Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 55
Author Topic: BrawlVault: Feedback and Updates  (Read 542906 times)
Vyse
Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: March 04, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

If you have any suggestions for changes to BrawlVault, or if you have any bugs to report, please post them here. If you're reporting a bug, please include a screencap, if possible, along with a description of your actions leading up to the error and which browser you are using.

Posts about incorrect or rule-infringing reports no longer go here. For details on how to bring such reports to the attention of the BrawlVault staff, please see "Challenging Reports" in the "Reporting" section of the features list below.

Thanks to SJS for providing all of the new graphics.

Quick list of what's new:
    • Actions that were once scattered about as buttons (reporting, adding portraits, etc.) are now located in the Actions dropdown
    • Entries can now have more than one report active at once. To see all reports on an entry, click the under the type line (not visible if you don't own the entry and there are no active reports on it)
    • Instead of posting here about invalid or rule-breaking reports, you can let the BV staff know about the report by clicking the to the right of the report in question
    • To view images users have added to a character or stage mod, click the under the type line. This replaces the "Show CSPs/SSPs" button in old BV
    • BV now supports adding multiple types of images (e.g. battle portraits, stage names) instead of just selection portraits
    • The rest of the changes are self-evident

Features
    For brevity, I'll be referring to entries you submitted or on which you are listed as a collaborator as "entries you own."

Searching
    You can perform simple searches of the Vault using the navigation bar at the top of each screen. For example, click "Characters," then Mario's icon to view all Mario mods.

To perform more precise searches, click "Search" in the navigation bar. Here, you can specify exactly what you're looking for.

In the "Entry Information" section, the "Exact" checkboxes next to each field will make the search match the contents of that field exactly. For example, entering "Final Fantasy" in the "Audio Source" box without checking "Exact" will return all audio mods whose sources are any game in the Final Fantasy series.

When you select a type of entry on the search screen, depending on the type chosen, the list of subtypes may have "And" and "Or" radios next to it. For more information on this, click the on the screen.

While viewing the search results, you can change pages by clicking the numbers at the top or bottom of the page. You can change the sort order by using one of the three buttons (Alphabetical, Newly Added, or Downloads). You can limit the results to more recent entries using the dropdown to the right of the sorting options.

Safe Search

Toggle Safe Search using the button at the top of every BV screen. When this is on, all of your search results are limited to approved entries only.

Viewing Entries
    • The name of the entry is the download link.
    • You can click on any owner's name to view that user's Vault.
    • The Actions dropdown contains all the actions you are allowed to perform related to that entry, e.g. reporting, adding an image, deleting, etc. This dropdown is not available to guests, and its contents will vary depending on your rights, what the owner(s) allow, etc. Details on each of these actions are in their respective sections below.
    • Icon explanations:
      • - Wi-fi safe
      • - Not wi-fi safe
      • - Wi-fi effects unknown
      • - Shows reports
      • - Shows images
      • - Direct link to the entry
      • - PM creator
      • - View creator's RSS feed
      • - View creator's forum profile

Submitting
    The submission process is largely unchanged from the previous version of BV, but I'll go into detail here for anyone unfamiliar with the process.

To submit to BrawlVault, click this button, available in the navigation bar on any screen of BV:

Simply fill out the form on that screen with all the information about your mod and click Submit at the bottom to add your mod to the Vault. If your submission is successful, you will be taken directly to the entry on the Vault, and you can immediately start sharing the link wherever you want. Note that until your entry is approved by the Staff, it will be hidden from searches for any users who have Safe Search active, and it will be marked with this icon:

Note that you can lose your submission rights if you make too many submissions that violate the BrawlVault rules.

Some details about specific fields:
    • Collaborated: Enter the names of other members to share download count and management rights for the entry with those members. Multiple names should be separated by commas. For more details, click the "?" icon on the submit screen.
    • Credit: This is a free-form text box. You can enter whatever you like here; it has no special properties. Use this to credit anyone, including those who are not members of our community, with assistance, inspiration, or providing a basis for your mod. If you have a lot of people to credit, it may be better to include the credit in a text file in the download. If you are submitting a pack, a text file crediting the creators of all included mods must be in the download.
    • Allow others to add images to this entry: This appears only for character and stage mods. Leave this box checked if you want to allow any member of the community to submit supplementary images (selection portraits, names, etc.) to use with your mod. Someone who owns the entry will have to approve any images added this way before they are visible to the public. If unchecked, entry owners will still be able to add images freely.

For more information, see "Images" in the feature list.
    • Does this entry desync wifi: As it says on the page, this lets users know if your entry causes issues online (not that this matters after May 20, 2014) if all participants don't have it. If your entry uses custom animations, bonesets, etc., then it will cause a desync. Audio and SFX mods will not. If you're not sure, simply select "Unknown."
    • Info Text: Enter any extra information here. Link to your thread on the board if you have one, describe the source or inspiration behind the mod, anything you want.
    • Previews: For more information on submitting proper previews for your entries, see the BrawlVault rules. Basically, you need up to three pictures or videos for anything except Audio or SFX, an easily accessible audio file or video for Audio, and a video for SFX.

Editing
    To edit an entry, simply select "Edit" from that entry's Actions dropdown. You may edit only entries that you own.

The edit page is identical to the submission page, with one addition: if the entry has any active reports on it, you will see something like the following:

Editing an entry no longer automatically clears its reports. In order to resolve reports on your entry, you must check their boxes before submitting your changes.

When you submit your changes, a PM will be sent to all owners of the entry, excluding yourself, with details of what you changed. This information will also be visible in the entry's log.

Deleting
    To delete an entry you own, select "Delete" from the Actions dropdown. If you accidentally delete something, post here to request the BrawlVault staff to restore it.

Viewing Logs
    You can view the history log for any item you own by selecting "View Log" from the Actions dropdown. This log includes edits, deletions, reports, images added, and several other actions.

Reporting
    Reporting an Entry

If you notice something wrong with an entry -- broken download, broken previews, improper credit, etc. -- you can let the owner(s) know about the issue by reporting it. To do this, select "Report" from the entry's Actions dropdown.

Note that making multiple reports that violate the BrawlVault rules can cost you your reporting rights.

Describe the issue in the window that appears, taking care to not report an issue that's already been reported, click "Submit Report," and you're done.

Viewing Reports
    To view reports on an entry, click the under the entry's type line. If you don't own the entry, this icon will be visible only when the entry has active reports.

Removing a Report

If you own an entry, you can resolve reports on it by editing it. See "Editing" for more information. If you don't own the entry, you can challenge the report, and the Staff will resolve it.

Challenging a Report

You should challenge a report if you see an invalid one on an entry you don't own or if you see one that violates the BrawlVault rules, even if you own the entry and can resolve the report yourself.

To challenge a report, click the icon to the right of the report in question. The staff will be alerted and will take any actions they deem necessary. No further action is required from you.

Images
    This is a revamp of the portrait functionality of the previous BrawlVault. It has been expanded to include any kind of interface change that can be made, including names, stock icons, etc.

You can add images to Character and Stage mods only.

Adding Images
    To add an image, select "Add Image" from the Actions dropdown. If you don't own the entry and the owners have disallowed adding images, this action will not be available.

In the window that appears, select what type of image you're adding, paste a direct link (i.e. one that ends with an image extension, e.g. .gif or .png) to the image, and enter the image creator's name, if it's not you. Then click "Submit." If you're adding an image to one of your entries, the image will be approved automatically. Otherwise, the owner(s) will be alerted via PM that you've added the image, and they must approve it before it becomes visible to the public.

Viewing Images
    To view the images on an entry, click the icon under the entry's type line. You can use the filter dropdown at the top of the window to show only images of the chosen type.

Approving Images
    When viewing images for entries you own, unapproved images will have a icon under them. You can click this to approve the image and make it visible to the public.

Deleting Images
    When viewing images for entries you own or images you submitted, you will see a icon under the image. You can click this to delete the image.

RSS Feed
    RSS feeds are available for the Vault as a whole and for any specific user.

To view and subscribe to the Vault feed, click the button at the top of the Vault.

To view a user's feed, click the icon under the type line of any of that user's entries, or follow the link on that user's profile.

Dynamic Signatures
    BrawlVault can generate an image for you to use as a signature on this or any other forum. Use one of several provided images as a base or upload your own. Use various keywords to display your most recent mod, your total download count, and several other statistics, all of which will update in real time.

To get started, click the button at the top of the Vault.
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:51:23 PM by Vyse » Logged

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »

Suggestions:

What about changing the currently useless 'most popular artists' with a new one? Something that shows who's had the most downloads in the last month or something like that. It's not that's much more useful, but at least it's more useful than seeing which people have 2-3 items with thousands of downloads and no other items apart from those.

Also, either revert the 10 most recent list to not list music, or make it somehow filter what kind of mods do you want to see in your 10 most recent display.
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:26:42 AM by Mewtwo2000 » Logged

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:29:24 AM »

Also, either revert the 10 most recent list to not list music
    Whoops. Forgot that. Done now.

Miacis
    Ex-admin
    Special Access

• Awards Ceiling Cat 128-bit Core Gamer Featured 64-bit Core Gamer

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »

"Give Feedback" links to the old thread.  Tongue

Round and round the signature goes ~
    ~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »

"Give Feedback" links to the old thread.  Tongue

Fixed that.

I've noticed a bug myself: direct links to entries, e.g. http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=36431, don't work. Even though they work in the test version. Very curious.

xX_TheTerror_Xx
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »

Is it me or it the site really slow now?

Mudkip97
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »

The site is extremely slow and laggy and when I click on the recently uploaded content on Brawl vault it doesn't send me to the mod it just sends me to the menu.  
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:29:00 PM by Mudkip97 » Logged

TokoyamiTheDark
    Holy Kitten

常闇 - Everlasting Darkness

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen Hey! Listen! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »

Very slow for me too, and I cannot access the Vault at all...

I lost EVERYTHING from my DropBox storage due to the server crashing, so I no longer have my hacks on the Vault... Sorry! Sad

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »

OK, direct links to entries work now.

As for the slowness, I'm aware, as it's pretty obvious. But I'm going to give it some time. It might be a coincidence, or the server might just need time to adjust. I don't want to be hasty and make unnecessary changes.

Edit: The slowdown seems to be gone for me.
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:20:32 AM by Vyse » Logged

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:23:39 AM »

Now only SFX hacks seem to be shown in the last 10 list.

Also, there's now no way to expand the lists? There was something before that allowed the lists to display an extended list, not just 10.

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

Ryztiq
    Pixel Bender
    Brawl Vault Staff

Graphics Kid

• Awards Former PMDT Hot Topic Star Hacker Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 09:25:36 AM »

When editing a post I can't seem to find the option to change the image/thumbnail, it just ends after "download link"

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »

Also, there's now no way to expand the lists? There was something before that allowed the lists to display an extended list, not just 10.
    It's the "See more stats" link, just like it always was.

When editing a post I can't seem to find the option to change the image/thumbnail, it just ends after "download link"
    It's because of the slowdown, which apparently isn't gone yet. The request to the server is timing out, so it's not loading the details specific to whichever type (character, etc.) you've chosen. Keep trying.

LuisBrawl
    Expert Kitten

Just Your Usual, Brawl Hacking Pokemon Trainer

• Awards PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Pro Gamer Ceiling Cat

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »

Update

Is it just me or does every youtube preview not seem to work(And if it is, pay me no mind Cheesy

Works Now, looks awsome

And also, thinking of the request of mewtoo2000, maybe you could change the top ten artists and change it for requests if posible.

Sorry about that, kind of new here.

Anyway looks great, feels great, good job Smiley
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:37:05 PM by LuisBrawl » Logged

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:31:22 AM »

Haven't had any problems yet, but I wanted to say how clean and fresh this Vault looks. Love that there's a section for custom characters (like for BrawlEx? Project: M Mewtwo hacks?)

Also, props to SJ for the sexy icons.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »

Is it just me or does every youtube preview not seem to work(And if it is, pay me no mind Cheesy)
    Haven't seen any issues with that.

And also, thinking of the request of mewtoo2000, maybe you could change the top ten artists and change it for requests if posible.
    Do you mean displaying the top ten requests or something? We don't track that in any way.

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 55
    Print
    Jump to: