Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Repository of Modding Tips  (Read 1908 times)
Shun_One
Lol Kitten

• Awards >9000 Star Hacker Smash 3 Team Pin Collector

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: August 21, 2014, 12:03:29 AM »

Hello everyone.

I'm making this thread as a place for people to just drop some general tips for others. It's not meant to be a "ask for help" type of thing, but more of a "This is useful to know" kind of place. It's meant to cover pretty much every aspect of modding, right down to interacting with other users so if you've got something useful to share please do.

I'm not trying to write tutorials here, just give folks a platform to spout random modding tips.

As a general house rule, if you disagree with a tip for whatever reason just post your own tip on the same topic. No need to call people out on their methods, and who knows? Both tips might end up helping different people.

I'll begin with a few myself to get the ball rolling.

Giving advice
    A good thing to remember is that we all have very different taste in things. Try to get an idea for what someone is trying to accomplish with their mod and suggest things that'd help them do that. It can be difficult sometimes, especially if you don't particularly like the direction a mod is going in, but feedback from people who don't like what you're doing, but understand what you're trying to do can be really helpful.

Texture degradation
    A good thing to be aware of is that the more you edit a texture via hue/saturation, the more it'll degrade. It'll lose details and become muddy which doesn't look good. So what I like to do is experiment a lot with colors until I find ones I like, then redo the whole thing from scratch using the "right" colors the first time.

The color white
    Just try to stick to a level the same as Peach or Marth's white costumes to be safe.

No need to follow this format for posting tips, just post something you think will help someone out.
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:05:57 AM by Shun_One » Logged

I'm no longer around. If you really need to get my attention, send a PM

Taiko
    Extreme Kitten

Taco++

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »

This is an excellent idea, I'll be sure to drop by to assist whenever I can.

Random tip:
    "HD" Textures
    I see this term being thrown around a lot. To clarify what an HD texture is exactly, it's a high resolution texture. Brawl cannot handle HD textures, it can only handle SD textures (Standard Definition).

For comparison, here is an example of the same texture, one HD, and one SD (large image warning):

As you can see, one texture is clearly much higher resolution, meaning it's HD. The lower size one is simply a resized version of the HD one, but it's no longer HD. It's SD. The difference is much more noticable when applied to the model:
    This is with SD textures, which is what Brawl uses.
    This is with HD textures, which Brawl does not support. It is not possible to get HD textures in Brawl without crashing the game.

Editing a texture does not change its resolution, and it's not possible to create an HD texture from an SD one by simply resizing. The details must be added back in. (For evidence, try resizing the SD texture above, it does not look the same as the HD one.)

Adjustment Layers
    Ever wish you could go back and edit your selection for your Hue/Saturation, or wish you could go back and change the colour? That's what Adjustment Layers are for! This under-appreciated Photoshop feature will let you edit colours without actually editing the original image, meaning you can go back and change things as many times as you'd like.
    You can find this handy feature here:

Enjoy!
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:55:33 AM by Taiko » Logged

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:10:38 AM »

To avoid texture degradation altogether, just simply use a new layer, the polygonal lasso tool, and the color or hue blending mode for the layer for recolors. It takes longer but ensures the texture won't degrade.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

✦Dylan✦
    Holocaust Mastermind
    Extreme Kitten

Inactive, wont be returning

• Awards Tutorial Writer Active Contributor RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »

A quick save!

Ok, this isn't the most ridiculously helpful thing and I only just started doing this. When you save something that has a .pac and a .pcs save it as a .pair, it saves a ew seconds. Sometimes the smallest amount of time is the most important.

AIRBRUSH FTW! + Undo button!

Again, I don't know how many people use this but might as well mention this, in gimp, use your free select tool to mark out an area you want to change the colour of, then select your airbrush and lower the opacity to what suits you and the quality is unlikely to deteriorate, if you aren't happy with the result, DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT plaster on another layer of airbrush, it goes all one colour and loses the quality. Use the undo button then try again with a different shade and/or opacity, its trial and error but it still works!

Do I upload this?

So you've made a hack and you think 'I don't know if I should upload this... what if no-one likes it? What if no-one takes interest in it?' Well do what I've been doing, go for it... you never now until you try.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: