Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Give BrawlEx Characters SFX Tutorial  (Read 39590 times)
shock44
Mega Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Starstormer Dedicated Hacker Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « on: February 22, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »

Okay since people keep asking how to do this and it is hard to find my old post to this from the BrawlEx thread I'm posting it here as a complete tutorial.

What you'll need:

A BrawlEx character(s)

PSA or BrawlBox v0.67b:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uo44vuhvi6jddr8/ZAszFmyUSx
    Super Sawndz:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0m5ow8gobp0luo9/HOrLO4AAvM
    Brawlbox 0.71:
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35494

a smashbros_sound.brsar file

People mostly change the soundbank of the character to the soundbank of a boss. Although you could use something like the coin launcher I guess, but I'm not sure how well that would work out considering the coin launcher's sounds are probably not all long enough to hold most character sounds.

You'll need to first decide on which boss you are going to use. Then just start replacing that boss's sound effects with the ones from the hacked character's sfx. Simply open a smash bros brsar in super sawndz and insert the sawnd file for the character's sfx that you are going to use. Then open that same brsar file in BrawlBox 0.71 and export all the wave files from the sounds you replaced for that character. Then close BrawlBox. Go back to Super Sawndz and replace all of the boss character's sounds with the wave files you exported. MAKE SURE you pay CLOSE attention to the length of your sound file and the length of the previous boss wave file. If you have a wave file that is say, 2:36, do NOT put it over a boss wave that is 1:34! The boss wave file has to be either the same amount of time or longer than the one your are going to replace it with. If you put a long clip on a short boss clip it will exceed the file size.

Now to change the BrawlEx character's soundbank.
    To find out about Brawl's Boss SFX in PSA and sound banks, just open the BRSAR in BrawlBox 0.71

Then go under snd, NOT SND. The lower case one. then group then go to enemy. Then you'll find the Boss's soundbank numbers. They will be in decimal form so you need to convert them to hex. Duon's is 318 which is 13E in hex. Use the windows or macintosh calculator and change it to programmer to convert decimal to hex. Or if you are on Windows XP, change the format to scientific. Now open the BrawlEx character's FighterConfig file in the Brawl config utility program and scroll all the way down to the bottom and backspace the previous number in the sound bank slot and put in the new boss sound bank number.

Now comes the hard part.
    You now have to find out what the wave files are in PSA sound id form in order for the game to know which ones to call in which animation.
    To find their sound clips with PSA SFX ids: Just go under snd (still lower case) and then go to se, then go to boss and then go to Duon(or MasterHand or whoever you chose). Then to find the PSA SFX id just click on an audio number and look on the upper right box with data in it and scroll all the way down the list, the number at the bottom of the list with the word Misc. above it is the number you need for that SFX to be called in PSA. You of course, need to convert it to Hex for it to be called properly in the PSA program (either smashattacks or brawlbox0.67b). You can listen to the sound in Brawlbox and then look at the Misc number to find out the PSA sound id and then open the BrawlEx character's FitCharacter.pac file in PSA and go to the subactions tab. Click the down arrow by the word Main and choose SFX. Then look through every animation and find look for sounds that are being used for that character and match them with the character in the brsar that you replaced( for example if you are doing Shadow over Sonic you would go to the Sonic SFX in the brsar in Brawlbox and look at his wave ids and match them up with the TXT files here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/hikd7zwy1hrbmll/SFX+ID+Lists+all+Characters.rar

This file contains a list of all PSA SFX ids and tells you which wave ids they correspond to.
    After you figure out which sound is called first in the first animation of that character's PSA, then find that sound file in the Boss's sfx that you chose. Convert that Boss's wave id Misc number to hex and then go back to the PSA program and change the SFX id in there to the one you just found. Do this by clicking on the sound effect call code and clicking Modify and then go to sound effect and at the very end of the code you backspace what is there and type in the new number. You'll have to repeat this process for every sound effect in the PSA. Some sounds are called more than once, in fact most of them are called more than once so you should try to keep track of which sound corresponds to which boss sound. I keep track of this by typing it out in a Notepad file so I know which numbers to change to what. One last important thing, Some sounds I have found like to repeat themselves for some reason, it is a good idea to put in the Stop Sound Effect: (insert last used sound effect here) call code and have it activate after about 15 frames example:

Asynchronous Frames: 15 frames
    Stop Sound Effect: 0-115E

It shouldn't be hard to find these codes to call by just looking through the PSA and copying them. Just use it RIGHT AFTER the sound effect is called from the boss. If you don't do this then certain sounds may repeat forever when called and it is annoying to hear. It doesn't freeze the game though.

Also, the hackers at Project M did something that is necessary when doing this method. Since boss soundbanks don't have as many sounds as fighter characters do, for a lot of the sound effects that Roy uses, they had to change it to common sounds in brawl that matched up with Roy's. Which I guess correspond to the slashes and swipes and explosion, and fire that he does. There are a few sound effects that they put on Duon for Roy that they didn't pull from the common sfx. But there aren't that many. They used the voice clips of Roy for most of Duon's sfx and only used essential sfx that Roy needed in there. The rest is common sfx. You can find out which common sfx are which from here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=45572

One last thing I need to mention is that Project M was able to redirect the Crowd that cheers Roy's name when he is winning in the game to one of Duon's sounds. Where in a character's PSA file does it have the line of code that determines what sfx id is called for when he is winning a match and the crowd cheers? That would be really good information to know in order for people to give BrawlEx characters their own sfx fully.

Anyways, I hope this is very helpful and that this means people can start working on a project to get some BrawlEx characters to have their own sfx and maybe upload them on dropbox and post them? That would be nice. Happy hacking!!

I'd like to thank DSX8 for telling me where to find the info for the SFX PSA ids and soundbank ids. And Leon Exodio for the PSA SFX ids to Wave ids TXT lists.
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:44:40 AM by shock44 » Logged

secretchaos1
    Extreme Kitten

Well, I don't want to leave this blank

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Featured Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »

The crowd cheer could be a separate code, doesn't it usually occur when the player gets 2 or 3 ko's in quick succession? But anyway, it's good to have a simple sfx tutorial. At some point I'm probably going to use it to just incorporate a few voice clips for some clones characters cause I think I'd be too lazy to go through the psa and modify all of the sfx instances.

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »

The crowd cheer is part of the PSA file itself, not a separate code..

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

shock44
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Starstormer Dedicated Hacker Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »

The crowd cheer is part of the PSA file itself, not a separate code..
    What I meant was where is it called in the PSA so that I can change what sound is called.

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:22:08 PM »

I was referring that to secretchaos1.

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

secretchaos1
    Extreme Kitten

Well, I don't want to leave this blank

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Featured Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »

My bad, was just a thought. Shutting up now.

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »

Not a worry, good thing to think out of the box~
    It could probably be found with a bit of experimenting in a hex editor, but I won't be able to do that 'till my PC gets fixed up...

Dantarion
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Favorite'd Former PMDT Staff Helper

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:54:11 AM »

Use Tabuu to find the chants.

HaloFanODST
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! Good Citizen Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »

Why SmashBox?

Before someone attacks me:
    No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
    America is a continent and deal with it.
    I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

Don Jon Bravo
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Boo! Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »

has anyone experimented with the sfx swap method i posted on my sig...
    reason why i ask is because i only tried it on dolphin

i posted instructions on how to play with one sfx vs clone sfx, but never mind those
    i just want to see if it works

basically when u press the button combinations in the CSS, you change the name of the sfx folder
    so sfx will load from the sf2 folder

when u press it again, the name is changed back to sfx, so you would load sfx from the sfx folder

pretty simple.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:21:12 AM by Don Jon BravoEX » Logged

Doq
    Extreme Kitten

Coconut is best Neko.

• Awards Ceiling Cat

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »

has anyone experimented with the sfx swap method i posted on my sig...
    reason why i ask is because i only tried it on dolphin
    I had various issues with it, mostly it not loading alt SFX.

Don Jon Bravo
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »

I had various issues with it, mostly it not loading alt SFX.
    did u try both remotes?

seems to me like the game was not recognizing ur button combinations

forgot to say, it only works using the first controller
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:25:01 AM by Don Jon BravoEX » Logged

Rosetta-Hime
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Dedicated Hacker >9000 Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »

I'm using it for my Rosalina clone. It works sometimes. And when I wish to play as Peach without Rosaina, Peach uses Rosalina's.sawnd. Other than those glitches, It works fine.

Don Jon Bravo
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »

I'm using it for my Rosalina clone. It works sometimes. And when I wish to play as Peach without Rosaina, Peach uses Rosalina's.sawnd. Other than those glitches, It works fine.
    hmm
    u may need to reset the code by pressing the buttons again to deactivate the code
    what controller were u using anyhow?

Rosetta-Hime
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Dedicated Hacker >9000 Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Gamecube controller.

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: