Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Final Smash Eyes (Jigglypuff, Kirby, Ness, Lucas)  (Read 13286 times)
ピカノ
THE catgirl fan
Special Access

papersak's personal stalker

• Awards Famous Hacker Heart Container Pin Collector Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: June 19, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »

Writing up this post because... a lot of Kirby / Ness / Lucas / (any "flat" eyed charact) textures fail hard when it comes to FS eyes. Wanna know why? FS eyes work in a very screwy way.

For each of these characters, you have a set of 4 eyes for normal and FS use. The normal eye textures include both the the eye and face while the FS eyes only show the yellow eye, everything else is transparent.

So, FS eyes... recolor and done, right? WRONG. Well --- wrong if you modified the surrounding face or shape of the eye at all. You would imagine that leaving the surroundings or copying the new face segments into the FS eyes would work; well, unfortunately it doesn't.

Steps to proper FS eyes for flat eyed characters.
    1) Create normal eyes.
    2) Copy normal eye image into FS eye image.
    3) Recolor eyes.
    4) Delete surroundings (leaving transparency).

If you have done this right, you should be able to use a color picker to display the deleted colors.

Normal eye on left, FS eye on right --- FS eye was color picked near the top left --- revealing a FULLY TRANSPARENT tan color. What happens when you don't do this properly? The mismatched colors turn up bright white (or black depending on color values).

Example of failure (sorry to creator... first image I found):
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:17:12 PM by picano » Logged

alexhall
    Mega Kitten

JUST AS PLANNED!

• Awards Fiery Topic RAGE!! Featured Famous Hacker

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:07:52 AM »

What I do is modify it's alpha layer and only leave white the part I want the eyes to glow. It worked for all characters I did instead of a Squirtle one I'm working on now.

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »

When dealing with the Final Smash eyes for Kirby, Pikachu, Ness, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Jigglypuff, you need to use Photoshop CS3 or CS4 to edit the Alpha Channel; The GIMP will not work.  What's shown on the Alpha Channel should be exactly like what's shown on the normal eye texture file, except only the eye part of the texture should be visible.  Below is an image example of what I'm talking about.

Note: All of Kirby's eye textures are normal textures.  The magenta background on the bottom-right image only represents that the Alpha Channel is enabled.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:46:34 AM by mnsg » Logged

shadowsquid86
    Mega Kitten

Person of Lordly Caliber

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »

So let me get this straight, if I don't want screwy Pika eyes, I have to spring for Photoshop?  not impressed

ピカノ
    THE catgirl fan
    Special Access

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »

So let me get this straight, if I don't want screwy Pika eyes, I have to spring for Photoshop?  not impressed

Are you blind? ARE YOU A MORON?

My first post clearly shows GIMP. -.-;;

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »

Picano, I should probably mention that Toon Link's eyes aren't flat.  He does have an eye iris texture that's completely separate from his eye lid textures.  Same case for his Final Smash eye texture.

ピカノ
    THE catgirl fan
    Special Access

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:16:58 PM »

Huh, never knew that.

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »

Huh, never knew that.

By the way, the Ice Climbers do have flat eyes.  When you extract their PAC file, they have 8 eye textures; 4 normal, 4 Final Smash.

shadowsquid86
    Mega Kitten

Person of Lordly Caliber

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »

Are you blind? ARE YOU A MORON?

My first post clearly shows GIMP. -.-;;
    I see what you did there ......
    When dealing with the Final Smash eyes for Kirby, Pikachu, Ness, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Jigglypuff, you need to use Photoshop CS3 or CS4 to edit the Alpha Channel; The GIMP will not work.

So I apologize for being such a blind moron by reading the post directly above mine.

*sigh*

Thanks for the info, anyway...

ピカノ
    THE catgirl fan
    Special Access

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »

Yes, I've come off as a bastard for that but seriously --- if my example shows damned GIMP... GIMP works.

libertyernie
    Lol Kitten

Go for the gold

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 King for a Day RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »

As far as I can tell , Brawl seems to completely ignore the FS eyes' alpha layer. For my new textures, I just paste the yellow part of the Final Smash eyes over the regular eyes and save that as the FS eye image with GIMP (not editing the alpha layer), and I don't notice any problems in-game.

This is how I originally figured out it might work:

These are my edited textures - except the Final Smash eyes, which are the versions extracted by ASH and are not edited.

EDIT: Okay, so maybe this doesn't work all that well:
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:18:13 AM by libertyernie » Logged

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 06:34:32 AM »

As far as I can tell , Brawl seems to completely ignore the FS eyes' alpha layer. For my new textures, I just paste the yellow part of the Final Smash eyes over the regular eyes and save that as the FS eye image with GIMP (not editing the alpha layer), and I don't notice any problems in-game.

This is how I originally figured out it might work:

These are my edited textures - except the Final Smash eyes, which are the versions extracted by ASH and are not edited.

EDIT: Okay, so maybe this doesn't work all that well:

Using Adobe Photoshop CS3 or CS4 should help you out more since you'll know what to edit on the Alpha Channel.  Of course, Pikachu will always be rather weird with its Final Smash eyes.

irishladdie727
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:03:35 PM »

All of these posts are somewhat confusing (seriously, they are).  Nonetheless, I actually have managed to try them all, and not one of them has seemed to be a workable solution.  When I copy the new normal eye texture into the FS eye texture and then delete the surroundings, the surroundings still show up in game as colorful glitched visual artifacts and it's terrifying.  I can actually see these artifacts if I view the PNG in Quicktime photo viewer or MS Paint, and they're everywhere that transparency should be, but I can't see them at all in Photoshop or Gimp, it shows transparency in both.  When I use paint to erase the artifacts, then reopen the pictures in photoshop to replace the white background with transparency, there's now a big white splotch all over Kirby's face.  The same thing happens when I edit the Alpha channel.  I've even tried selecting just the eye, cutting it to a new layer, and then creating a transparent layer under it, and it still just creates white splotches.  It's like the game just doesn't read transparency.  Is there any fix for this at all?
    « Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:02:58 PM by irishladdie727 » Logged

libertyernie
    Lol Kitten

Go for the gold

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 King for a Day RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »

I posted this in another topic a while back, but I think it makes more sense here.

Editing FS eyes with GIMP

It is usually possible to retexture "flat-faced" characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff fully without ever touching Photoshop. (These are the characters with more than one EyeYellow image.) GIMP can do some of the same things with the alpha channel, albeit more awkwardly.

Note: This only works if you plan on keeping the character's eyes the same size, shape and position as the original.

1. Load your new FS eye image (including background) into GIMP.

2. Also load the .tga/.png file you wish to replace.

3. In the first image, go to Edit>Copy Visible to copy what you see.
    4. Select the second image. In the Channels pane (), deselect Alpha so only Red, Blue and Green are highlighted (see picture.)

5. Go back to the Layers pane () and press Ctrl+V to paste. A new layer will appear called "Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)". Right-click on it and choose "Anchor Layer".

The appearance of the image shouldn't have changed much when you anchored the layer. If it did, you probably did step 4 incorrectly.
    6. Now you should be able to save the .tga file and it should work in Brawl.

7. If you want to be sure, go back to the Channels pane, select only Alpha (and deselect Red, Blue and Green). Press Ctrl+, to fill with black (assuming black is the foreground color, which it probably is.) Your original image should appear. If it does, you're good. Close WITHOUT saving (don't worry, you saved in step 6.)

I'm not the best at explaining it, so if you need clarification, just ask. It's a lot easier for me to do it in GIMP, since my Photoshop trial ran out and I don't want to buy or pirate it.

irishladdie727
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 01:53:53 AM »

I posted this in another topic a while back, but I think it makes more sense here.

Editing FS eyes with GIMP

It is usually possible to retexture "flat-faced" characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff fully without ever touching Photoshop. (These are the characters with more than one EyeYellow image.) GIMP can do some of the same things with the alpha channel, albeit more awkwardly.

Note: This only works if you plan on keeping the character's eyes the same size, shape and position as the original.

See, that happens to be the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do...  I'm working on a texture hack for Kirby where his eyes are a completely new shape, size, and position...  It looks like so:

Terrifying and awesome right?  Well I can't upload it until I fix the DERN Final smash eyes!:-\      

Thanks for trying to help though.

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: