Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Site Suggestion: Tutorial/FAQ Wiki site  (Read 4371 times)
bluenote22
Advanced Kitten

See You Space Cowboy.

View Profile Awards
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

So I've started making my own hacks for Brawl since the beginning of July now, and one thing I did notice is you guys have tons of helpful tutorials and such on this forum. Saying that another thing I did notice is that it can be difficult at times to find the information/guides that you may need, especially if you are an inexperienced hacker (like me.) Yes I know the site has a search function, but that's not always helpful, especially if you don't know exactly what to search for (terminology-wise, if that makes any sense.)

So here's my proposition: KC:MM Hacking Wiki. What it possibly could contain is:
- The tutorials from the forum, reorganized to make finding what you need easier (or links to the tutorials at the bare minimum)
- A terminology page; this would go over basic definitions and purposes of various brawl, modeling, et al terms. For example, instead of repeatedly getting questions about common5.pac or MiscData[80] or whatnot, a definition page could clearly explain what each thing was and/or what it does.
- a FAQ page; Instead of repeatedly getting questions like "My Samus hack froze when I did the final smash! How do I fix this?!?!?!," a FAQ could guide a noob to the correct tutorial without the need for them to post on the help forums.

Essentially what the wiki would accomplish is organization, which could really improve the Kitty Corp forum as a whole. What do you guys think?

Rose tint my world, keep me safe from the trouble and pain!

srs1992
Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »

I agree! I also think it should include some pics on the definition page if some terms are really hard to understand without pictures. I'm a visual learner and its difficult for me to understand some things without being able to see it.

Vyse
Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

We had a wiki. When people weren't neglecting it, they were abusing it.

Also, we have a thread for this.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:28:08 AM by Vyse » Logged

bluenote22
    Advanced Kitten

See You Space Cowboy.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »

Sorry about posting in the wrong place then.

How were they abusing it? Did it just get attacked by trolls?
    What you could do is allow the wiki to be edited by certain people only, that is administrators/moderators/really good hackers who have already contributed a lot of work to the vault. That could significantly reduce the amount of abuse on it.

Ok, I've said what I wanted to say. Feel free to lock this or whatever if you think the thread is out of place.

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »

We had a wiki. When people weren't neglecting it, they were abusing it.
    I love you for this, Vyse.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »

What you could do is allow the wiki to be edited by certain people only, that is administrators/moderators/really good hackers who have already contributed a lot of work to the vault.
    That defeats the purpose of it being a wiki and is actually more limited than what we have here on the forum, where anyone can post a tutorial.

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »

I love you for this, Vyse.
    ?

That defeats the purpose of it being a wiki and is actually more limited than what we have here on the forum, where anyone can post a tutorial.
    We could bring back the Wiki. Although, at this time, it'd be barely updated/used, considering how the modding community has decreased.

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »

?
    I think we all know what happened, but I'm not gonna get into detail, so I won't sidetrack the thread.

Anyways, ignore me.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

bluenote22
    Advanced Kitten

See You Space Cowboy.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

The wiki would be more for ease of access/quick reference source/source of essential information (if that makes sense.)

As for tutorial posting, consider this situation:
    User X could post a tutorial on the forum about making realistic textures in Paint.net. Moderators Y and Z read it and deem it as "essential/very helpful" and post the tutorial on the wiki.
    The advantage of the tutorial being on the wiki would be that other pages link to it... let's say Noob A is reading the page "Texture Hacking 101" and is directed to the new tutorial.

As for the wiki lacking traffic, you could make a rule that says new hacks/modders should consult the wiki before posting a help question on the forum, only posting a question if they can't find the answer on the wiki.

Haydn Shaw
    Advanced Kitten

Surprised Face

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »

Apologies if this is a dead topic. I don't actually know whether a tutorial/guide directory is in place at the moment, and if it isn't, then of course it should be implemented and made prominent to new users. It's obvious that renowned members of this community won't risk tarnishing their own tutorial submissions, and on a related point with the wiki, a good wiki always includes information from external sources (perhaps as so the wiki is not held liable for mis-information?), so why not link to people's tutorials from the wiki page, and just have a group of priviledged users edit the wiki pages for comprehensive and easy-to-access information?

I appreciate that this kind of stuff takes a lot of time and effort, but these changes may renew interest in the brawl community through the medium of people discovering a world beyond vanilla brawl, such as myself. Educating new people is a good compromise, or even a good solution, to your problems concerning a diminishing community.

That's just my two cents on the subject though. You guys have the final authority.
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:10:08 PM by Haydn Shaw » Logged

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: