 

The Dry Boney that needs canon to make sig with sense,
    But has a image sig.
    *has SD card now*

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #131 on: May 30, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

Where do I go to have this file format supported is this part of the download? Because google search gets me nothing. Also I should have a new sd card by next month just sayin. 
    I've provided the v1 format with the download. Wink

google returns nothing because the SES (session) format is native to UMC.
    (everything imported into UMC gets stored in that format) Smiley

external support is unavailable as I've built the SES format...
    this is my first time actually passing a legit documentation for it around... heh

remember guys, this is only a pre-release...
    I was nagged by a few people to release what I had (since it was taking me forever to get to)...
    so this is more for them than for you guys. Tongue

what I have in store for you guys (by the actual release of v3.0a):
    - a decent export system (including textures and weights)
    - a decent, more stable and controllable GUI

^just to finish what I started

feel free to edit the source code of the download Wink
    heck, if you make some decent improvments to the code,
    let me know cause I'd like to add you to my box and give you credit for everything you do. Grin
    ^maybe you could even help me improve v3.0 and UMC_SIDE. Smiley
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:22:57 PM by Tcll » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #132 on: June 03, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

UMC_SIDE update: http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/144/public-umc-discussion-thread Smiley
    put alot of work into this and had to change the interface a bit to get it working... heh

EDIT:
    btw, sorry if work on this seems to be slowing down...
    I'll be honest, I'm actually trying to speed it up,
    but I've only just released another plugin I've been working on (Unlimited Custom User Smileys) for my forum. Wink

EDIT2:
    don't forget about my biggest forum plugin I'm working on though:
    Unlimited Role-Play Character Dialogs with sync-age between forums Wink
    « Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:26:10 PM by Tcll » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #133 on: June 27, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »

major update to scripts announced:

http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/144/public-umc-discussion-thread

also, if I must point out a misconception, I don't build the scripts for converting formats, everyone else does.
    UMC provides a scripting interface simple enough for non-programmers and hacking noobs to use and learn from,
    and by 3.0, an IDE to make things even easier and more convenient for noobs to write scripts for the interface. Wink

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #134 on: June 29, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »

updated the 3.0 function layout for the 3.0a port-release:
    http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/182/layout
    ^the reddish functions cannot be used in 3.0a

I've still got a few updates to make on the functions as the release will be able to both import and export bones and weights Wink
    (since the SES format in the current release already supports it)
    ^the problem was the provided interface being a tad too complex to modify, to where it was a tad too overwhelming to do anything.

Pages:  1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14
    Print
    Jump to: