Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl (Looking For More Team Members)  (Read 9101 times)
TheRealHeroOfWinds
Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »

Introduction

We have Melee. We have Brawl. We have Project M to bring the best of Melee to Brawl. We have Smash 64 other time to finally make the dream of bringing the best of it to Brawl.

The N64 when under development was called "Project Reality". Seeing as how similar projects have been attempted and never become a reality, the name really fits.

The goal of 64 Reality is to create a mod that will emulate Smash 64 closely in terms of game design while have more stages and some small updates to the game.

How This Will Finally Be A Reality

Those who have followed similar mods in the past just to watch them fail have hope! Having studied these projects (Super Smash Bros. Classic, Brawl 64 and the other Brawl 64) I have studied the issues they came across and have plans to make this project finally be a reality by doing the following.

Better Organization:

Previous attempts to create a Smash 64 mod have had little to no organization. I plan as the project director to have scheduled meetings for the team to discuss work and regular updates to keep fans excited and informed.

Deadlines:

Other projects never had a strong deadline structure which lead to the projects slowly going off course and being neglected and forgotten. With our better organization, I will also have set deadlines for certain aspects of the project to be done to keep things focused and driven towards the goal of completion.

More Resources:

Many of these previous projects where done much longer ago, and today code they were trying to create is now made and readily available. Many fans of Smash 64 have created stages in their likeness, textures to match 64, and even animated characters to have their old moveset. Some of these old projects even have some of these files and code connected to them still to work with. With so much more to work with many things other projects attempted to do have already been done for us and given us a major head start!

Why Make This Project?

The idea has been well received previously when attempted, and for fans of Smash since 1999 this would be an incredible experience to have. With the success of Project M it is easy to see that something similar for N64 could be taken seriously, be played competitively, and be just plain FUN to play! Think of a fun nostalgic look at what Smash 64 would be with a much larger cast and a few improvements. That is what we wish to create.

New and Old Features

I want to keep this as close to Smash 64 as possible. However, there are a few things I do hope to add to the game. Here is a simple list of mechanics that will be taken out of Brawl or kept that weren't in Smash 64. Italics will indicate new features that weren't in Smash 64.

No chargeable smash attacks*
    N64-esque hitstun
    N64-esque physics
    Keep 3 Taunts
    Implement Taunt Canceling
    No fastfalling on aerials
    Original 64 Movesets (changing back to 64 moves ex. Mario Tornado replacing F.L.U.D.D.)
    Removing "jank" from some stages to make them playable
    Remove Air Dodge*
    Remove Spot Dodge*
    Remove Wall/Cieling Teching*
    Remove Pummel*
    Remove Grab Release
    Remove Up/Down Throws
    Remove Wall Jump
    Remove Perfect Shield*
    Remove Light Shield
    Remove Tethering
    Remove Brawl's Ledge Mechanics
    Remove Tripping
    Remove Ledge Jump*
    Remove Meteor Canceling*
    Implement Teleport
    Implement Crouch Canceling
    Implement Smash 64 DI*
    Better Stage Selection
    Appropriate stage boundaries to reflect Smash 64 DI
    Have Timers
    Be able to turn off pausing during matches

*Indicates things we already have code to do. If you know code for anything we don't yet have, post it here and let us know!

If I managed to miss anything about mechanics that must be altered please let me know and I will get them on the list, I did the best I could researching other threads to try and create that list.

Why Should You Be The Director?

Fair question! I am not the most amazing hacker in the world by any means, but I do have lots of experience managing and working on big projects. I do have enough hacking experience to edit stage names, edit character's textures, and more, but I can't do too much advanced stuff.

How Can I Help?

Great question! I can't do this on my own and succeed, this will take a great team to manage and produce this fabulous project. If you have any skills working on Brawl and would like to join the team, please post here or PM me.

If you have any codes that we may not have yet, .pacs of characters with their 64 moveset, 64 stage hacks etc. get us a link in this thread! We'll be sure to give credit where credit is due!
We do need some people good at editing stages for sure to help us get some stages changed. Anyone skilled in animating, coding, or hacking in general is greatly needed!

I Can't Hack! How Can I Help?

Don't worry! There are other ways to help!

There are a few non-hacking things we'll need help with for sure including:
Digital Art: We'll need an artist to help us with making logos and such so this project keeps looking good
Website Designer: We want to have an informative website about the project at some point.

Social Media

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Reality64game
YouTube: http://youtube.com/reality64game
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reality64game
TwitchTV: http://www.twitch.tv/Reality64game

Thank you SO much for reading this, let's make this a reality!

Current Team Members

@TheRealHeroOfWinds
@Madao
@sluigi123
@Vale
@Rage83
@Rood
@DiZZ
@Mewtwo_2000
@EverythingSmash
@Gene
@Furil
@TOCK KNOCK
@WindozeNT
@smashbro29
@Dsc
@isalegend
@bizzozeron
@KaBlamJamDan
@Fancy

Goals For Version 0.5

Implement the original cast of 12 giving them their original movesets.

Mario
    Donkey Kong
    Link
    Samus
    Yoshi
    Kirby
    Fox
    Pikachu
    Luigi
    Captain Falcon
    Ness
    Jigglypuff

Implement these stages and attempt to make the better for competition if necessary. Allow play on the three inaccessible stages for 1v1. Attempt to have original stage music play during these stages.

Hyrule Castle

Changes: No tornado, size slightly reduced.
Competitive Ver.
Huge layout overhaul. Will be significantly smaller in size in comparison to the Casual Ver.
Casual Ver.
Size increased by 8%.
Saffron City
Changes: The very left building is elevated upwards, and the yellow moving platforms will move a bit differently to compensate it.
Competitive Ver.
Two buildings are moved forward with three platforms in a row down the center. The top one moves from left to right, not going off screen.
Final Destination

Changes: Now the N64 version for you to play on!
Reverted back to its original size.
Duel Zone

Changes: Duel Zone is not quite Battlefield, the dimensions are slightly different. Plus you can now use it for competitive matches!
All three platforms have been given slightly higher elevation.
Top Camera boundary was lift higher slightly.
Meta Crystal

Changes: Now playable!
Top Platform Moved up slightly.
Peach's Castle

Changes: Grabable ledges on the sliding platforms, no bumper and the little triangles high up are gone.
Competitive Ver.
Will be getting a huge overhaul. In other words, will be redone for no hazards, and no moving platforms. Will give you a pic of it once it's ready.
Casual Ver.
The Bumper and the Side Ramps will be having a different movement pattern.
Yoshi's Story

Changes: No clouds!
Competitive Ver.
Size increased by about 10%.
Better wall collisions on both ends of the base platform. (Book)
Casual Ver.
Top platform moved up significantly higher. A cloud will be moving around the top platform at a decent speed to compensate it.
Shy Guys will appear with food, just like from Melee, and Brawl.
Sector Z

Competitive Ver.
Huge Layout Overhaul. Significantly smaller than the Casual Version.
Base platform with slightly slanted edges.
An Arwing will be moving around the stage in some sort of pattern, but it'll NOT shoot at all throughout the entire match.
Casual Ver.
Readjusted the Arwings' routes.
Updated the Entire Stage to really look like in 64.
Stages without pictures yet

Congo Jungle [lighten up stage so dark characters can be seen]
    Planet Zebes [remove acid]
    Competitive Ver.
    Huge layout overhaul. Will be significantly smaller in size in comparison to the Casual Ver.
    Casual Ver.
    Is now 81% the original size.
    Dream Land
    Competitive Ver.
    Top platform has moved up slightly, to the point that Captain Falcon would have to Double Jump, just to get up to that platform.
    No Wind.
    Casual Ver.
    Whispy Woods will now spawn Apples onto the stage, just like from Green Greens from Melee.
    Floating Platforms have been inverted layout-wise.
    Mushroom Kingdom [possible serious redesign]
    Subspace Emissary
    Competitive Version
    Will be using the GOLD ver. upon this stage's next update.
    Casual Version
    Will be using the Crazy ver. upon this stage's next update.
    Rice Beach                                                                                                                       Competitive Ver.
    Huge layout overhaul. Will be slightly smaller in size in comparison to the Casual Ver.
    Will NOT be having the floating barrel appearing.
    Casual Ver.
    Barrel's Size got significantly increased.
    Half of the top platform is now slanted downwards towards the center stage.

Implement some mechanics changes to more accurately present gameplay in Smash 64. Attempt to make the physics as closely as possible.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:36:21 PM by TheRealHeroOfWinds » Logged

windhunter7
BrawlVault Gatekeeper
Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »

I would like to join the project team, as I can do recolors and minor texture edits; but, I will only join if you make this project more like Project M redid Melee, where they bring back the physics, but they keep cool things that keep the game competitive(For example, they kept the ability to grab items mid-air, which involves timing; as opposed to how Melee didn't have that function, and it made Melee less fun because of that; I do agree with things like tripping getting removed, though), as well as slightly modify the Smash 64 movesets to be more balanced, make 64 versions of movesets for all of the characters(Including the newcomers), keep the current costumes while adding alternates that fit the characters(And maybe do like AlGeorgeRomo did with Melee Remastered by recoloring the Brawl characters to look like hi-poly, ri-res versions of their 64 counterparts), and make the stages hi-poly and ri-res, too.(For example, Brawl already has a version of the Starfox map, only with a different background, which you could retexture to look like a high-quality version of Sector Z.)

I've worked on plenty of teams, too, and one of the key things is to notice tricks that professionals use and use those same tricks.(Just like you use specific types of advertising, you also use specific types of implements in games to make it more enjoyable; can you imagine, for example, how unpopular a mod that makes Super Smash Bros series games not have cliffs and star-kos would be? VERY unpopular, as the purpose changes; you want the purpose to remain the same, but you also want to enhance the experience. In fact, my brother and I are actually starting a video game company, and one of the things that I planned on was to remake classic games from before 2,000 and keep them similar, but adding awesome things like good graphics to make them have the same fun, but with some added fun on top of that.)

Post Merge: February 20, 2015, 11:10:42 AM
    P.S. Awesome graphics job on the logo, by the way! You should use that as the logo in-game. It's a fantastic job on it!
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:10:42 AM by windhunter7 » Logged

TheRealHeroOfWinds
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »

I would like to join the project team, as I can do recolors and minor texture edits; but, I will only join if you make this project more like Project M redid Melee, where they bring back the physics, but they keep cool things that keep the game competitive(For example, they kept the ability to grab items mid-air, which involves timing; as opposed to how Melee didn't have that function, and it made Melee less fun because of that; I do agree with things like tripping getting removed, though), as well as slightly modify the Smash 64 movesets to be more balanced, make 64 versions of movesets for all of the characters(Including the newcomers), keep the current costumes while adding alternates that fit the characters(And maybe do like AlGeorgeRomo did with Melee Remastered by recoloring the Brawl characters to look like hi-poly, ri-res versions of their 64 counterparts), and make the stages hi-poly and ri-res, too.(For example, Brawl already has a version of the Starfox map, only with a different background, which you could retexture to look like a high-quality version of Sector Z.)

I've worked on plenty of teams, too, and one of the key things is to notice tricks that professionals use and use those same tricks.(Just like you use specific types of advertising, you also use specific types of implements in games to make it more enjoyable; can you imagine, for example, how unpopular a mod that makes Super Smash Bros series games not have cliffs and star-kos would be? VERY unpopular, as the purpose changes; you want the purpose to remain the same, but you also want to enhance the experience. In fact, my brother and I are actually starting a video game company, and one of the things that I planned on was to remake classic games from before 2,000 and keep them similar, but adding awesome things like good graphics to make them have the same fun, but with some added fun on top of that.)

Post Merge: February 20, 2015, 11:10:42 AM
    P.S. Awesome graphics job on the logo, by the way! You should use that as the logo in-game. It's a fantastic job on it!

Thanks for your interest in the project, but by far the easiest thing to do is recolors!

And trust me, we already have the plan for the original 64 stages to be updated visually, same for characters.

We could really use modelers, animators, and texturers. You can never have enough!

Also props to Tock (project m dev) for the logo. Who is also part of the R64 team!

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »

So will you not need me, then, since all I can really have time for is recolors?(Though they are good quality recolors)

bizzozeron
    Newbie Kitten

Smashing Grounds Gfx Designer / Modeler

• Awards Favorite'd Famous Hacker Featured

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »

Hey, I'm a modeller.  I do models.  I'm currently working on a 64 series of Smash characters based on the character's original Smash 64 artwork, rather than the in-game models themselves.  So far I have DK released in an almost final state, and I have plans to do every Smash 64 character (based on their artwork) and finalizing/perfecting each skin once all twelve are in a nearly done state.  This project coincidentally aligns well with the goals I already set for myself, so at best I can guarantee full permission for using the skins I release in this pack with credit given.  I can also guarantee that the next skins I do will all be 64 versions until the final characters are released.  Unfortunately, however, due to my interests wandering, I'm also currently in the process of revamping Super Mario 64 Bowser, so the Smash 64-exclusive characters will be my main focus following his release.  Uh..  So I'll join the team?

Also I talk to Tock.  It's a good logo, he does good work.  I think we could work well together should we be tasked with that for whatever reason.

TheRealHeroOfWinds
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »

Hey, I'm a modeller.  I do models.  I'm currently working on a 64 series of Smash characters based on the character's original Smash 64 artwork, rather than the in-game models themselves.  So far I have DK released in an almost final state, and I have plans to do every Smash 64 character (based on their artwork) and finalizing/perfecting each skin once all twelve are in a nearly done state.  This project coincidentally aligns well with the goals I already set for myself, so at best I can guarantee full permission for using the skins I release in this pack with credit given.  I can also guarantee that the next skins I do will all be 64 versions until the final characters are released.  Unfortunately, however, due to my interests wandering, I'm also currently in the process of revamping Super Mario 64 Bowser, so the Smash 64-exclusive characters will be my main focus following his release.  Uh..  So I'll join the team?

Also I talk to Tock.  It's a good logo, he does good work.  I think we could work well together should we be tasked with that for whatever reason.

Check your inbox!

ShadowLuigi~NG~
    Lol Kitten

I make mods and mod accessories

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Panic! Heart Container

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »

Small yet simingly well put together. Let's hope this doesn't fall short. I mean, I doubt it would since Smash 64 came out nearly two decades ago. Good luck!

TheRealHeroOfWinds
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »

Small yet simingly well put together. Let's hope this doesn't fall short. I mean, I doubt it would since Smash 64 came out nearly two decades ago. Good luck!
    Thanks for the support man, we'll need it!

TheRealHeroOfWinds
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »

Hello everybody.

Sorry this isn't a big announcement, but I'd like to say that we have a Google Form ready for those who want to apply for Reality 64! Click here to get to the form.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: