Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 60
Author Topic: Stage Workshop  (Read 444413 times)
LlamaJuice
Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• Awards Former PMDT Tutorial Writer Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #420 on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »

Are there older versions of BrawlBox that are more stable with lighting/fog?  Or is there some other tool I could use?

Riddler
    Some sort of Genius
    Special Access

Riddle me this!

• Awards Heart Container Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #421 on: February 03, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »

Llama do not read me wrong here: I think your stage looks absolutely beautiful.

But I think it looks small. When you see Mario and Samus on it like that, they seem like giants. Compare them to the staircases and the statues in the back... and consider in game when the characters walk around it.

If you could upsize it just a little it would look better, I think.

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #422 on: February 04, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »

But I think it looks small. When you see Mario and Samus on it like that, they seem like giants. Compare them to the staircases and the statues in the back... and consider in game when the characters walk around it.

If you could upsize it just a little it would look better, I think.
    It wouldn't be the only stage in which the fighters are larger-than-life in the stage's world. A short character like Ness would barely be able to fit into the door on the roof of the building in Fourside, Fox wouldn't be able to fit inside the Arwings that fly around Corneria, and Luigi would barely be able to squeeze his way up the stairs in Luigi's Mansion. What matters is that the proportions of the stage are good for playing on.

That said, I do think the stage looks a bit small. My main concern comes from watching Samus and Mario struggle on the small side ledges. It looks like they can barely fit on it together, so I can't imagine what having Bowser in the fray would do. Of course, upscaling it would also mean increasing the vertical distance between the ledges. A battle could still work with a ledge that narrow, so I'd prioritize keeping the jumps reasonable when scaling it up.

Click for my stuff:

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #423 on: February 05, 2014, 12:49:28 AM »

Mewtwo2000, how did you accomplish that day-night transition in Geurdo Valley?  I'm assuming your job of it is more clean than mine.

I have my one scn0 that has a 10,000 frame animation that loops.  Every 2,000 frames hitting the next main point of the day cycle.  (Morning, noon, evening, dusk, midnight.)

Also, in my stage there's a weird issue where when someone gets hit with a smash attack at high percentages it kills all of my UVs for a frame or two, does anyone know why this would be happening?  It's been happening before I got any of the transparency or lighting or anything to work too, so I don't think it was something I broke in a shader.

You can see it happening at the 2:25 point in my video when Samus dsmashes me and again at 2:30 when I fsmash her.  All of the meshes I imported do that at the same time, players aren't effected.  Does anyone have any idea as to why this might happen?

My Gerudo Valley uses a light that moves from right to left during day, changes color when in sunset, and goes dark blue on night, while moving back from left to right. The sky uses different textures, they change with clr0 animations that modify the transparency.

The UV issue is something I've only seen with BrawlBox 0.71. The standard shader is wrong for some reason, because all the TextureRef things in the shader are false. The first one (TextureRef0) needs to be true.

Are there older versions of BrawlBox that are more stable with lighting/fog?  Or is there some other tool I could use?

You can only use Brawlbox for this. The newer versions should be the more stable ones, but I recall having used older versions combined with the newer ones for specific things, like changing the number of frames or things like that.

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #424 on: February 05, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »

I'll try changing that and see if that helps.  Thanks man.

Yesterday I wanted to learn how to do stage animations, collision animations, texture animations, and water.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdaRsQU8G8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdaRsQU8G8</a>

So now the stage has a (very WIP) animation of the stage splitting apart and the ball rising up and "spinning" (The texture on the ball is animated, I didn't want to make the ball actually spin because it creates a weird effect along the left and right visible edges of the ball)  I also tried to create water for the stage, borrowing heavily from the Rayquaza lake water, and tried to add in "reflections" to the water.

Yesterday was a lot of engine related learning, and a lot of "How the heck do I split this thing apart and still make it look good?"  I think I did alright at that part Tongue

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #425 on: February 05, 2014, 08:53:34 AM »

when the stage splits, you should make the camera shake, as if there is a earthquake, and i say camera, because shaking the stage itself could maybe give weird stuff... xD

also, maybe you could make the stage assymetric when it's split up, like one side being higher than the other, or slightly tilted...

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #426 on: February 05, 2014, 09:22:47 AM »

That's a good idea... how do I make the camera shake?

i'll play with offsetting the tower's parts.  I hadn't even thought of that (Yay for working on this past 3 AM for five days in a row!).

Also, how do I trigger sound effects?  I need to have some sort of SFX when that animation is playing.

Akeno/Archer
    Middle Class Devil, Counter Guardian, Son of Sparda and
    Special Access

"You will not forget this Devil's power!" -Vergil

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic Favorite'd Heart Container

« Reply #427 on: February 05, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »

That's a good idea... how do I make the camera shake?

i'll play with offsetting the tower's parts.  I hadn't even thought of that (Yay for working on this past 3 AM for five days in a row!).

Also, how do I trigger sound effects?  I need to have some sort of SFX when that animation is playing.
    I don't know if that's possible with stage (I'd say no... But I'm not a stage modder, so not sure...)

"Atone for my sins? I don't have any sins to atone for nor have I forced such a meaningless concept on anyone." -Archer
    Best color, most stars, and least amount of power. The good life.
    Learning sucks, yeah, but it's from learning that you can eventually create masterpieces.

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #428 on: February 05, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »

SFX with stages aren't possible yet.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

LlamaJuice
    Expert Kitten

Be your own rockstar.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #429 on: February 05, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »

That makes me sad.

There isn't any hacky workaround?  Could I force spawn a hatched pokemon or something?  Hide it inside the stage, only care about it's sounds?  Or have we not found any way to trigger any sounds at all in a stage?

Akeno/Archer
    Middle Class Devil, Counter Guardian, Son of Sparda and
    Special Access

"You will not forget this Devil's power!" -Vergil

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic Favorite'd Heart Container

« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »

That makes me sad.

There isn't any hacky workaround?  Could I force spawn a hatched pokemon or something?  Hide it inside the stage, only care about it's sounds?  Or have we not found any way to trigger any sounds at all in a stage?
    Any sounnds at all... Unfortunately...

"Atone for my sins? I don't have any sins to atone for nor have I forced such a meaningless concept on anyone." -Archer
    Best color, most stars, and least amount of power. The good life.
    Learning sucks, yeah, but it's from learning that you can eventually create masterpieces.

Syvkal
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #431 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »

If the animations are on a loop, make a custom soundtrack for the stage with the effects incorporated into it? If they're not... No idea sorry =/

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #432 on: February 05, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »

If the animations are on a loop, make a custom soundtrack for the stage with the effects incorporated into it? If they're not... No idea sorry =/
    Thing is, people would need to not pause for it to loop properly.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Riddler
    Some sort of Genius
    Special Access

Riddle me this!

• Awards Heart Container Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #433 on: February 05, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »

It wouldn't be the only stage in which the fighters are larger-than-life in the stage's world. A short character like Ness would barely be able to fit into the door on the roof of the building in Fourside, Fox wouldn't be able to fit inside the Arwings that fly around Corneria, and Luigi would barely be able to squeeze his way up the stairs in Luigi's Mansion. What matters is that the proportions of the stage are good for playing on.

That said, I do think the stage looks a bit small. My main concern comes from watching Samus and Mario struggle on the small side ledges. It looks like they can barely fit on it together, so I can't imagine what having Bowser in the fray would do. Of course, upscaling it would also mean increasing the vertical distance between the ledges. A battle could still work with a ledge that narrow, so I'd prioritize keeping the jumps reasonable when scaling it up.
    Fourside was a Melee stage, they weren't as detailed and accurate, but most of the Brawl stages are. It doesn't even need to be much  bigger, just a little, imo.

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #434 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »

Thing is, people would need to not pause for it to loop properly.

Yup. See: The Summit and the song labeled Ice Climber.

Pages:  1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 60
    Print
    Jump to: