Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Idea for a Texture Review Site  (Read 10944 times)
Vyse
Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: July 03, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »

(I posted this a couple of months ago, but it's been mentioned recently, so I'm bringing it back to get feedback again.)

The sheer number of textures available can be rather overwhelming, especially for newcomers. Sifting through the seemingly endless lists of lackluster textures to find the gems often feels like a chore. I want to make this process at least a little easier.

What I have in mind is a texture review site. Just like one for games or gadgets or books, but we review textures. The team would be comprised of maybe five or six members: one from every more-or-less prominent hacking team (ESH, SS, and KC spring to mind), with the remaining spots available upon application for members of smaller teams and/or veteran forum members. I would also have guest reviewers - sometimes prominent texture hackers, sometimes randoms that few people have noticed. Note that the main focus of creating the reviewing team is not to form a group of the "best" but one that represents a variety of tastes and art styles.

The site would function as follows. At least twice a week, three or more reviewers would pick a texture from all of those available. (IMO, any texture posted for the public to see and use is also fair game for critique.) The texture would exemplify (or prove the need for -- negative reviews will be posted as well) at least one of several characteristics that makes a great texture: attention to detail, style, creativity, simplicity... I'll iron out the details if this idea gets enough positive feedback. Each reviewer would then write up a decent, thought-out critique, scoring the texture on each of the above-mentioned criteria as well as an overall score. Naturally, due to the nature of the reviewing team, different reviewers will give radically varying scores to the same texture. The beauty of it is that readers are presented with a variety of well-expressed opinions on what makes a texture good (or, to another person, not good).

"But Vyse," you say, "won't something like this just lead to bitterness and inflated egos?" Probably, but those would be due entirely to the immaturity of the people expressing them. The list of positives far outweighs that. First, the reviews shine a spotlight on textures that are truly outstanding. Second and more importantly, they encourage more work of the same quality -- the reviews effectively set a standard that doesn't really exist in the community now. I believe that, overall, reviews would strengthen and improve the texture hacking community as a whole. Finally, assuming the site becomes reputable, it could generate genuine competition for better scores. Competition is a good thing, driving people to make better textures. It also doesn't really exist in this community as of now.

Go ahead and post whatever feedback you have. If, after a few days, I feel like it's a good idea, I'll look into recruiting members and setting up a site.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:47:02 AM by Vyse » Logged

Hakumen
    Outcast.
    Heroic Kitten

Retribution!

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container Pin Collector Dedicated Hacker

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »

"I feel like it's a good idea."

(8:15:26 PM) Vyse: I hope you get raped by a lumberjack
    (8:18:16 PM) Vyse: >:|
    (8:21:52 PM) Vyse: Two of them.

asdfman
    Expert Kitten

Brock Obama '12!

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »

Seems like a good idea.

Thing is, are you just going to have teams (Like DasDonkey, ESH, etc) to review textures, and not other people? Someone like me, who has only made 3 textures, will I be able to review these too?

Shadow for mod!
    6/17/09 SHADOW BECOME A GLOBAL MOD! [censored] YEAH SEAKING!

Wanna see my textures? Click here! ---> http://kittycorp.freecp.net/index.php?topic=551.0

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »

Thing is, are you just going to have teams (Like DasDonkey, ESH, etc) to review textures, and not other people? Someone like me, who has only made 3 textures, will I be able to review these too?

"...with the remaining spots available upon application for members of smaller teams and/or veteran forum members."

Also considering having guest reviewers occasionally, which should cover that.

asdfman
    Expert Kitten

Brock Obama '12!

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »

Ah, sorry I skimmed through the post, I was making a StrapLoader Tongue

Shadow for mod!
    6/17/09 SHADOW BECOME A GLOBAL MOD! [censored] YEAH SEAKING!

Wanna see my textures? Click here! ---> http://kittycorp.freecp.net/index.php?topic=551.0

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »

Well, to be fair, the "guest reviewer" part isn't in there. I should add that.

Gazoinks
    Th-the cake, it's a lie!
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Helping Hand

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »

Sounds good to me.

Plasmakirby
    The ONLY Master of Plasma
    Supreme Kitten

The Power of Plasma Compells U

• Awards Fiery Topic Pin Collector Favorite'd Heart Container

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 02:12:48 PM »

good idea. for other members from smaller teams, i think people who have made many textures should be reviewers. it shows that they have some experience with textures, so they would know what a good texture is like, and what an "all-right" texture is. remember to be careful on who you would put on the team. (shadow and i know someone on smashers' inc who wouldn't be good for that) i hope someone puts this idea into play.

catgowoof
    Extreme Kitten

Meow.

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »

This sounds like a great idea, and I hope it doesn't die like it did last time.

Neon
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »

That would be awesome, theres a lot of textures out there, some bad, some good.

Someone model hack in Maka from Soul Eater (with Soul as the scythe) into Brawl when model hacks come out and you will become king of the world.

Jack H.
    Titles cost $5,000
    Supreme Kitten

Co-Founder of KC-MM

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Starstormer Pin Collector

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:05:22 PM »

Sounds remarkably similar to the "MeowMix Spotlight Review"... However, I like the idea a LOT, and agree with you completely on the idea that there are too many textures to "sift" through.

Your idea sounds like something that could easily work hand-in-hand with the newly released BrawlHacks Wiki.

-Jack H.

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »

More like your Spotlight thing is remarkably similar to this. I posted this way back in early May.

http://kittycorp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopicdiscussion&action=display&thread=1094

Jack H.
    Titles cost $5,000
    Supreme Kitten

Co-Founder of KC-MM

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Starstormer Pin Collector

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »

So I noticed! In any case - I would love to be involved in the project.

If a representative from MeowMix is selected, we would be more than happy to shut down the newly reformed "MeowMix Spotlight Review", and commit whole-heartedly to this new project.

-Jack H.

catgowoof
    Extreme Kitten

Meow.

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »

So, is something happening with this? I hope this does get off the ground.

dally
    Mega Kitten

Shadow Being

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 06:42:44 PM »

i would love this 2 work ^.^ There are alot of good textures out there, that no one knows about

Pages:  [1] 2 3
    Print
    Jump to: