Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [Solved] Gecko OS replacement code not working (PAL)  (Read 6676 times)
Duke Serkol
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »

I'm trying to get started with using new textures in Brawl (basic stuff still). I've followed the Noob Tutorial and everything seemed to go fine, Homebrew Channel works with no problem and it boots Gecko OS (which in turn, boots Brawl).

However, the character's texture was not replaced, so I suspect I may have done something wrong in preparing the codes.

I would appreaciate if someone could read through the steps I followed, as I will now describe them, and tell me if I've gone wrong somewhere.

I did everything exactly as instructed up to point 2A6 (downloading the code manager for Gecko OS)

I opened code manager, entered the PAL id (RSBP01) in the respective field, wrote "Super Smash Bros Brawl (PAL)" as game name.

For the actual code, I used what I found on this page:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=48546.0

I clicked the "Add a code/comment/category" button in the bottom left, and named it "File Replacement v3.5.5", selected it from the column on the left where it appeared and in the field for the actual code contents I copied and pasted what I found on that page.

I did not type anything in the code comment field as the guide said nothing of it.

I hit the "store modifications" button and noticed that an unmarked check box appeared next to the code's name in the left field. The guide said nothing of it, but I assumed I was supposed to check it so I did.
Finally I saved the code as a txt file and clicked "export to GCT" selecting the proper drive and storing as instructed.

I actually repeated this paragraph (clicking on store modifications, export to GCT as well as "store name/id") several times, just to be sure.

For my test, I used this texture http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=7657

I extracted the files from the zip putting them in the SD card in the following directory:

private\wii\app\RSBP01\pf\Fighter\mario

I only relabeled the files from 05 (or 005) to 02 (or 002) so they would appear in place of green Mario, otherwise I did nothing more than unzip them there.

I then put the SD card into my Wii, loaded Gecko OS through the Homebrew channel and Brawl through Gecko... but Mario's textures were unaltered.

So, can anybody tell me if I did something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:02:37 PM by Duke Serkol » Logged

Makarew
Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic RAGE!! Ceiling Cat

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »

Is your .gct file in /codes/ ?

Duke Serkol
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »

Yes, a 2kb file named RSBP01.gct.

Ah, something I forgot to mention... while I was testing Brawl with Gecko OS, the Wii's blue light was constantly going on and off. I assumed it was just a way to remind me that I was not playing a game under normal conditions (I mean, when I pressed the home button the pointer wouldn't show up, presumably to prevent me from returning to the system menu that way), but that was just a guess, for all I know it could have been flashing to notify that something wasn't working properly?

But if it is normal for it to flash... is it possible to set it so that it doesn't do it? It's rather distracting.
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:11:42 PM by Duke Serkol » Logged

Makarew
    Extreme Kitten

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »

Is your sd card more than 2 gigs, or sdhc? The light usually means that your wii got a message. I've never had gecko do that. Riivolution is the only thing that should do that.

Doq
    Extreme Kitten

Coconut is best Neko.

• Awards Ceiling Cat

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »

You seem to be using a file patch code fork, as this doesn't have the same functionality as the original FPC 3.5.1. Let me go grab you the original PAL FPC and you can try that.

And to answer, yes, using that code causes your disc light to turn on.

edit: Use the first code on this page. http://smashboards.com/threads/pal-present-file-patch-code-3-5-1-pal.306939/

Hope this helps you any.
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:57:50 PM by Doqtor Kirby » Logged

Duke Serkol
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »

Is your sd card more than 2 gigs, or sdhc?

It is, both of those. I'm aware that it can cause problems with some programs, but is Gecko one of these? The Noob tutorial made no mention of it. There is a list of cards compatible with the Homebrew Channel, many far bigger than 2GBs, but sadly mine (a Samsung) is not contemplated in that list.
    I can say though that the card works with the Homebrew Channel without any problems.

You seem to be using a file patch code fork, as this doesn't have the same functionality as the original FPC 3.5.1. Let me go grab you the original PAL FPC and you can try that.

And to answer, yes, using that code causes your disc light to turn on.

edit: Use the first code on this page. http://smashboards.com/threads/pal-present-file-patch-code-3-5-1-pal.306939/

Hope this helps you any.

Tried it, sadly it made no difference... except the light didn't start flashing this time.

That page raises another question though, if you don't mine me asking, it says at the end of the post "I know, I know there is Riivo but Riivo doesn't work on burned DVD's and USB Loaders.
    Now it's possible to use it."
    I was under the impression Gecko did not work with "back ups" as that's exactly what it says in the wiki. But if that's not the case, I could very easily try the NTSC version which I'm told has a lot more codes for functions like adding new stages without replacing the old ones (which is awesome).

Anyway, thanks for the help guys Smiley

Doq
    Extreme Kitten

Coconut is best Neko.

• Awards Ceiling Cat

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »

It is, both of those. I'm aware that it can cause problems with some programs, but is Gecko one of these? The Noob tutorial made no mention of it. There is a list of cards compatible with the Homebrew Channel, many far bigger than 2GBs, but sadly mine (a Samsung) is not contemplated in that list.
    I can say though that the card works with the Homebrew Channel without any problems.
    Tried it, sadly it made no difference... except the light didn't start flashing this time.

That page raises another question though, if you don't mine me asking, it says at the end of the post "I know, I know there is Riivo but Riivo doesn't work on burned DVD's and USB Loaders.
    Now it's possible to use it."
    I was under the impression Gecko did not work with "back ups" as that's exactly what it says in the wiki. But if that's not the case, I could very easily try the NTSC version which I'm told has a lot more codes for functions like adding new stages without replacing the old ones (which is awesome).

Anyway, thanks for the help guys Smiley

Hm. Only thing I can think of now is:
    > Check to see if SD cheats is on in Gecko options.
    > On this site, in Resources, there should be a PAL FPC. It shouldn't be different than the one on SB, but check to make sure.
    > I know this may be stupid, but try renaming the folder to RSBE. I'm pretty sure this won't work, but it's worth a shot.

Makarew
    Extreme Kitten

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

You'll need a different card. Even if it works with the homebrew channel, gecko doesn't support cards larger than 2 gigs.

Duke Serkol
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »

I know this may be stupid, but try renaming the folder to RSBE. I'm pretty sure this won't work, but it's worth a shot.
    You'll need a different card. Even if it works with the homebrew channel, gecko doesn't support cards larger than 2 gigs.
    I had to do both of these (took me a few days as I had to procure another SD card) but finally the in-game texture changed (yes!)

Irritatingly enough though, the character portrait didn't change... are the names InfFace.002.png and MenSelchrFaceB.002.png correct? or has there been some mishap?

Or maybe it's a limitation of the PAL code for Gecko?

Anyway, thank you so much for your help guys, this is awesome! Cheesy

Carnage
    God Kitten

(retired)

• Awards Constructive Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:54:30 AM »

I had to do both of these (took me a few days as I had to procure another SD card) but finally the in-game texture changed (yes!)

Irritatingly enough though, the character portrait didn't change... are the names InfFace.002.png and MenSelchrFaceB.002.png correct? or has there been some mishap?

Or maybe it's a limitation of the PAL code for Gecko?

Anyway, thank you so much for your help guys, this is awesome! Cheesy
    they souldnt be pngs at all to replace portraits you need to open the sc_selcharacter.pac on the bb program and then replace the pictures on the correct place the name of the pngs dont really matter but where do you repace them does.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: