Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Defragging SD Cards for Brawl Meaningless?  (Read 2378 times)
lamentofking
Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

Hello,

I remember using Brawl hacks a few years ago and when the game froze I was instructed to defrag the card and try again. A lot of times it worked but eventually it would freeze up again. Recently, I read that defragging a sd card shortens it's lifespan and degrades the chip in the card. Is this true? If so then why have people been suggesting to defrag our sd cards? It makes me think the reason my brawl hacks were freezing when others who were using the same hacks were freeze-free was because I degraded my chip by defragging so much.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:20:12 PM by lamentofking » Logged

Ozan
Hyper Kitten

Humanity is the bane of my existence.

• Awards Cookie Clicker! Good Citizen Shadow the Pinhog Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »

You said you were defragmenting your SD Card, right? Were you also reapplying the hacks back on to the SD Card? (In other words, did you make backups of your hacks?)

Want me to do your BRSTM requests? Check out my topic: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=66118.0

lamentofking
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »

I just left the files on there. If I did a format I would (by definition) have to put the hacks back on the sd card.

Ozan
    Hyper Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:25 PM »

I just left the files on there. If I did a format I would (by definition) have to put the hacks back on the sd card.
    Well, for me, defragmenting something would be the same as formatting, except formatting is defragmenting and changing the format of the drive. What format is your memory card? NTSC? FAT?
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:29:16 PM by Perfect Nazo » Logged

Want me to do your BRSTM requests? Check out my topic: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=66118.0

lamentofking
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:55:14 AM »

Well, for me, defragmenting something would be the same as formatting, except formatting is defragmenting and changing the format of the drive. What format is your memory card? NTSC? FAT?
    Could have sworn they were different things. Because Windows doesn't give you the option by default to defrag flash media but you can format and even with digital cameras there is no defrag option but you can format. I guess because flash media has no moving parts? And my card is fat or fat32 depending on the size (and compatibility).

Office Ninja
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

Formatting can mean either removing everything from a memory device or changing the format of the memory device to something else (ie Fat32 to NTFS), which usually requires all of the data on the device to be removed.

Defragmenting is going through the device and fixing pieces where a mistake could have been made while writing the data to the device (fragments).

I wouldn't think defragmenting the SD card would damage it, but I've never looked into it so don't take my word for it.

Ozan
    Hyper Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »

Yeah, defragmenting is useless, here's what I normally do when it freezes:

I just delete the hack(s) that I just recently added, and if that doesn't work, then I just make a backup of my hacks, save them in a folder onto my desktop, and delete everything on my SD card. Then, I re-apply the hacks, 5 at a time, and test run them in Brawl.

But may I ask, how much memory can your memory card hold? And do you use Riivolution or Gecko? Do you use any audio related hacks?

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: