Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help me give Diddy a buckethat  (Read 3578 times)
Bos
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »

Hey people!

Two days ago I found out how you could change the textures of the ingame character with the wonderful program BrawlBox. I love to play Project and am a big fan of custom made skins. But the thing I and my friend tend to like, are not the skins I see being made. So I decided to figure out on my own how to change textures.

After discovering Brawlbox I quickly figured out how to change textures and give the character the skins I want. But I wanted to take it a step further and change the actual model of a character. Having enjoyed a year of a game artist education, I have a basic understanding of 3D modeling and thought it would be fun to use that knowledge to make something I and my friend would enjoy.

Sadly things aren't working out and I can't make the new model work in Project M so I hope you can help and pray i can properly explain my progress so far.

Goal: Give Diddy a bucket hat with a unique texture. I just want to replace his cap with another model with its own texture.

Programs I am using: Brawlbox v0.71, Cinema 4d R 13.

My progress: first I got the Pcs file of diddy in his red shirt. loaded that one up in Brawlbox and exported the model to a Dae file. Loaded that one up in Cinema 4d. what I got in there was the model. Every polygon had a 'skin' object as 'child', tags for several thing like phong and UV map.  And I saw the rigs for the animation. Odd thing was that the model was black, but this was probably because all the textures were black in cinema. These are called materials in Cinema so first I made sure that the proper texture was in the material. This resulted in a model of diddy with the proper textures.

After that I made a new polygon which I modeled in a low poly buckethat. Nothing to fancy, because I am not that good in modeling and didn't saw reason to go for a really realistic for the ffirst try. I deleted the polygon of the cap, but not before I put the tags of the cap on my buckethat. I made a new texture and UV mapped the buckethat on that texture.

Then I exported the project in a dae file (1.4 or brawlbox wouldn't import it) and replace the mdl0 file in brawlbox with my finished dae file. In the modelviewer of brawlbox I see my model with the new hat. A weird thing was that the polygons of the eyes were not visible, and I have not really a clue why this happened. In the textures I added my new texture for the hat. Then I exported the model in a pcs file and put it on the SD card that is put in the front of the Wii.

What happens ingame: I replaced Diddy's green skin and after selecting him and the correct skin the glitches happen. The UV mapping is skewed and some polygons are using textures that were meant for other polygons. Diddy is unplayable, If I walk a certain direction, he will teleport back to the place he started and I think his hitbox doesn't move at all. I can jump and this works fine. Certain animations don't seem to work properly anymore. when I do neutral B, he will do the charge animation for the gun, but the model of the gun isn't there, but his down special still works. And his barrels are always on his back.

When doing his down taunt (throwing his cap up), he does use the buckethat, so that is cool.

His other skins still work like normal.

So yeah, this is the situation now and I don't have a clue why. I don't change animations or interact with other parts. The only thing I do is replacing his cap with another model.

So I anyone here knows how to fix it, I would love to hear it.

Thx in advance!

Gamma Ridley
~Mercenary~

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »

Try this

If this doesn't fix it post a picture of what's going wrong.

Bos
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »

http://imgur.com/kIBDEZ5,M8vfTyY,AguxI9I

I tried your suggestion, but didn't fix it. It did improve the UV mapping of some textures, like his shirt.

I hope this Imgur link is good, because I am bad at images on forums.
    « Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:44:55 PM by Bos » Logged

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »

Ew, that's not good. What format are the screwed up textures? As in, CMPR, CI8, etc

Bos
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:43:41 AM »

Ew, that's not good. What format are the screwed up textures? As in, CMPR, CI8, etc

the barrels texture, body and head texture and the buckethat texture are all Cl8.

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:42:50 AM »

Try reimporting them as CMPR

Bos
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

Try reimporting them as CMPR

I did what you said and it fixed the textures, but there are pretty low quality now and the skin is still unplayable like I mentioned in the first post.

http://imgur.com/ru3ebQv,iaLDJGN

It also seems like his feet are in the floor and I forget to reimport the eyes so that explains the closed eyes.

I do thank you for the help so far, but I would love to know why Diddy is glitching so much and how to fix that.

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:42 PM »

I can't say for certain but I think Cinema 4D may be the issue here. The textures and eyes and stuff can be fixed by editing materials and such, but you might want to give 3DS Max a shot.

Bos
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

I can't say for certain but I think Cinema 4D may be the issue here. The textures and eyes and stuff can be fixed by editing materials and such, but you might want to give 3DS Max a shot.

ok ok. so if I went through the same progress only with 3DS max, then it would work? I assume, seeing your skins, that you use 3DS max? Then I would atleast know that I have the correct software.

Maybe do you happen to know a good guide for changing the models and the 3d stuff for brawl skins, because I have trouble finding a guide where it goes step-by-step through the progress of changing a model. I could really use. that.

In either way, thx for the help.   

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »

3DS Max is considered to be the... "standard," I guess you could say. Everything about model importing was tailored to work with 3DS Max (though other Autodesk products like Maya work as well). I don't know anything about Cinema 4D but if it's anything like Blender, the DAE exporter might be just slightly off, which might lead to weird things like sticking into the ground.

Bos
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

3DS Max is considered to be the... "standard," I guess you could say. Everything about model importing was tailored to work with 3DS Max (though other Autodesk products like Maya work as well). I don't know anything about Cinema 4D but if it's anything like Blender, the DAE exporter might be just slightly off, which might lead to weird things like sticking into the ground.

Make sense. I have the options to export to a DAE file of 1.4 or 1.5. the latter never got imported in Brawlbox, so I can understand that the DAE exporter of cinema 4D is lacking.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: