Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Making Good Help Topics - N00Bs PLEASE READ!!! (Update: July, 28th 2014)  (Read 19552 times)
ABloodyCanadian
Ellipsis Abuser…
Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• Awards KCMM Veteran Super Saiyan Topic Hey! Listen! Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: June 03, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »

It just bothers me that help topics are too little in detail. Too little in fact that the people trying to help you can't do so. And that's what this topic is for. Thank you for taking your time to read this. I know some of these are more important than others, but you should consider these...

Before anything else, make sure you Read the FAQ! That way, you're not wasting time asking questions and making help topics when the answer is already there.

1). Be clear and descriptive! There are some cases where somebody asks for help, but the people trying to help them can't do so because they're too vague. It bothers me when the 1st Reply answers a question with another question. It will end up being this question fest until your fellow kittens understand the problem. This wastes time that would be better spent trying to help the person instead of interrogating them.

2). If you're going to link to certain hacks in the vault, use the BrawlVault link instead of copying and pasting the download link from the host site. Your call for help will look cleaner especially if you utilize the BBC Codes. But not only does it look neat, but it'll also inform your fellow kittens as to who made the hack, when it's made, any reports, and various other info that may help. It's less of a hassle to the helper.

- It has come to my attention that people have been using the search URL, where you search for the hack with advanced search, and then post that search link on the post. Well guess what, IT DOES NOT WORK!!! Again, use the proper BrawlVault Link.

3). This goes along the previous point, but... Make your posts neat. It'll be easier on the helper's eyes if you make nice, neat posts. I'm sure some of the somewhat messier posts don't look too bad, but if it comes to the point when the reader has to read over a couple sentences, then that's a problem. It could lead to confusion, which goes back to the 1st point about asking questions. I can understand if English isn't your mother tongue, but please try and make your posts neat, and readable.

4). Know your terms! People aren't gonna know what you mean if you simply say "This hack." or "This file." Exactly what are you referring to? A hack from BrawlVault? Your GCT File? Something else not Brawl Hacking related? This will lead into confusion, and more questions that shouldn't be asked. So think about what you're referring to before you post. Give us links if you have to.

5). Mention any potentially useful information! This goes along with the first point, but I think this should be worth mentioning. There are some cases where the person asking for help broke something, and is asking if there is a way to fix it. So ask yourself this: "What did you do to break it? Was there anything I did prior that made it broken?" That is an example of potentially useful information. Again, it would reduce the amount of questions asked. If you want people to help you, tell your fellow kittens everything that could help them help you!

Yes, I'm somewhat a neat freak when it comes to reading threads, which is why I tend to edit my posts if I see minor errors, but still, I guess what I'm trying to say is, the less questions asked, the better.

If your help topic has people asking you too many questions, it is considered a bad help topic!

On one final note, as a general rule, if nobody is responding to your help topic, assume nobody has a good answer to your problem. There's nothing wrong with bumping a topic (assuming you're not Necroposting for the wrong reasons), but please don't go out complaining if you don't get any responses.

If more things come up, I'll add them on.
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:55:59 PM by A Bloody Canadian » Logged

BabyLuigiOnFire
    Hyper Kitten

Number Not One

• Awards Hot Topic Favorite'd Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:06:34 PM »

Man, thanks for this topic. It's just annoying how some people's issues are just so vague that we can barely help them. I know all of this sounds like common sense already, but people need this.

This should be stickied or something.

Akeno/Archer
    Middle Class Devil, Counter Guardian, Son of Sparda and
    Special Access

"You will not forget this Devil's power!" -Vergil

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic Favorite'd Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:19:42 AM »

Man, thanks for this topic. It's just annoying how some people's issues are just so vague that we can barely help them. I know all of this sounds like common sense already, but people need this.

This should be stickied or something.
    I agree, this should be sticked.

"Atone for my sins? I don't have any sins to atone for nor have I forced such a meaningless concept on anyone." -Archer
    Best color, most stars, and least amount of power. The good life.
    Learning sucks, yeah, but it's from learning that you can eventually create masterpieces.

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:34:42 AM »

ye

Kevin38844
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:53:11 PM »

mmmmmmhmmmmmmm, right