Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: Would you like me to hold off on releasing UMC to work on SIDE??
Yes please, an IDE like that could really help me! - 4 (57.1%)
Nah, just release UMC without SIDE. - 3 (42.9%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages:  1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: Universal Model Converter - beta testing  (Read 92719 times)
DarkPikachu
Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container KCMM Veteran Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #165 on: November 03, 2014, 03:38:32 PM »

i tested the latest build on my comp, (not even sure if it is functional yet but was curious xD) but it seems to work fine for me on windows 8. i'm not 100% certain how to use it tho. i can see that you were able to import models, but i couldn't figure out how to do much more then open it at the time. i think i read somewhere as well in the last release it was not possible to export models yet?

anyway i was just checking in to see how progress was going. what can we epect in the next release?
    eh, the latest release right now still uses the old scripting system...
    that's the reason why I stated the only possible exports were not much more than OBJ worthy (could get bones, but not weights)

and I do have a README in the release with info on how to use it Tongue

sorry that build has a horrid GUI Tongue
    I can't do too much to the GUI w/o maxing out one's CPU
    (I can make a good GUI, but being a noob, I'm using the wrong interfaces)

this next release will still use the CPU as I'd have to completely rebuild GUI.py to make it run on the GPU...
    (I'd rather rebuild UMC and THEN redo the GUI, when most of my work in the viewer will already use the GPU)

one problem with using the CPU like I'm doing is it's extremely slow and weak compaired to the GPU.
    the only upside the CPU has is it's ability to handle more advanced data structures.

so while I'm still using the CPU, I'll do my best to optimize the draw-code and make it alot less tasking on the CPU.
    just keep in mind, the more you have displayed in UMC's window, the higher the CPU usage will be.

this is the main problem with OpenGL's Fixed Function Pipeline.
    UMC 3.0 will fully use the GPU, and if needed will wait for the CPU to process a few requests.
    (this is how animation will be much more possible to display in 3.0)

let's not forget, Python is slow when compared to C++, though it's not the slowest language for being interpreted Smiley

what can we epect in the next release?
    the only reason I'm still working on 3.0a is because 3.0 is going to take a heck of a while to develop (with me being the only one working on it)...
    however, I've modified the SES format with NBT support (bump maps), so I'll probably push out a few more releases before officially scrapping it. Smiley

as of the next release, you can expect to write scripts using the functions supported in UMC 3.0:
    http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/182/layout
    ^ I do intend to document these a little better

What this means is that any scripts you write for the next release of 3.0a will work in 3.0 whenever it's released. Wink

one problem that still persists in 3.0a though is library support is very lacking...
    so try to keep things at script level, or contact me if you need help on an advanced interface with extended support.

a problem with the library support is that UMC's viewer uses the CPU to do it's work, however, the model displayed is stored in GPU RAM, so it's kinda hard to gain access to the data for modification.
    (scripts are not allowed to have this kind of access as they're meant to be single file)

OpenGL does provide an interface to share data between the CPU and GPU, but doing so requires a shader to properly handle the data, which UMC 3.0a lacks.

This means something like my minecraft library will be pushed back to UMC 3.0.
    I can still work on basic scripts for this, but you won't see any viewable features until 3.0.

the purpose of a library is to provide extended and shared support for scripts, thus meaning your scripts can be made smaller and contain less code, rather than contain duplicate codes.

the only library I have right now to test with is for Nintendo texture formats (RVL_IMG.py)
    this is being used across my TEX0 and DAT scripts

Quote: Friedslick6
    you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
    But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
    you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
    You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #166 on: November 06, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »

may as well post an update Smiley

this is the kind of support you can expect to see by the next release: Wink

http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-side-development-thread.334292/page-9#post-17926136
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:52:00 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.

you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #167 on: January 28, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »

another update

so I've been working on completely overhauling and rebuilding the GUI, and this is currently how far I've come:

and oops, I messed up with the text and used the widget names... lol
    that's a simple fix Tongue

soon enough this thing will be functional, and I can start working on the rest of the UI Wink

this rebuild uses a crap-load less CPU and is alot easier to work with.
    this means I can add alot more with alot less hassle and alot more efficiency (more FPS).

I'm still a ways away from a release, but I'm slowly crawling there as I add more functionality and widgets Smiley
    (I'm hoping to get script-GUIs working as well, now that I have an interface that can handle them) Cheesy
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:52:57 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #168 on: February 07, 2015, 11:34:27 PM »

figured I may as well post an update since the GUI has now come a long way since I got the dialog working Smiley

I'm still sorting out a few small issues with the select box functionality, but after this, I'll be working on the panels and perhaps a few options as well Smiley
    or I might save the options for an update Tongue
    either way, they'll be added Grin

since the UI is alot simpler to work with now, I might start updating a bit more often on here as well as other forums. Wink
    but I think I'll save the updates for something major... heh

if you want the most up-to-date stuff, my most active location will be SmashBoards until my forum's activity picks up a bit better.
    (not saying the inactivity is bad, I actually currently like it as it's less stress for me) :3
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:53:44 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #169 on: February 10, 2015, 07:52:14 AM »

just thought I'd post another update Smiley

almost back in business Smiley

and even missing images:

ERROR: ugeSetImageData() image 'metal00' not found.
    ACTION: Skipping

now I just gotta work on the export panel, which is roughly the same as the import panel,
    and I think I'm just gonna restore the display panel to what I had before.
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:55:33 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

pikazz
    Heroic Kitten

Machinimator!

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Good Citizen Helping Hand

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #170 on: February 10, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »

question, what animation formats will it be able to export?

Stupid Tinypic :C

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #171 on: February 10, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »

question, what animation formats will it be able to export?

well... when animation support is being focused on...
    any formats you could write a script for. Smiley

here's a piece from COMMON showing planned support Wink
    Code:

global _UGE_Scripts; _UGE_Scripts = {
        UGE_MODEL_SCRIPT: { 'Import':{},
                            'Export':{} },
        # I'll leave this... might update FORMAT later (SES can suport it w/o messing anything up)
        UGE_ANIMATION_SCRIPT: { 'Import':{},
        UGE_IMAGE_SCRIPT: { 'Import':{},
        UGE_PALLET_SCRIPT: { 'Import':{},
        UGE_COMPRESSION_SCRIPT: { 'Import':{},
                                  'Export':{} }
        }

I should change "might" to "will" lol

also, that's SESv1 supported internally by 3.0a
    VIEWER can't support animation w/o some huge framerate drawbacks.
    but FORMAT can, which I can add later. Wink

back then I wasn't sure if this interface could handle it as it was only an idea... heh

I plan to have a release out soon after if not within the week Wink

script support is not planned because UMCSL cannot run properly in this build.
    UMCSL will be supported by 3.0 (along with alot of other stuff 3.0a just can't do well, if at all)

Post Merge: February 12, 2015, 07:54:48 AM
    well...
    I hate to say it... but I'm not gonna be able to make the release...

it WILL be extremely soon, but I can't exactly say how soon

hey at least I'm not like the low-lifes at Ubisoft. XD
    I want to clear up as many bugs as possible to have this thing as functional as needed by the release. Wink
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:54:48 AM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #172 on: February 14, 2015, 05:01:14 PM »

]I'm just about ready to go into beta testing before releasing :3

I'm just now restoring KBd interaction with the UI and fixing minor display issues

CPU usage has gotten better as well (the purpose of the new UI, aside from making things easier to work with):
    - old UI
    - new UI (with import)

I've still got a few optimizations I can do, but that'll take a while to clean up.
    so I can promise a release here soon Smiley
    (I just can't say how soon as big issues could arise during beta testing)

Post Merge: February 15, 2015, 01:28:49 PM
    I AM NOW BETA TESTING! Happy Face

for those who want to try it out, download a zip of my folder here:
    https://copy.com/3Zg7S8HwFyVaXstm

Please understand, this is my active collaborative repository, which is updated as I edit the src.
    alot of included scripts here don't work properly if at all and won't be in the release.

the official release will be hosted on GitHub Wink

Post Merge: February 15, 2015, 04:29:19 PM
    just to notify, I know about the GL error on some model imports:
    Code:
    importing TyPichu.dat 100%
    Converting from import format...
    Verifying data...
    Finalizing...
    Updating Viewer

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "Z:\home\tcll\sync\copy\UMC_v3.0a\API.py", line 40, in run
        VIEWER.Init()
      File "Z:\home\tcll\sync\copy\UMC_v3.0a\data\VIEWER.py", line 1039, in Init
        else: __Draw_Scene() #no 3D display
      File "Z:\home\tcll\sync\copy\UMC_v3.0a\data\VIEWER.py", line 565, in __Draw_Scene
        __GL.glCallList(__MODEL_DATA)
      File "Z:\home\tcll\sync\copy\UMC_v3.0a\data\Python\x86\lib\site-packages\OpenGL\error.py", line 208, in glCheckError
        baseOperation = baseOperation,
    GLError: GLError(
    err = 1281,
    description = 'invalid value',
    baseOperation = glCallList,
    cArguments = (270L,)
    )
    this will eventually be found, I'm not sure what causes this, so please don't report these cases Wink
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:59:41 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #173 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:26 PM »

just wanted to announce a major update to a few things, see here: (too much to fix up and post on here)
    http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-side-development-thread.334292/page-11

it's still not exactly close to an actual release, but things are being worked on Wink
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:01:26 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #174 on: April 04, 2015, 08:56:45 PM »

I think I'll just leave this here :3
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:02:42 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #175 on: April 04, 2015, 08:58:31 PM »

stages ehh? noice "Wherever Vyse goes, cool follows."

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #176 on: April 04, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »

yeh, it seems my hype is cut short though as it's literally the only stage that has shown anything on import w/o an error out of what I've tried so far.

eventually though once I figure out these extra structures (Shuall is providing some amazing documentation) I should eventually have the stage displaying as well as in Melee Smiley

though still, UMC currently doesn't support lights other than it's own, so that's a bit of a drawback for the release...
    I've still got a crap-ton of functions to port and more support to add to make it suitable enough to release.

EDIT:
    idk why the smileys are misbehaving >.>

EDIT2:
    and I just deleted the 2nd half of my post because this thing screwed up 9_9

I'm not retyping that

the smiley is in the middle of the post not here -->

Post Merge: April 04, 2015, 11:06:17 PM
    more stuff here:
    http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-side-development-thread.334292/page-11#post-18908735
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:06:17 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #177 on: April 11, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »

just wanted to make a mention Smiley

older:

I'm still working things out Wink

EDIT:
    btw, I want to mention, during the next few updates before I officially scrap 3.0a, we may or may not see a dev6
    and definitely not a dev7

the devs usually update with a major interface change.

by rights this current version should actually be called 4.1b (due to another (almost) major rebuild), but recent sub-standards and no releases have kept the version at 3.0a

for those who need an explanation as to why there's still no release yet:
    the front-end interface is still far too shoddy and the data verification is still incomplete,
    though it's being worked on with my best knowledge: Wink
    Code:
    def __VerifyBoneTree(BID,Data,children,wpbind,wptransform):
        BoneName, BDL, (l,r,s), Res, Bind, Inv_Bind, PBID, PrBID, CBID, NBID = Data

default = __rr.Matrix44(DM) # default (same as identity)

transform = __rr.Matrix44.from_scale(s) * __rr.Matrix44.from_eulers(r) * __rr.Matrix44.from_translation(l) # Local Transform
        bind = __rr.Matrix44(Bind) # Local Bind
        inverse = __rr.Matrix44(Inv_Bind) # World Inverse Bind

wtransform = __rr.matrix44.multiply(transform,wptransform) # World Transform
        wbind = __rr.matrix44.multiply(bind,wpbind) # World Bind

cinverse = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wbind)
        if (transform == bind).all():
            if (default == bind).all(): # possible problem (this may be the proper local location)
                if (default == inverse).all(): # this may not be the proper locations
                    if (default != wpbind).all(): # assume identity to parent and recalculate the inverse bind.
                        inverse = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind)
                else: # recalculate defaulted bind and LRS
                    wbind = __rr.matrix33.inverse(inverse)
                    pinverse = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind)
                    bind = wbind * pinverse
                    transform = bind

else: # make sure the bind matches the inverse
                if (default == inverse).all(): # this is obviousely wrong
                    inverse = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wbind)
                elif (cinverse != inverse).all():
                    inverse = cinverse

elif (default == bind).all(): pass
        elif (default == transform).all(): pass
        else: # neither are default, but don't match
            pass

# recalculate
        #wtmtx = __rr.matrix44.multiply(ltmtx,wptmtx)
        #wbmtx = __rr.matrix44.multiply(lbmtx,wpbmtx)

if BID in children: # if this bone has any children
            for CID in children[BID]:
                __VerifyBoneTree(CID,Data,children,wbind,wtransform)
    ^ what does this do?

after everything has been imported, the data is still likely unstable, especially for bones.
    what this does is gather the current bone's LRS, Bind, and Inverse coords (for each bone) and tests to make sure everything matches accordingly and even attempts to fix what doesn't match.

what this means is you only need to specify 1 of any:
    - Loc,Rot,Sca
    - Bind Matrix
    - Inverse Matrix

and the verifier will calculate the rest.

if everything is defaulted and nothing is supplied, the verifier maps the Inverse to an inverted world-bind matrix at the parent's location.
    (LRS and Bind don't need to be touched as they're locally defaulted)

so all in all, the verifier stabilizes the supplied data to make it display and export properly as needed.
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:04:58 PM by DarkPikachu » Logged

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #178 on: April 11, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »

r those maps from kirby air ride?

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #179 on: April 11, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »

r those maps from kirby air ride?
    What else could they be :3

Pages:  1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
    Print
    Jump to: