Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: How to achieve the cBliss effect in BrawlEx  (Read 34854 times)
ShinF
Supreme Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer Pin Collector Hot Topic Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »

As many of you no doubt know, cBliss as a code is not compatible with BrawlEx. There is, however, a way to achieve the same effect using the Fighter and CSSSlot Config files.

If you want to simply have every default character with 10 costumes, you can download these stock files I created and copy them to their proper places in the BrawlEx directory. If you want to have a custom number of costumes or different numbers for each character, or have them ordered differently, the tutorial below will explain how to do so.

You'll need a hex editor in order to edit the CSSSlot Config files in addition to the standard BrawlEx files and Config Utility.

First, you should use the BrawlEx Config Utility to open the character's Fighter Config. Check all of the costumes you want used for the character. Do not check or uncheck ?A or ?B, as we don't know what those actually do as of yet. Also keep in mind that checking more than ten costumes (usually 0 - 9) will cause the last one or two costume's cosmetics to overlap with the next character.

There are a few characters that can have more than 10 without conflicting cosmetics, however, because the slot after theirs is empty or dummied out. These characters are Ganondorf, ROB, Wolf, Toon Link, and Sonic.

Save it and close.

Next, open up the character's CSSSlot Config file. The last two lines here are what we're going to be working with. Each set of two bits (a bit is composed of two characters) determines a costume. So a set of four numbers is a single costume, here. At the end of the costumes is the bit 0C, which indicates the end of the costume set.

Now, the two bits for the costumes work like this: The first bit indicates the Costume Color and is used to indicate Team Colors. 00 Indicates Red Team, 01 indicates Blue Team, and 03 is Green Team. Any other number for the first bit will not affect them.

The second bit determines the costume number that is loaded. 00 will load FitFighter00, 01 will load FitFighter01, and so on. So, a set of bits reading as 0001 would indicate a Red Team costume which will load costume 01.

The order that you place the costumes in the file will determine the order they scroll through. So the first costume you put in the file (typically the default) will correspond to the first portrait in your sc_selcharacter or common5. The second costume you type will correspond to your second, etc.

One more thing I should mention is that the game will not give more than one set of Team Colors to any given character, as each one is hard-coded to only have one set. It will read the first set, but won't acknowledge the second as Team Colors. The exception is Wario, who has a very specific order to his Team Colors. In my experience, he will freeze when scrolling through his Team Battle portraits unless his Team Colors are arranged as Red -> Green -> Blue -> Red -> Blue -> Green.

When you've arranged your costumes to your satisfaction, save. All that's left to do now is to add the portraits for your new costumes. Make sure you include CSPs, BPs and RSPs. If you intend to use the characters in any single-player modes, you must also add Stock Icons.

And that's it! I'll be glad to answer any questions.
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:55:44 PM by ShinF » Logged

Want cBliss on your BrawlEx Build? Check out this tutorial!

Don Jon Bravo
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Boo! Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »

do you really need BP's and RSP's? as well as stock icons
    is there a way for the game to load default ones?

also
    tip

Sonic, Ganon, Fox, and like three or two more characters can have up to 12 characters
    i cant remember exactly which ones but it has to do with their CSP setup inside brawlbox

ShinF
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »

do you really need BP's and RSP's? as well as stock icons
    is there a way for the game to load default ones?

also
    tip

Sonic, Ganon, Fox, and like three or two more characters can have up to 12 characters
    i cant remember exactly which ones but it has to do with their CSP setup inside brawlbox

As far as I know, BPs and RSPs are necessary. Luckliy, RSPs are as simple as exporting the CSP brres without compression and just naming it properly. BPs are tedious, but the game freezes without them and I'm not aware of a way to make it load a single one (though if I find one, I'll edit it in). You could perhaps just copy and rename the default ones so you don't have to replace the portrait in each one, though.

You don't need Stock Icons unless you intend to use them in Classic or All-Star mode, because those are the modes where they actually show up on the CSS and it'll freeze on hovering over any costume without stocks. They're not a problem in the Multiplayer modes, though.

You can use libertyernie's Costume Manager to assist in changing / adding them, as well. It helps greatly, and it works with BrawlEx though only for the default characters right now, I believe. He's updating it to add support for Clone characters as well.

Yeah, I remember that some can have more because the character slot after theirs is empty. I'll look up which ones those are and edit them into it in a bit.

Edit: Okay, looking at the characters in BrawlBox, it seems to be Ganondorf, Wolf, ROB, Toon Link and Sonic.
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:53:37 PM by ShinF » Logged

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »

Your link is messed up.

It should be https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hds6bct3eht2w78/s7uZ4t6orM

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

ShinF
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

Your link is messed up.

It should be https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hds6bct3eht2w78/s7uZ4t6orM

Ah, I think I added quotation marks to it without realizing. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sammi Husky
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker >9000 King for a Day

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »

NICE! im gonna bookmark this page. great tut Tongue even after doing this a few times, this tut has helped me understand it alot better

KidCraft24
    Mega Kitten

Brawl DX Creator

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »

What if we simply wanted to change which color is loaded as a team color? For example i have mewtwo over lucario, but because lucario's default if set to blue team so it mewtwo's when he has a blue costume already. Can i simply change the CSSSlot data to use Mewtwo's actual blue costume as his blue team costuem instead of his default like lucarios?

Click The Logo To Find Out More
    Click the Link To Download Now
    https://www.mediafire.com/?vpg7cn3ohvgh513 Download for SD cards 2 GigaBytes or less
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/3b9ax3zb97xw1r7 Download for SDHC Users

ShinF
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:23:46 PM »

What if we simply wanted to change which color is loaded as a team color? For example i have mewtwo over lucario, but because lucario's default if set to blue team so it mewtwo's when he has a blue costume already. Can i simply change the CSSSlot data to use Mewtwo's actual blue costume as his blue team costuem instead of his default like lucarios?

Absolutely. You would just switch the team color bit for the costumes you want. For Lucario, I believe there isn't a FitLucario03, right? So you could either add one using the method in the tut, or you could use a different costume number like 04 or 05. Whichever one you want to make Blue Team, just change its first bit to 01. You also need to make sure the default costume is no longer 01, so you could change that to a non-team color like 02.

KidCraft24
    Mega Kitten

Brawl DX Creator

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »

Thanks! I managed to get it working right. This way here when i upload the newest version of Brawl DX either later tonight or tomorrow people can now play in teams and now wonder why mewtwo didn't have a blue team costume anymore. Smiley

Click The Logo To Find Out More
    Click the Link To Download Now
    https://www.mediafire.com/?vpg7cn3ohvgh513 Download for SD cards 2 GigaBytes or less
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/3b9ax3zb97xw1r7 Download for SDHC Users

ShinF
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:42 PM »

Thanks! I managed to get it working right. This way here when i upload the newest version of Brawl DX either later tonight or tomorrow people can now play in teams and now wonder why mewtwo didn't have a blue team costume anymore. Smiley

Great, I'm glad you got it working well. Smiley

KingImpris
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »

Works great but the hard part is the sc_selcharacter.pac size :/

ShinF
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »

There are a few ways you can lower the file size. The methods that are most commonly used include changing the compression on each brres to ExtendedLZ77, changing all the portraits to CMPR, and one that I came up with and works very well, changing the CSP Dimensions to 100 x 125 rather than 128 x 160. (Or you can go even smaller if it's necessary - just keep the proportions the same.) I currently have every default character with cBliss along with 19 Clones, 9 of which have cBliss, and I'm still well under the limit (I'm at about 3.6 at the moment).

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 08:22:30 PM »

Make your portraits have CMPR compression. You'll loose quality, but save on file size.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

KingImpris
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »

Yeah but later PW will post new updates more space for characters will be out.

ShinF
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »

Yeah but later PW will post new updates more space for characters will be out.

When that happens, we'll probably have enough PSAs that the number of costumes per character probably won't matter so much since each Clone will have 5-6 costumes on their own Smiley

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 6
    Print
    Jump to: