Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 44 45 46 [47] 48 49
Author Topic: Project Mirage [The Project M-inspired recolor thread] (UPDATED: 27/02/2014)  (Read 230636 times)
UmbraVivens
Mega Kitten

where the moves at?

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #690 on: February 27, 2014, 03:08:53 AM »

OK guys, excellent work, i updated some of the characters i saw work around of
    throw me some advice if i missed something

also, dat sheik...it was about time to release it. Nice link and MK revamp too, they absolutely have a flashier, yet cold and misterious look, very good

and that Doctor Mario, it kinda bugs me out the fact he has blue shoes, i dunno xP, but everything else looks well

that Ike is looking nice, but there's a little something that i think he's missing

Popo needs to have a little darker tone in his parka, Nana is good enough

i'll be around here looking at stuff, and i'll try to help with a character as well...i should REALLY do it, as the OP i haven't really done/released more characters
    i'll give Wolf abother try soon

What exactly does this thread do?

Xenozoa425
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards >9000 Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Smash 3 Team

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #691 on: February 27, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »

You could also clean up C. Falcon's preview to just one image with no redundant text, it's pretty biased.

PK-Thunder
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #692 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:03 PM »

that Ike is looking nice, but there's a little something that i think he's missing.
    Popo needs to have a little darker tone in his parka, Nana is good enough.
    Thank you for the feedback.
    I think I know what must be done for Ike to be finished. I'll try my hand at it sooner or later.

Popo is a bit harder because I didn't want him to look like his default costume. Imma see if nana would look better as an alt.

PK-Thunder
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #693 on: March 06, 2014, 01:51:28 PM »

LOL guys, are we back at the "dying thread" status?

well alright then.
    Ike
    Roy

Also this
    I don't really have a reason to put this here other than it's cool and I'd like to share it with you guys.
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:41:18 PM by RedGamer » Logged

UmbraVivens
    Mega Kitten

where the moves at?

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #694 on: March 07, 2014, 02:27:49 AM »

Ike: i don't know, i just think it just doesn't fit properly with those colors, it doesn't feel either blue or purple-focused, i think that the red details break the balance with the cold colors, i can't really tell :c

Roy: to this point it looks good, everything...but...i feel like i would do something fancy for the boots, but that's just me, good work

Dat 2nd Ike: i love it xD, i love the combination of colors you used for that one, i'd use it in my build Cheesy

that's all, kudos~

Taiko
    Extreme Kitten

Taco++

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #695 on: March 07, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »

To be honest I quite like that Ike, much more than the other Mirage stuff. I think if the other things started mixing in a few other brighter colours like Ike, they'd be much better designed. The main things I see are that the purple seems like it's too saturated, but that's it. Maybe even shift the purple to a more indigo colour.

Roy: Same with Ike on the saturation. The armor looks fine though. Maybe make the pants beige? They seem to mix in with his boots a bit too much at the moment.
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:13:37 AM by Taiko » Logged

Xenozoa425
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #696 on: March 07, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »

I gotta agree with Taiko on several points points.

Ike: It's getting there, but I think some colors are put in places where they don't belong. The cape should be indigo/purple, not brown. The boots would look better brown than purple/indigo. The purple on the the tunic is definitely way too saturated and the hue needs to be shifted more towards indigo. Darker pants probably would've been a better choice than lighter ones, but not too dark.

Roy: One too many different colors on his main body. Try making the tunic and cape indigo, and the armor a dark and desaturated blue. The indigo stripe on his upper boot should probably be desaturated, it looks really weird like that. I would then take all the silver parts and make them have roughly the same level of brightness to them. For example, the trim on his armor is too dark, while the buckle on his boots are too bright. Also, don't use black/white 0% desaturation as a lazy cop out in general.

Second Ike: Pretty cool concept, but the palette seems way too simplified. I think some pale gold on the trimmings, light brown pants, and brown on the gloves, belts, armor pad, and boots might do the trick.

And I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but a lot of textures made here are focused too much on primary colors, instead of a balance of primary colors with secondary colors for highlights and details on things like pants, gloves, boots, armor, etc. Kirby, Samus, GnW, Pikachu, Snake, and Mario are some of the few characters that do not have too many options for different colors, and so you can get away with just 2 or 3 colors minimum. Other characters like Captain Falcon, the space animals, and Ganondorf have a lot of details on them, but it doesn't mean you should go crazy with colors. Mirage Captain Falcon is the best example of this, no idea why the creator hasn't realized this yet.
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:48:10 PM by Xenozoa425 » Logged

PK-Thunder
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #697 on: March 07, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »

My problem with Ike is that I was trying to balance brown with purple without much experience in browns vs purples. I know about blues vs purples and browns vs greens. I've also deemed that brown will generally go better with green (ie. mario's green costume, Shun's green ike recolor, Roy's green costume, etc.) and Shun advised me to go with Indigo, silver, black and white. So for this Ike, I'm just going to make it as grey as I can while keeping its brown characteristics. I've already desaturated everything brown by something close to 75% since I've started working on him, and I just desaturated again.
    Welp, here goes nothin
    Ike
    Seriously? three weeks? I've done recolors in less than an hour. Three weeks? Jeez...I've gone down a hard path claiming ike.

Xenozoa425
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #698 on: March 07, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »

Well you or I might not like to admit it, but Ike is apparently one of those characters that you just can't seem to nail right. I don't mind giving advice or constructive criticism, but I also don't like having to be a pain in the butt and tell you it doesn't look good every time you put up another preview.

The thing about brown is that it works well when the part you're trying to edit was brown to begin with in the first place. Take Link's boots for example. If you made them red on his Brawl red outfit, do you think it would look good or bad? Brown helps bring out a slight warm and naturally complimenting feeling that would otherwise be missing from most of these textures, which are primarily cold colors (blue, indigo, purple) with blacks, whites, and greys.

For me, it's not very hard for me to visualize his default outfit with a color scheme centered around the primary indigo color that most Mirage textures are using.

If I started from scratch on his default textures, here's what I'd do:

-Indigo/midnight blue for the tunic
    -Midnight blue/dark blue for the inner tunic, feet, and outer cape
    -Pale blue for the inner cape
    -Coffee for the gloves, boots, chest plate, and left shoulder plate
    -Silver with a very small blue tint for the metal parts on the gloves and boots, the buckle on his chest plate, and the metal tips of his feet
    -Coffee/Lion for the pants
    -Black for the headband and sash under his belt
    -Leave his hair, skin, and sword alone

And honestly, if you're feeling like you're struggling or can't get it right, maybe you should put it off for a while and try working on something else, then come back to it when you feel you have a good grasp of what needs to be done.

I might also decide to whip up a version of my Mirage Ike really quick later tonight or tomorrow.

And I went ahead and made this just for you guys.

Just keep in mind, I'm not saying browns are required or necessary, but they can help out a bit by giving the texture a slightly more natural look.
    « Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:17:01 PM by Xenozoa425 » Logged

PK-Thunder
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #699 on: March 08, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »

I'm not gonna let some fictional character with an imaginary outfit for a non canon mod beat me here! I'm gonna come up with a few different concepts and see what happens.

ShadowLuigi~NG~
    Lol Kitten

I make mods and mod accessories

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Panic! Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #700 on: March 09, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »

Charizard

Luigi

Xenozoa425
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #701 on: March 09, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »

Charizard: He looks weird like that, maybe try taking some inspiration from Crobat.

Luigi: I really like that first one as is, nice job. But if Mario has the same exact look, then you should probably switch the colors of his shirt and overalls.

Taiko
    Extreme Kitten

Taco++

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #702 on: March 09, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »

Building onto what Xeno said about Luigi, I would suggest making his shirt and overalls different shades of purple. In Brawl, you'll notice that most of Luigi's costumes use the same colour for the overall and shirt, so it might be a good idea to bring that over to this so that he looks different from Mario.

PK-Thunder
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #703 on: March 13, 2014, 10:48:29 AM »

Anybody remember this guy?

Mr. Wolf "I have a perfect boot and pants combination" O'donnell?

UmbraVivens
    Mega Kitten

where the moves at?

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #704 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »

Anybody remember this guy?

Mr. Wolf "I have a perfect boot and pants combination" O'donnell?

i still have him with the boots untouched c:
    if everyone else agrees with how those boots look, i can just revamp the rest of the body
    and/or someone can make an alternate version if they want

Pages:  1 ... 44 45 46 [47] 48 49
    Print
    Jump to: