Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to make a Typical Special/What goes on in the Action Tab  (Read 3433 times)
ABloodyCanadian
Ellipsis Abuser…
Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• Awards KCMM Veteran Super Saiyan Topic Hey! Listen! Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: January 15, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »

To those newbies starting with PSA, you may encounter troubles when working on the Special Attacks. You may think that you have to follow and obey the rules that the Special Originally has, so you have to change up your ideas. In my case, that's not entirely true. Don't get me wrong, there are some limitations, but they don't have to limit as far as following the same setup. In this tutorial, we will start from a blank slate, and build up from there. These are some methods I know to creating specials. (This Tutorial Assumes you have SubActions ready for use.)

Okay for now, let's assume that our Special Tab is empty. (Though preferably, you want to modify existing Events...)

1st thing we gotta remember is that this will work both on the ground, and in mid-air. So what we should start off is some If Statements to decide whether it's on the ground or in mid-air.

Just click Add or modify an existing Event so it looks something like this.

Basically what this is saying right now is "If on the Ground, _____. Else, _____." There are blanks in the statement, and we need to fill those in. If you're not aware already, Actions lead to SubActions. So what we have to do now is fill the missing blanks with which SubActions will be used.

For the sake of this tutorial, I'll use Value FF to indicate those are values you fill on your own.

Now the statement says "If on the Ground, go to SubAction FF. Else, go to SubAction FF." So now we managed to tell the game if it'll be used on the Ground or in the air, and directed them to different SubActions. However, we are still not done! You may encounter problems if you test it out as is (assuming you finished working on the SubActions). Even though we told the game if it'll be on the ground or in the air, we haven't told it how to act. So to do that, we will add edge slide events, and Air/Ground Events to both situations.

These events have a parameter to them which you can alter to your desire. I'll list them here. (Note: Values are in hexadecimal. Convert them if using BrawlBox.)

Edge Slide Event (08000100)
    1 = Can drop off from the edge of the stage
    2 = Can't drop off from the edge of the stage
    5 = Treated as if in the air
    Others = Unknown

Air/Ground Event (0E000100)
    0 = In the Air
    1 = Floating On the Ground
    6 = On the Ground
    A = No Control in the Air
    11 = Moved by the TransN Bone
    Others = Unknown

So we got the basics of how a Special works when executed. But what happens after the Special is done? We haven't told the game what it will do after. So at the top of the list, we will add Change Action, and Additional Requirement Events.

Again, you can change these to however you want. Change Action Events change the Action when the certain Requirement is met. You can add additional Requirements by adding the Additional Requirement Event under the Change Action Event. You may want to scroll down the list of Requirements to see what you can do. And refer to here for the list of Actions. (Copy Link Address and Paste it. I don't know why it leads to WiiHaxTutorial's Twitter...)

Alright great! But what were to happen if you used it in the air, and you landed on the ground? Or if you use it on the ground, but the ground you were on disappears for some reason? Unless you want to use Pass Frames, Let's add more Change Action Events!

From here on you can add more things to the special like additional Change Action Events. What you just made is a typical special that uses 2 SubActions. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what goes on in the Actions Tab.
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:21:38 AM by A Bloody Canadian » Logged

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »

really nice tut, easy read, great for semi-noobs (considering a noob who knows NOTHING at all)

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• Awards KCMM Veteran Super Saiyan Topic Hey! Listen! Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »

I simply made this because I've seen people asking for help on how to make a Special Attack. So seeing that there's no tutorial on it, I simply made one... lol.

Now I can tell these noobs to read this so I don't have to try to explain everything to those asking for help!

Battleon469
    Extreme Kitten

The Power.

• Awards Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »

thanks your a really helpful friend!

[/url]

Kagemaru
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Starstormer Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:35:13 AM »

Hm... very helpful.

I never considered the change in air/ground state part. But I had a grasp on normal specials like that. I just seem to be coming across strange issues that aren't normal. D:

Oh well.

The thing that pisses me off about Project: M the most is that Sheik's chain doesn't tether ledges anymore. WHY THE NERF? :/

If only hacking Brawl paid bills.

Yusif
    Expert Kitten

As I rise... you fall

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »

Great TUT, helped alot, thanks.

law_law
    Expert Kitten

• Awards >9000 Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »