Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using Dolphin to launch Brawl from RSBE01 folder  (Read 2093 times)
the_randomizer
Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « on: October 13, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »

So apparently, it's possible to have Dolphin load SSBB hacks (and the game) simply by directing the location of the extracted ISO folder, finding the right boot.dol and apploader.bin files. However, the main.dol needs to be modified by adding eight bytes. See, if this can work, it would mean testing my hacks would go a lot smoother and a lot quick and wouldn't have to compile the ISO each time I replace the files. Smoother testing means smoother and faster work on my end.  From what I gather, it's a Title ID mismatch and needs to be manually edited with a hex editor.

Open up main.dol, add eight bytes to the file size and then change them to

52 53 42 45 30 31 00 01 (either that or that last one ends in a 02)

No matter what I do, adding those causes the emulator to crash, editing the file is not working, but more on what this person said can be read here

https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?can=2&start=0&num=100&q=&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary&groupby=&sort=&id=6262

I'm curious to what you guys think, if you've heard of this before and what suggestions you guys might have to more efficacious testing methods.

SkullKidFTW
    Intermediate Kitten

SkullKidFTW

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »

Sounds interesting, so I gave this a go, and it worked, to my surprise....
    However, it crashes 2 minutes later, so, yeah.

"Friends are a nice thing to have... Heh, heh. Could you be my friend, too? Eh-hee-hee... You have the same smell as the fairy kid who taught me that song in the woods..."

-The Skull Kid

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:54:41 PM »

Sounds interesting, so I gave this a go, and it worked, to my surprise....
    However, it crashes 2 minutes later, so, yeah.

Yeah, just spoke to a Dolphin programmer and he told me that the feature isn't fully implemented into Dolphin, so that would certainly explain why it's so wonky, but if this could actually work, it would make testing hacks so much easier! Did you modify the main.dol and if so, could you tell me how you did it?

Yeah, the issue I submitted is here, https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=6732 looks like we need to wait till the Dolphin team fully implements the feature. Ugh.
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:59:00 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: