Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 60
Author Topic: Stage Workshop  (Read 444341 times)
Eternal Yoshi
Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #315 on: January 10, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

I see... guess I underestimated the size of the main platform.

Stage lag is mainly caused by too much draw calls caused by a large # of facepoints. Most stages made before Christmas of 2013 lag because they were imported and made with a not optimal importer that inflated the facepoint count. Now we have a more optimal importer in the new Brawlbox so this is no longer an issue with stages anymore.

I would look at the NumFacepoints/Number of facepoints as a total instead of triangle count as facepoint count is a better gauge of how many draw calls the stage makes. I would aim for a Max of 40,000 Facepoints.
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:30:48 PM by Eternal Yoshi » Logged

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• Awards Former PMDT Tutorial Writer Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #316 on: January 10, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

I'm new to the whole Brawl modding scene... what is a "facepoint" and how do I measure them?

The width of the platform is about as wide as Battlefield's main platform.  I might open up those doors after some playtesting and seeing what feels better for the stage.  That's been a common thought throughout making this thing.

As this is my first custom stage for the game, I still don't have a fantastic idea of what is a good scale of things yet.

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #317 on: January 10, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »

I see.... well Brawlbox's new revision gives you the facepoint count of a model when you choose it.  

Facepoints are.... well it's hard to explain since it appears the definition isn't all that well expressed. I think that facepoints are the average of the vertices of the polygon/model.

If you're using Maya, check the Edges count as that's closest to the value Facepoints would be at.

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #318 on: January 10, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »

please finish it d_d

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #319 on: January 10, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »

Hello everyone, first post here.  I'm Llama Juice.

I started my first stage.  Trying to build a new environment from scratch, working on a Golden Sun map.

Picture that's a few days old, but shows some reference images of the game that I'm replicating.

Current state of the stage.

I'm trying to create the skybox based off of the original game's overworld geography as well.
    i am LOVING what i see atm... i LOVE the golden sun series!!

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #320 on: January 13, 2014, 02:59:07 AM »

I worked on UVs and started making textures for a few of the scenery objects.  At first I wasn't a fan of the purple/green color pallet, but now it's starting to grow on me.  I'm planning on redoing my purple brick texture with some green brick patterns throughout it as well to spruce things up a bit.  Not sure exactly what I'll do with it yet, but it'll be there.  Also, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to be knocking down the wall and making a tunnel through the center.

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #321 on: January 13, 2014, 03:01:15 AM »

idk where you've come from all of a sudden, but you're epic.
    i don't even know the stage and im in love with it...

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #322 on: January 13, 2014, 03:14:48 AM »

I come from the land of Halo 1 modding.  That game is stupid hard to model for.  Smash is easy (in comparison).  If you're interested, here's the last project I worked on.
    CMT's The Silent Cartographer: Evolved - Pool Encounter

I did all of the organic environment art in that scene.  That project was a collab between 20 or so people.  It's still in development, but I stepped away after working on it for a year to be able to pursue other projects.  This one is what's grabbing me right now.

The idea is to make something pretty enough to get a job out of.  I know I can do it, I just need to push it hard.  If brawl's engine doesn't allow me to push the art as far as I want it to go then I can always port it to a different engine after the fact.

Anyone else interested in seeing if we can make the prettiest stage that the Brawl community has made?  That's my goal.  Lets see if we can get there.  (I say we because I'll no doubt need some help with learning the Brawl engine.  I got the basics of model importing and assigning textures to it, but that's about all I know so far.  I don't know anything about shaders and the like.)

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #323 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:10 AM »

I worked on UVs and started making textures for a few of the scenery objects.  At first I wasn't a fan of the purple/green color pallet, but now it's starting to grow on me.  I'm planning on redoing my purple brick texture with some green brick patterns throughout it as well to spruce things up a bit.  Not sure exactly what I'll do with it yet, but it'll be there.  Also, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to be knocking down the wall and making a tunnel through the center.

glad to see more progress from ya Llama! so far it looks good, and also noticed u still have plenty of faces to use for other area's that might need it if its not smooth enough.

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #324 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »

I'm at roughly 33K triangles right now.  (Ignore the tricount in the images, they're wrong.  There's stuff out of frame that isn't being counted)  Originally I was planning on trying to keep it under 50K when i didn't know what my limits were.  I've been trying to cut corners and optimize meshes wherever I can, so right now I feel that I'm getting a lot more out of my polycount than what you'd expect of 33K.  I still do plan on adding a lot of decorative pieces to flesh it out more.  With this pass I just needed to put a dent in the objects that still needed textures. 

=================================

To do list:
    Textures:
    1: "Runway path"  I want some sort of fancy path that runs along the stage everywhere that the player can go.  Something to visually differentiate the playable space from non-playable space.  Currently that's what those colorful checker pattern pieces are, but I'm going to redo those entirely probably.
    2: Various trim pieces.  I have models running along the areas where purple sidebrick meets green floortile.  I need those textured.  Planning on using the same trim texture for the side of the small platforms on the far left and right.
    3: Stairs:  Right now I'm literally using the stairs from the Golden Sun game as my texture.  Obviously I need to make my own and make them look good.
    4: Door Archway: This archway will stay in the build, I don't know if the door in the middle of it will.
    5: Grass: Background texture assets.
    6: Mountain: Background texture assets.
    7: Babi lighthouse card: Background texture assets.
    8: Small town card: Background texture assets.
    9: Clouds: Background texture assets.
    10: Water: Background textre assets.
    11: Sky: Background texture assets.
    12: Dirt Path: Background Texture assets.  I want to mirror the ground map from the original Golden Sun game.  That includes all the weird little things in the background.

Models: (And textures that'll go with them)
    1: Fancy green brick  deco that I can just stab into the purple brick texture that already is in place.  The idea is to have some green bricks extruding from the purple bricks in some places for some visual flair.  This will probably be used to cap off any angled corners and in large flat boring purple brick spaces.
    2: Small plants: It would be neat to have some plants growing through the tiles/vines running up some walls.
    3: Babi Lighthouse: Simple model to be able to make a card out of it for the background.
    4: Small Town: Simple model to be able to make a card out of it for the background.

=================================

I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff that I'm missing from this list at the moment, but it's a good idea to have a list of what to work on so that I know where to go next and have a measurable way to say what I've completed and what I still have yet to do.

ForOhFor Error
    Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Pin Collector Starstormer Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #325 on: January 13, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »

For environmental texture resources, battlefield, castle siege, and a lot of the SSE stages have some nice stuff already in the game's art style. The stage looks amazing, and I wish you luck on it.

Maybe even have the lighthouse activated, using the Smash Ball's model, or maybe a modified subspace bomb blast model?

FC: 2191-7379-6272

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #326 on: January 13, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »

I know there are a lot of textures already created and exist within the game's stages, but I want to go through the full process of what to do with a stage and build my own texture repository.  Plus, since a lot of the remaining textures are background assets I should be fine with making some really quick and dirty low resolution stuff that'd work fine for a background asset.

I've been kicking around ideas of having the lighthouse activated, and what that would do to the gameplay.  In the game when the lighthouse gets activated it splits the building into four pieces.  I've considered trying to replicate that effect/animation but right now that's all after I'm done with the things on my list.  Again, it'd be custom made art to try to fit the art style of Golden Sun while still looking good in Brawl.

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #327 on: January 13, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »

Haven't played Golden Sun, but that map is super sexy. Glad to have you here., Llama.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

masamune
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #328 on: January 13, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

Haven't played Golden Sun, but that map is super sexy. Glad to have you here, Llama.
    This.

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #329 on: January 13, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »

Hello everyone, first post here.  I'm Llama Juice.

I started my first stage.  Trying to build a new environment from scratch, working on a Golden Sun map.

Picture that's a few days old, but shows some reference images of the game that I'm replicating.
    [...]

Current state of the stage.
    [...]

I'm trying to create the skybox based off of the original game's overworld geography as well.
    Looks awesome so far! I'm glad to see there is someone else making stages as ambitious as mine and with the same attention to detail. Cheesy
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:23:37 PM by Peardian » Logged

Click for my stuff:

Pages:  1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 60
    Print
    Jump to: