Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missing PAC and/or PCS files - what to do?  (Read 2130 times)
Persona-Aya
Mega Kitten

In awe of the talents of the Brawl Vault community

View Profile Awards
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:11:03 PM »

Hello everyone!

So I'm attempting to implement cbliss into my Brawl, and one of the major points of criteria to run cbliss is that the newly generated costumes need to have both a pac and pcs file.

However, some of the downloads from the brawl vault (usually older downloads) only contain a pac or pcs file - not both.

Is there any way to generate the missing pac/pcs file by using the pac/pcs file I do have?

I feel like there's probably an easy and obvious answer to this question but I've never really had to worry about this before Kirby Dance

"You need a reason to fight. But it cannot be an ideal. If you fight for ideals, the only thing you can save are ideals. There is no way you can save people" - Archer, Fate Stay/Night (Unlimited Blade Works)

You know, in a weird sense, Brawl Modding has saved my life. So thank you to everyone involved in this community! Kirby Dance

Makarew
Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic RAGE!! Ceiling Cat

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »

Open it in Brawlbox. Click File>Save As and save it as .pair. It will make both.

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »

Yes; open it, and save it as the same name as the opposite.
    Example: There is only a FitCaptain00.pac; open it in BrawlBox, "Save As", and then select ".pcs" instead of ".pac" for file type.
    I do this when testing my recolors, too; makes importing the textures a lot faster, as you then only have to do it once. Pretty cool Smiley

Persona-Aya
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »

Does it work the other way around to (Save PCS file as a PAC)? I heard that the file sizes are meant to be different (PAC higher then PCS), so saving by these methods will give me both files and different sizes?

"You need a reason to fight. But it cannot be an ideal. If you fight for ideals, the only thing you can save are ideals. There is no way you can save people" - Archer, Fate Stay/Night (Unlimited Blade Works)

You know, in a weird sense, Brawl Modding has saved my life. So thank you to everyone involved in this community! Kirby Dance

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »

Does it work the other way around to (Save PCS file as a PAC)? I heard that the file sizes are meant to be different (PAC higher then PCS), so saving by these methods will give me both files and different sizes?

It should yield identical results, whether or not you save the .pac as .pcs or the .pcs as .pac, since a .pcs is just simply a compressed .pac, which means that when you open it in BrawlBox, it will show the full information.(Kind of like how if you zip a folder, it's compressed and takes up less space, but when you extract it, it gets the full contents, as large as before it was compressed.)

Persona-Aya
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »

Oh I getcha now! And because a pcs is a compressed file, it naturally should be smaller then a pac file anyway. I feel like such a dope now.

But thanks to the both of you! Kirby Dance

One last question - if a pac and a pcs file are the same size (which shouldn't happen anyway), does that mean that the texture will not work?

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »

Oh I getcha now! And because a pcs is a compressed file, it naturally should be smaller then a pac file anyway. I feel like such a dope now.

But thanks to the both of you! Kirby Dance

One last question - if a pac and a pcs file are the same size (which shouldn't happen anyway), does that mean that the texture will not work?

Well, seeing as it's physically impossible for a compressed file to not reduce filesize(That I know of, and yes is the case with this), that would mean that the filesize of the .pcs will always be lower than the .pac; if it's the same, that means that the files are different, which means that only the things that are identical will work.(Assuming that non-identicalness won't cancel everything)  So, I'm pretty sure that the texture won't work if that's the case, if it's simply a texture mod.(The .pac is the main one.)

Makarew
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic RAGE!! Ceiling Cat

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »

Saving a .pcs as a .pac will NOT work. You must save as a .pair. It will make correct .pac and .pcs.

Persona-Aya
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »

Saving a .pcs as a .pac will NOT work. You must save as a .pair. It will make correct .pac and .pcs.

Yep - discovered that by trial and error just then. Problem solved. Thanks a million windhunter7 and Makarew!
    Kirby Dance

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: