Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the limitations of braw lhacking?  (Read 1466 times)
Foxfan12
Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »

Hey all. Sorry if this is on the wrong board, neither this one nor Help seemed exactly the right place, since I'm not looking for help with something specific per-se. I was actually wondering if anyone can tell me about the limitations of Brawl hacking. My experience with hacking is fairly limited at the moment, so I'm not exactly planning on jumping right into this - but I would like to someday.

Okay so here's the deal: All of the Brawl hacks I've seen all have something in common: They all play essentially like one Smash game or another. I really haven't seen anything that attempts to alter the engine. The most radical hack I think I've seen is the introduction of directional air-dodging. I know that custom movesets are possible and all - but every character in every hack controls exactly the way that a smash character should control. Directional Air-Dodging is interesting because it is the only hack I've seen that actually takes a mechanic that wasn't already present in Brawl code (although it runs off of the Melee engine - so maybe it was there and someone just activated it.) The fact that you can input a button combination that didn't do crap in Brawl  (air-dodge + a direction) and make it into something that does do something. Actually Lucario has something nifty in Project M where you can perform a new move by pressing A+B at the same time. No-one has had an A+B move in any version of a Smash game before. How can this be done?

Somewhere on this forum, I saw a conversation about how a lot of Brawl hacks try to add Melee functionality. Now, I love me some Melee, but I saw the person had a point. I have never seen a truly forward-thinking Brawl hack. Now, that's not bad, but I was wondering, has anyone tried to make a COMPLETELY NEW smash game? Project M is close - but there's really nothing (aside from the Lucario move) that didn't already exist in some form or another in Brawl or in any predecessors (movesets and stages notwithstanding). How much can you actually alter the ENGINE of the game?

Say I wanted to make it so that tapping the C-stick from within a shield would actually move my shield around as lightly tapping the control stick would, but without the danger of getting overzealous and rolling out of the shield? Can I alter the controls to do this?

Say I wanted to add a mechanic that would allow players in a team match to grab eachother, and with or without team damage turned on, one player could throw the other player a fixed distance and the thrown party suffers no hitstun and has all of their jumps? What if I wanted to add on to this so that the grabbed party could cancel the grab by pressing Z before they are thrown? Can I do that?

What about making it so that throws are smashable (not with items, but with other places?) Could I make it so that I can charge a throw so that if I manage to hit one player with another player it will do more damage/knockback when one player is hit by another than an uncharged throw?

Let's get away from controls for a minute. What about adding Menu options. I know menu edits have been done to some extent - but nothing too radical. Let's say I want to add an option that will allow me to adjust stage obstacles using a meter ala My Music? Moving a slider that directly alters how chaotic or subdued the more eccentric stages are? (For example, changing the frequency of Arwings on the Corneria stage and how often they fire lasers; or changing the rate at which Wario Ware minigames trigger) Can I do this?

Are things like these completely out of the realm of possibility? If they are right now, could a supremely skilled hacker one day make things like this a possibility, or are some things just unobtainabe? Where could I start looking if I wanted to make my own mods of this nature?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:12:01 PM by Foxfan12 » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: