Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Nebulon's GFX Porting Tutorial (Brawl EX Pack makers, this is essential for you)  (Read 62866 times)
Nebulon
Holy Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer Super Saiyan Topic Dedicated Hacker Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »

Hello.

The following tutorial will cover porting External Models to an enemy/assist trophy’s Effect File (Abbreviated ef_file). By doing so, you can ensure that a created character will not have conflicting “GFX” files during play with the original character it’s based on. This is a useful skill to learn if you plan on making a character roster with at least one character who shares the same ef_file as another.

For this example we will be working on Sephiroth, made by: DivineOverlord, Tasty Pumpkin Clock, _Data_Drain_, Albafika, Aafyre, Hollow, Hackingstar, BigBadBooya, Tormod

Let’s have a look. Smiley

Section 1: Identifying

SO, we want to include Sephiroth in our roster, but we want to make sure that in doing so we keep his GFX (a general term for External Models and Textures) from conflicting with any other characters that may use the same ef_file as him. First we need to survey the .pac for Sephiroth. Let’s crack him open using the latest BrawlBox v.71.

(I personally keep all .pacs that I’m working on inside the BrawlBox folder that contain the Brawlbox program I’m using. So I’d put him in the BB v.71 folder. I don’t think this is always necessary, but I’ve been told it is for PSA)

Opening up the .pac file included with Sephiroth reveals that his ef_file is a modified version of Marth’s (See above image. We know it’s Marth because of the Marth name). It is common for created characters to use the same ef_file as the character they have been built on top of. So we now know that Sephiroth will potentially have issues with Marth while they’re both in play. (Note it is good practice to test it first as not all .pacs will conflict. I will explain why they do soon.) Let’s open up the ef_file by clicking the plus sign on the left of the tab (Or you can push the right key on your keyboard)

Opening the tab reveals several other tabs. These tabs could consist of:
    “EFLS-Misc Data[0]”
    “REFF-Marth (Or just the character’s name)”
    “REFT-Marth (Or just the character’s name)”
    “BRES-TextureData[0]”
    “BRES-ModelData[0]”

But we’re only going to be focusing on the EFLS and our BRES for Textures and ModelData (As outlined in the image above).

Let’s go over what the purpose of each is=

A. BRES-ModelData[0-X] (X representing any number above 0) are the external graphics that your character loads for certain attacks. Examples include=Ike’s entry symbol, Link’s Tornado for his boomerang, etc. All of these are packed in here because they are character specific, as opposed to common graphics which can be shared by all and loadd from the disc. So Link’s external graphics will be in his ef_file, and only Link will be able to use them because of what his moveset tells him (We’ll get to that later). Each modeldata has a value in []s. This value is important and I’ll show you how to use it further down. As for TextureData, it essentially houses textures that color the external models. Without them, a model won’t show up correctly, or at all.

B. The EFLS could be viewed as the rerouting station for a character’s GFX. Within the character’s .pac are “external graphic tabs” that load the external graphics for every animation a character has. The ID they load is NOT the model ID in the ef_file, but rather it’s an EFLSEntryIndex number (And will be labeled as such in the Brawl Box 68b). This is important to understand as there is a misconception that the external graphic IDs are modeldata numbers like [ 0 ] or [1] and so forth, but they ARE NOT. When you open the EFLS in the ef_file (In our case ef_Marth) you will see entries (In our case five as depicted in the image below).

These entries are what the EFLSEntryIndex refers to. IMPORTANT: These entries are given a number as their ID (The EFLSEntryIndex) and are listed in the EFLS in the order of their ID. The first EFLS entry will ALWAYS be 0. DO NOT FORGET THAT Smiley And they will ascend in value the further you go down. So in this case, we have entries 0-4.

So now what do we do? Well we know that Sephiroth has 3 models (starting at 0) and several textures for those models. So now we need to take a few notes in order to prepare for exporting. First we’ll take a look at the EFLS IDs. These give us nearly all of our information. So open up the EFLS tab to reveal the entries (As depicted in the image above we have 5). Let’s talk about what we’re looking at when we have an entry highlighted.

According to the above image, there is a difference. Our “Use BRRES” now says “True”. So, we now know that this entry uses a model (BRRES. Yes, I know it’s strange that almost everything has two names. Just try to bear with me.) ANYWAY, this entry is important. So what do we do? Well, let’s jot down somewhere that EFLS Entry index 1 uses BRRES (Model) 0. This means that every animation in the .pac that uses and External Graphic with an EFLSEntryIndex of 1 as it’s value, will use Model 0. In our case, Model 0 is a black and purple sphere. We know this because when we scroll down to our models and open up Model 0 we’ll see it on the right.

At this point, repeat the process until you have jotted down ALL of the EFLS entries that use a BRRES (Model). In the case of Sephiroth, it’s 1,2, and 4, since these entries all have their BRRES set to true.

So with that in mind we can go to step two…

Section 2: Porting

So, we know what EFLS Entry IDS are tied to Models. So, now what do we do? We can port now Smiley Well sort of. For this part of the tutorial I’m going to pick another ef_file to port our GFX to. You can download ef_files in the Resource Pack on Brawl Vault. For this tutorial I downloaded ef_Deathpod.pac in the Effect/Enemy section. Let’s open it up and see what we have to work with:  

In order for GFX porting to work our ef_file NEEDS to have a tab for everything we’re putting in. So according to the above image we have an EFLS, BRRES Texture Data, and BRRES Model Data. If you download an enemy or assist ef_file and it doesn’t have these three things, then it will not work. Pick another until you find one like this.

Moving along, now comes the fun part… putting the models in. to do this, I recommend you export the models you’re using with BB V.71. (Despite what my images tell you lol). So let’s go back to Sephiroth:

What you need to do is highlight Models 0-X (In our case 2) and export them. Do NOT open them and export individual components, export the ENTIRE thing. After exporting Models 0-X (In our case 2) then open up the Textures tab and export every texture used for models. There are 6 for Sephirtoh. Take note of what Format each is in. For many textures, the format MUST stay the same when exported, or else the texture will appear differently then it was intended to appear in game.

So we now have 3 models and  textures exported somewhere safe (hopefully). Now let’s go back to ef_deathpod and start putting them in. How do we do this?

According to the above image, we right click our tab (In this case Texture) then scroll over Import, then select texture. It will then look for the texture. Guide it to wherever you saved the texture and when adding it in make sure the format is the same.

For models the process is different. Models are entire tabs, so rather than opening anything up you’ll need to Right click the top tab “ef_deathpod” and slide over “import” and then click “BRRESresource pack”.

Do this for all of your models (In the case of Sephiroth, it’s 3 models).

So now we’ve got 3 Misc Data[0] tabs inserted here… even though they were models in the previous ef_file. So now we’ll need to make sure the ef_file knows that these are models. So, let’s change a few things:

With a misc data highlighted, take a look at the table on the right. You’ll see a few lines. The first line should be “File type” and will read “Misc Data” further down the line. This is what dictates what the tab is. We’ll chance the File type from “Misc Data” to “Model Data” (Which will in turn change the tab’s name from Misc Data [ 0 ] to Model data [ 0 ]).

After this we go to the next line which reads “File Index”. File type changed the… file type, so the index will change the index, or the number that would be in the brackets. What I’m about to mention is important: Change the File Index to a number that isn’t already in use by any other Model Data. In my case, Models with the numbers 0-20 are in use. So, I’m going to pick a number not in use. Let’s go with 21 (I’m not positive, but you may be required to pick a number that follows the last number in sequential order). So, my first Model Data should read ModelData[21] after I change the 0 in the File Index line to 21. Repeat this process for the next models, and make sure the index number rises 1 in value each time.

If understood it should look like this:

MAKE SURE you open up your models to see if they were ported properly. Expand the Model Data tabs and  then expand the 3D models folder. If you see your model on the right then it was ported successfully. If it’s colored correctly, then you ported the textures successfully. If, you see a red X instead of your model, then it was corrupted. This can happen for a number of reasons, but I’ve found that BB v.71 does a good job at preventing that.

So now we have our textures and models in this enemy ef_file. But as we learned above, every BRRES(Model) needs an EFLS entry.

So let’s open our EFLS:

Yes, the amount of entries you’re seeing is normal. This part can REALLY mess you up so pay extra attention. Just like before, we need to have an EFLS entry for our models, and we need to know their sequential number. So, start with the first entry (In our case “<null>”) And start counting from 0. Recount if you’re not confident with the number you got. So, in our case we counted from 0-46. Since we have 3 BRRES (models) that means we’ll have 3 more EFLS entries to add. So let’s right click on EFLS MiscData[0] and hit Add new entry:

Do this for as many models as you’re adding. Then, go down to your first additional entry. We need to modify it.

Looking at the image above we can see that our new entry is named <null> and that according to it’s table, it’s “USE BRRES” is set to “true” but it’s “BRRES ID” is set to “0”.  The name <null> is fine, in fact, don’t change it. These entries will use BRRES so keep the first line at “true”. And finally, the BRRES ID needs to have the same value as the models we added. So your first new EFLS entry (entry 47 in my case) will load BRRES 21 (Since that’s the value my first ModelData has). So change the 0 to 21. Do this for the remaining new entries.

How do you feel? You just set up your ef_file! Smiley Great job! We have 3 new models all named as Model Data, with not repeated IDs in their brackets, along with imported textures to color them in, and we’ve got 3 EFLS entries to help out .pac load them. Hit save. Now we’ll move on to section 3.

Section 3: .pac modding.

Okay, so you’re super cool now and you’ve got the ef_file all squared away. So now what? Before you go insane, jot down what the new EFLS IDS are, next to your olds ones:

So in our case, we know that EFLS Entry index 1=47, 2=48, and 4=49. This is very important for this step. But first thing’s first: We need to replace the ef_file for out character’s .pac to the new one. So let’s open up our character (In my case Sephiroth’s) .pac:

And replace ef_Marth with our new one:

Okay, so now everything’s where it’s supposed to be. Be sure to check all of the models again since they’re now in a different spot. If there are any Red Xes than they’re corrupt.

Now save the .pac. We’re doing the final modification now, so don’t fall asleep on me just yet. You now need to open the .pac in the program it was made in. If you do not know what program it was made in, you can ask the developers of the character. Most of the time, winging it is okay. I’ve found PSA and BrawlBox v68b to be the most reliable. For this tutorial, we’ll use v68b. So save your .pac in v71 and reopen it in 68b:

You’ll notice that a previously white misc data has transformed into a MDef tab labeled MoveDef_Fit[Your character] (In our case Marth). These are our moves. Or at least part of them, and thankfully the only part we need to know for the tutorial.

So, we’re going to expand the tab revealing 3 folders. You’ll expand “sections” and then “data”. After expanding data you’ll be greeted with a long list of folders.

Look around until you see a folder with “Subaction Scripts” as it’s name, and expand that to reveal:

Yep, that’s right, a folder for every animation the character can perform. You see, sub actions are essentially the pizazz that comes with an animation. And by pizazz I mean, Offensive collisions, Sword Glows, SFX, etc, it’s all here. So, your next task will be the longest task you’ll have: You need to expand every folder, and then expand GFX (If the animation folder has a GFX folder to expand). And then, look for tabs that read “External Graphic Effect” since that’s what models are.

And then expand that tab too. You’ll see that the first entry it has should be “graphic” which will come with a table to look at on the right. See image below.

What we have in my example are two lines: a GFXFile line that reads “Marth” and EFLSEntryIndex that reads “4”. (Note that the GFXFile will normally be whatever the character is built over. So you could expect Viewtiful Joe to have “Captain Falcon” here, or for Vegeta to have “Wolf”).

Remember that notepad file we made?

It’s going to be our best friend. To put it bluntly, you’re going to spend the next 30-60 minutes going through this . pac’s moveset, finding every external Graphic effect tab and changing the GFXFile to Deathpod, and the EFLSEntry Index to the new number according to out notepad. So in our case I would do this:

Now you’re probably thinking “Okay, I get that in Nebulon’s case 4=49, but why was Marth changed to 162?” Well… let me explain. Marth needs to be changed to Deathpod, but enemy EF names aren’t found in the pull down next to Marth, and not even are al of the Assist Trophies. Instead you need to know their ID. To do that, use this link:

http://anonym.to/?http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Effect.pac_IDs

Find your enemy/assist name and get it’s ID (For me it was A2). Then open up calculator, hit view, and turn on the programming function. Then activate the “hex” option on the calculator, and input A2. Then activate the dec option instead and it will convert your hex ID into the decimal (or just normal) ID that BB 68b uses. And that’s how we get our number.

So, to make this clear, go through every animation, open up every GFX folder, look for External Graphic Effect, and change the GFXFile to the name of the ef_file you’re using and the EFLSEntryIndex to the new value that the model is associated with according to that handy notepad file that I really hope you made.

IF you know your character well enough, you don’t have to look inside every folder. For instance, if you’re using Viewtiful Joe, then you’ll know that his SpecialS (Special Side, or Forward/backward+B move in gameplay) will have him throw his Voomerang, which is an External Graphic. So you’ll look for every file that animation folder that has “SpecialS” on it and change look for the “External Graphic Effect” tab that way. You ALSO need to look out for “Terminate Graphic Effect”. When/ if you find them (They aren't always there) you’ll expand the tab like before, and you’ll replace the values just as you did in “External Graphic Effect”. These are important for removing the External graphics when they’re supposed to be removed from gameplay. Otherwise you’ll have meteors and Voomerangs just hanging around for lols.

When you feel you’ve gone through enough folders and fixed all of the tabs, then it’s time for you to hit save, and give it a test. If done correctly, you should find that your character loads their GFX correctly.

Congratulations, you’ve made it to the end of the tutorial. Here are a few things that could go horribly wrong:, but are still potentially fixable:

-If after completing everything you still have some GFX glitches no matter who is in play, then you didn’t set up everything correctly. In this case, you need to go back into these animation folders and check inside “Main” and “Other” for External Graphic Effect tabs, and “Terminate Graphic Effect” tabs. Creators sometimes like to hide them in here. Do the same as you did before.

-If your character freezes upon loading a stage then the .pac file size is too big. Big ef_files can cause a file to be too big to load. Make sure the ef_file you pick isn’t too big. To get an estimate as to how big you character may be once you export the ef_file, export all of the models and textures, and add up their files sizes, then temporarily replace your .pac’s ef_file with the new one and check it’s size. If it’s over 530 kB, then it’ll normally freeze. This is my standard, there are exceptions both good and bad. You’ve been warned.

-If your character just freezes at certain points that it didn’t before, then it’s corrupted. This means you’ll have to start over using a different BB or PSA.

Ask me how I know all of these… go ahead, ask… yep…

In closing, YES it’s tedious, and YES it’s frustrating, but it when it comes down to it, if it’s worth it, then this is nothing compared to the hours of enjoyment you could get out of the game once having done this. Smiley

One last disclaimer for people using my pack: I use enemy ef_files and assist ef_files on some of my characters. If you’re going to port your GFX to and enemy ef_file, then please pick one that I’m not using. If you pick one that I’m already using then it’ll be just as glitch as it would be if you had the original character and the replacement character fight.

And there you have it. I hope I helped at least one of you out there. DO NOT pm me on how to do REFFs, I don’t really know how to do those. Try to keep questions in the forum as much as possible for others to help, especially if it’s a general question like “what’s X in hexadecimal” or “what BB can get the MoveDef_FitXXXXX to show up?”

I’m not an expert, just a one trick pony with a well renowned pack. I hope you all survived this epic. Go forth and have fun Smiley

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:22:21 PM by Nebulon » Logged

Want to talk about my pack? Let's take it over here to the Brawl 4 All thread: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=71453.msg1306822#msg1306822

ShinF
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer Hot Topic Pin Collector Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »

Very nice! Definitely bookmarking this for when I get the chance to go through it. It's pretty awesome how much effort you've put into this.

Want cBliss on your BrawlEx Build? Check out this tutorial!

KingImpris
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »

Im wondering is the gfx a glitch? or is it normally shared?

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »

Very nice! Definitely bookmarking this for when I get the chance to go through it. It's pretty awesome how much effort you've put into this.

I tired Smiley But as it's my first I'm willing to accept criticism. Thank you though! I hope this makes an impact Smiley

Post Merge: March 13, 2014, 10:30:35 PM
    Im wondering is the gfx a glitch? or is it normally shared?

The GFX errors that occur in Brawl Ex between characters that share an ef_file are also sharing GFX. To outline it further, let's say Sephiroth has a EFLS entry that loads wings during an attack and the EFLS entry happens to be entry 1. What happens when Marth is in play is that every sub action animation folder that uses an External Graphic Effect with a EFLSEntry Index ID of 1 will also have wings, instead of whatever it was supposed to have. This typically happens when Sephirtoh is loaded before Marth, because Marth has Sephirtoh's GFX and not the other way around. Loading Marth does the same thing, except Sephirth's wings are now replaced with whatever Marth has on his EFLSEntry Index 1.

I hope that answers your question. Smiley
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:30:35 PM by Nebulon » Logged

Want to talk about my pack? Let's take it over here to the Brawl 4 All thread: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=71453.msg1306822#msg1306822

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Renowned Hacker Diamond in the Rough Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »

As a note, I'd add that Ext Graphics aren't always placed in GFX (which is the case in my PSA's and possibly with some others).

Otherwise, it seems fine.

Although I probably won't be doing it for my hacks, too many on my plate already :V

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

HaloFanODST
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! Good Citizen Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »

Woah, too much.
    This might take a while.

Before someone attacks me:
    No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
    America is a continent and deal with it.
    I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »

As a note, I'd add that Ext Graphics aren't always placed in GFX (which is the case in my PSA's and possibly with some others).

Otherwise, it seems fine.

Although I probably won't be doing it for my hacks, too many on my plate already :V

I mention it further down Smiley But thanks for that anyway.

Post Merge: March 13, 2014, 10:37:44 PM
    Woah, too much.
    This might take a while.

Once you get it down you can do it really quick Smiley I wanted it to leave no open ends and answer everything. So I made it detailed and more hand-holding than vague. It's intimidating, but it's worth it Smiley
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:37:44 PM by Nebulon » Logged

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Renowned Hacker Diamond in the Rough Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:32 PM »

I mention it further down Smiley But thanks for that anyway.

Indeed you did

I wouldn't say "hide", I'd say lazy Tongue

In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

Rosetta-Hime
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Dedicated Hacker >9000 Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »

Amazing tutorial! Definitely using this! Amazing job, Nebulon!

KingImpris
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 10:55:15 PM »

I tired Smiley But as it's my first I'm willing to accept criticism. Thank you though! I hope this makes an impact Smiley

Post Merge: March 13, 2014, 10:30:35 PM
    The GFX errors that occur in Brawl Ex between characters that share an ef_file are also sharing GFX. To outline it further, let's say Sephiroth has a EFLS entry that loads wings during an attack and the EFLS entry happens to be entry 1. What happens when Marth is in play is that every sub action animation folder that uses an External Graphic Effect with a EFLSEntry Index ID of 1 will also have wings, instead of whatever it was supposed to have. This typically happens when Sephirtoh is loaded before Marth, because Marth has Sephirtoh's GFX and not the other way around. Loading Marth does the same thing, except Sephirth's wings are now replaced with whatever Marth has on his EFLSEntry Index 1.

I hope that answers your question. Smiley

Good job Ill be using this alot
    Have you noticed Luigi,King DDD,Peach.Donkey kong etc don't have sounds for their final smash

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 12:06:57 AM »

Oh wow, this would have helped when I was giving Master Hand's GFX to a Link clone, especially that list. XD
    Although, I found out you don't need to export the files from the GFX 'donor' at all, you can just rename the GFX for the character.

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Sammi Husky
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker >9000 King for a Day

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 12:35:22 AM »

Nice tut man! Glad to see this out in the open! you may want to add spoiler tags around the images, just to make the post a bit smaller. other then that, great job! definitely gonna help alot of people out!

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »

Oh wow, this would have helped when I was giving Master Hand's GFX to a Link clone, especially that list. XD
    Although, I found out you don't need to export the files from the GFX 'donor' at all, you can just rename the GFX for the character.

That's definately a faster way Smiley But if you make your characters share an ef_file with an enemy or assist trophy, then it won't cause conflicts when they spawn in battle. If you just rename it without applying the models and whatnot to the enemy/ assist Ef_file, then one of them won't load their gfx because there'll be two different ef_files and the game only knows how to load one.

Post Merge: March 14, 2014, 09:22:54 AM
    Nice tut man! Glad to see this out in the open! you may want to add spoiler tags around the images, just to make the post a bit smaller. other then that, great job! definitely gonna help alot of people out!

Good idea, I'll do that during lunch. Smiley
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:22:54 AM by Nebulon » Logged

ASF1nk
    HAX PRODIGY
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards >9000 Star Hacker Heart Container Pin Collector

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »

Great tutorial, but half of it can be avoided by simply renaming the ef_file to that of the ID you want.

Suerte

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »

So I take it sword glows won't be possible to port?

Great tutorial, but half of it can be avoided by simply renaming the ef_file to that of the ID you want.

Suerte
    So you could rename the ID of Marth's ef_file (or any other sword glow character) and have sword glows for our Brawl Ex port?

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 5
    Print
    Jump to: