Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: What do you think of this hack (v1.9)?
Great! - 17 (77.3%)
Good. - 1 (4.5%)
Could have been better, but its ok. - 0 (0%)
Meh. - 0 (0%)
Horrible! - 0 (0%)
Too big. - 1 (4.5%)
OPNERFNOWOMG - 0 (0%)
What was the question again? - 3 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages:  1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Unofficial Project M Ridley PSA - Version 2.1 released.  (Read 73604 times)
spiritpyros
Extreme Kitten

justice will prevail

• Awards >9000 Star Hacker Favorite'd Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #75 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »

I may not be a big fan of ridley but this is absolutely amazing and cool and just plain awesome. keep up the good work

EDIT : Now as I look a bit closer at the model Ridley actually looks really built up in muscle which is cool cause it keeps the feeling of Ridley being a big scary space dragon while keeping him at a balanced size
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:48:12 AM by Mr.ryuzaki L » Logged

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #76 on: January 22, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »

Everything looks neat, though I feel it needs polish in the animation and the balance department.

From looking at the animations from when you sent me your stuff, some of the animations look pretty good, while other animations look like they could use a bit more work. Examples that come to mind are Up Smash, Jumping, Landing, etc. If you can, I suggest you look into using Autodesk Maya for animations. Just take note of file sizes, as Maya animations tend to be larger than animations made in BrawlBox.

For balancing issues, The Neutral Air seems way too fast, especially since it has such a strong spike. The Forward Smash has too much damage for a move with so much range. Ridley can overall KO foes at very early percentages (which should be looked into). Not to mention Ridley seems like a Heavyweight (running and attacking-wise) and a Lightweight (jump and fall-wise) both in one, which isn't all that balanced (having the perks of Heavyweight and Lightweight, yet none of the drawbacks). The air movement speed is way too high. I'm not sure if even Jigglypuff has that much aerial momentum. I feel Ridley's momentum should be similar of that to Charizard (falling speed, knockback resistance, and aerial mobility-wise). Ridley is a cunning, sadistic, and brutal villain, so I would suggest you base your balance and moveset off that.

Also, his Down Special makes no sense. I feel it should be a looping wing flap, rather than that reflecting armor stuff you're doing. If you really want to keep the reflection stuff in the moveset, maybe you could make the wind from the wing flaps able to reflect projectiles? I also feel his Neutral Special should utilize a true projectile, as Neutral Special and Up Tilt are way too similar. Since Ridley is over Pit, you could use his arrow as a base.

If you continue what you're doing, alongside taking note of criticisms, then I might consider adding your Ridley to my game, which honestly takes a lot of effort for me to notice, as I have much higher standards than other users.

Edit: If you can, see if you can get someone to make an Other M + Super Metroid style Ridley Model.
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:51:12 AM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

R̢i҉̴̛͜d̷̕҉̴l̨̧͠͡e͘͜͠y̴̶͡͠͞
    Supreme Kitten

Urgh...

• Awards Fiery Topic Famous Hacker King for a Day Hey! Listen!

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #77 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »

Everything looks neat, though I feel it needs polish in the animation and the balance department.

From looking at the animations from when you sent me your stuff, some of the animations look pretty good, while other animations look like they could use a bit more work. Examples that come to mind are Up Smash, Jumping, Landing, etc. If you can, I suggest you look into using Autodesk Maya for animations. Just take note of file sizes, as Maya animations tend to be larger than animations made in BrawlBox.

For balancing issues, The Neutral Air seems way too fast, especially since it has such a strong spike. The Forward Smash has too much damage for a move with so much range. Ridley can overall KO foes at very early percentages (which should be looked into). Not to mention Ridley seems like a Heavyweight (running and attacking-wise) and a Lightweight (jump and fall-wise) both in one, which isn't all that balanced (having the perks of Heavyweight and Lightweight, yet none of the drawbacks). The air movement speed is way too high. I'm not sure if even Jigglypuff has that much aerial momentum. I feel Ridley's momentum should be similar of that to Charizard (falling speed, knockback resistance, and aerial mobility-wise). Ridley is a cunning, sadistic, and brutal villain, so I would suggest you base your balance and moveset off that.

Also, his Down Special makes no sense. I feel it should be a looping wing flap, rather than that reflecting armor stuff you're doing. If you really want to keep the reflection stuff in the moveset, maybe you could make the wind from the wing flaps able to reflect projectiles? I also feel his Neutral Special should utilize a true projectile, as Neutral Special and Up Tilt are way too similar. Since Ridley is over Pit, you could use his arrow as a base.

If you continue what you're doing, alongside taking note of criticisms, then I might consider adding your Ridley to my game, which honestly takes a lot of effort for me to notice, as I have much higher standards than other users.

Edit: If you can, see if you can get someone to make an Other M + Super Metroid style Ridley Model.
    Im already very limited with animations (well, he still loads and doesn't freezes or crashes the game...until results screen) and BrawlBox is very simple to use. I will revamp those animations after i will be sure all animations can fit.

NAir spikes only at the tail blade and its useless on the rest of tail (it fails to KO even at 999%). I just need to find way to make it harder to hit with sweetspot. Forward Smash is weaker than Ganondorf's, hitboxes last only for 3-5 frames (and they are weaker at the main part), there is a huge end lag (55 or even more frames) and it can't be interrupted until like 3-5 frames before animation's end. He has drawbacks of both lightweights (he is floaty and is pretty light for such size) and heavyweights (large target and start up/end lag issues at least on the ground). Jigglypuff has a bit lower air mobility. His attributes are mostly based off 3D games (slow ground attacks that hit really hard, excellent air mobility, etc).

Current Down B is more useful than that and is still something from Metroid games (Other M fight). It allows him to go through weak attacks and projectile spammers while still being able to move around and attack. Wing flap would be useless when he can just perform Wall of Pain or spike opponent to prevent them from returning to stage.
    Pit's arrows crash the game. I don't know why, but they crash the game when they should spawn. If someone will find solution for it, he will have fireballs as default version of neutral B while firebreath will remain alternate version executed by pressing A when he steps back. I still have animations for that.

I have high standards too. Thats exactly why this project was started.

I tried. Well, not really that Ridley, but something that would still be a great addition (Meta Ridley done in Other M style). That request got ignored. I guess i should release this mod first before anything will be done.
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:20:30 AM by Ridley » Logged

_Data_Drain_
    Master of the Dark Matter
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards 2012 SSBB Tournament Runner-Up Fiery Topic Good Citizen Ceiling Cat

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »

Hm... perhaps it's not my place to give feedback. Since I don't play P:M... or even Brawl anymore.

But from what I can tell in the videos you've made. Ridley's coming along pretty nicely. However... some things strike me as a bit off.

His fall speed looks too low. Like to a point where gimping looks WAY too easy. Some of his moves look like they have a LOT of range, and not too much end lag, like Forward Smash (or what I assume is Forward Smash).... His forward tail stab goes all the way across Wario Ware, and has some good kill power. And what looks like very little end lag. However, this could just be hasty judgement on my end.

Anyway, aesthetically speaking, the model looks really nice. Much better then Roidley was in Other: M. The animations for the most part also look very nice. But a few of them seem a bit stiff (Pardon me if I get these moves inputs wrong). Like the down tilt, he doesn't look like he lifts his arms with enough force.

And up smash, the wings look like the fold together just a bit too gently.

All and all though.... I do think this has a lot of potential. A bit more overall polish, and more play testing. You'll have something worthwhile to put into P:M.

3DS FC: 1762-2823-8581

Wii-U ID: Data-Drain Mii Name: Jiro

SMM Stages: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Data-Drain

Supreme Kitten

Urgh...

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »

Hm... perhaps it's not my place to give feedback. Since I don't play P:M... or even Brawl anymore.

But from what I can tell in the videos you've made. Ridley's coming along pretty nicely. However... some things strike me as a bit off.

His fall speed looks too low. Like to a point where gimping looks WAY too easy. Some of his moves look like they have a LOT of range, and not too much end lag, like Forward Smash (or what I assume is Forward Smash).... His forward tail stab goes all the way across Wario Ware, and has some good kill power. And what looks like very little end lag. However, this could just be hasty judgement on my end.

Anyway, aesthetically speaking, the model looks really nice. Much better then Roidley was in Other: M. The animations for the most part also look very nice. But a few of them seem a bit stiff (Pardon me if I get these moves inputs wrong). Like the down tilt, he doesn't look like he lifts his arms with enough force.

And up smash, the wings look like the fold together just a bit too gently.

All and all though.... I do think this has a lot of potential. A bit more overall polish, and more play testing. You'll have something worthwhile to put into P:M.

If you mean gimping Ridley, then while he is floaty like Samus is, he still has tools to protect him from that (DAir and Down B) and quickly get back to the ground.
    His FSmash has 60 frames of end lag and hitboxes disappear quickly. That is nearly as long as a normal Falcon Punch. It is weaker at the main part of tail (KOes after ~150% instead of 100%), like every other tail attack.

That can be fixed with simple frame speed modifier.

Yeah, i agree.

So, i fixed Neutral B and it works exactly like i wanted it to work:

The only problem is that they still can be controlled like Pit's arrows even though arrows' joystick parameters were set to 0.
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:51:07 PM by Ridley » Logged

_Data_Drain_
    Master of the Dark Matter
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards 2012 SSBB Tournament Runner-Up Fiery Topic Good Citizen Ceiling Cat

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2015, 04:16:03 PM »

If you mean gimping Ridley, then while he is floaty like Samus is, he still has tools to protect him from that (DAir and Down B) and quickly get back to the ground.

Actually what I meant was him gimping foes himself.

He seems to have a bit too good of a gimping game from what I can see.

Anyway.... Onto another subject. I guess the tail attacks aren't as much of an issue as I previously thought.

3DS FC: 1762-2823-8581

Wii-U ID: Data-Drain Mii Name: Jiro

SMM Stages: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Data-Drain

Supreme Kitten

Urgh...

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »

Actually what I meant was him gimping foes himself.

He seems to have a bit too good of a gimping game from what I can see.

Anyway.... Onto another subject. I guess the tail attacks aren't as much of an issue as I previously thought.
    Oh, well, thats what i want to fix (for NAir at least - DAir is dangerous to use if there is nothing below, so, its a risk vs reward kind of thing).

SonicBrawler
    Magical Girl
    Overlord Kitten

Bae

• Awards Star Hacker Active Contributor Renowned Hacker Heart Container

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »

really hyped for this. its the final stretch.

Quotes:
    Not all people have the luxury of being able to buy things whenever they want.

Some people are barely scraping by in the economy.
    Modding has made you guys so spoiled.

Supreme Kitten

Urgh...

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »

Neutral B fireball finally fixed and heavely nerfed (previous version was so easily spammable it was like if Fox's blaster had Pit's arrows' knockback multiplied by 2). It has 3 versions - ground, aerial and alt aerial versions. First one is pretty simple:

I won't show normal aerial version of it because its same as ground version, except done in the air. So, here is alt aerial version:

It has same damage and knockback, but it goes down and creates a small shockwave along with a regular explosion that will launch opponents up and has higher knockback, but lower damage. Shockwave is bigger than in the gif.
    Fireball GFX used (its from Meta Ridley, those medium sized because large fireball's glow is visible only at certain angles) should leave a trail of fire on its own without need for extra GFX, but for whatever reasons, only model of it is left when used on Pit's arrows.

Well, pretty much everything is done. Up Smash redone, Side Smash nerfed, NAir nerfed, Ridley Strut added, etc. Only balancing is left and it won't take too long. BUT there is something that MUST be fixed. You see, on 2nd match's result screen, game crashes. Sometimes, even when loading 2nd match. It is because of the model and im 100% sure about it - i used Pit's original models and left everything else and it didn't crashed. It can be avoided by going back to "Press any button" screen after one match with Ridley, but thats not how it should be. I don't know how to fix it.

otheusrex
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #84 on: January 27, 2015, 09:52:02 PM »

This project is amazing! It would be awesome if the PMDT picked this up and decided to finally add Ridley.

I like the newer fireball over the old one. It looks awesome! Also, in your video demonstrations can you put some text boxes indicating what move is what? I had some trouble guessing which move were which inputs, especially on the aerial moves.

Forward throw is like, the most impressive looking move out of everything here.

I don't know if you want my 2 cents on this, but I really hope it helps! If you do decide to submit your final work to the PMDT in hopes they'll consider using it to add ridley to a future build, I have a rough idea of some of their concerns with why he's a difficult character to add.

Size and Shape: Probably the most obvious, as many people have said he's simply too big to put in smash bros. I don't believe it since a lot of characters are scaled somewhat. I know members of the PMDT have said he's too big, however, so that's still an issue. I think your Ridley is fairly good in his size, but there are some tricky things to consider, mainly his long tail and wings add considerably to the amount of space he takes up. It also complicates the overall shape of his hurtboxes, which for most smash characters, doesn't stray too far from ovals and rectangles. This just seems like one of the true difficulties of making Ridley seem to fit.

My advice on this is that the PMDT would still think your Ridley is too big. Make him a little smaller overall. Shorten his tail by half, and if it were coiled closer to his body that would help to pull in the shape more, of course, it could still lash out rather disjointed-ly for his tail attacks. His wings could also be 'hidden' to not add extra size by having them overlap the body more or fold more closely to his body on the ground. The flapping in the air looks good though. Again I don't know if you want this sort of advice, but on the off chance you do, I think these are things the PMDT would say.

In any case, keep up the good work! it's awesome that you're doing this, and I look forward to seeing more of it!

Supreme Kitten

Urgh...

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2015, 01:19:41 AM »

This project is amazing! It would be awesome if the PMDT picked this up and decided to finally add Ridley.

I like the newer fireball over the old one. It looks awesome! Also, in your video demonstrations can you put some text boxes indicating what move is what? I had some trouble guessing which move were which inputs, especially on the aerial moves.

Forward throw is like, the most impressive looking move out of everything here.

I don't know if you want my 2 cents on this, but I really hope it helps! If you do decide to submit your final work to the PMDT in hopes they'll consider using it to add ridley to a future build, I have a rough idea of some of their concerns with why he's a difficult character to add.

Size and Shape: Probably the most obvious, as many people have said he's simply too big to put in smash bros. I don't believe it since a lot of characters are scaled somewhat. I know members of the PMDT have said he's too big, however, so that's still an issue. I think your Ridley is fairly good in his size, but there are some tricky things to consider, mainly his long tail and wings add considerably to the amount of space he takes up. It also complicates the overall shape of his hurtboxes, which for most smash characters, doesn't stray too far from ovals and rectangles. This just seems like one of the true difficulties of making Ridley seem to fit.

My advice on this is that the PMDT would still think your Ridley is too big. Make him a little smaller overall. Shorten his tail by half, and if it were coiled closer to his body that would help to pull in the shape more, of course, it could still lash out rather disjointed-ly for his tail attacks. His wings could also be 'hidden' to not add extra size by having them overlap the body more or fold more closely to his body on the ground. The flapping in the air looks good though. Again I don't know if you want this sort of advice, but on the off chance you do, I think these are things the PMDT would say.

In any case, keep up the good work! it's awesome that you're doing this, and I look forward to seeing more of it!

I can't do anything about the video for now since i can't access youtube.

I don't remember them saying anything about his size. Only about his animations and his high chance of getting into smash 4 (and they wanted to avoid having characters from that game).

Shrinking him any more than he is now is a bad idea since he is already not that much taller than Samus. If i will reduce his tail in length any more, it will look horrible and not because it will get shorter.

Batman
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #86 on: January 28, 2015, 01:21:00 AM »

SOON.....

Also, any other projects you may be working/planning on afterwords? Or are you going hiatus after this?.. Just out of curiosity. Shocked

Supreme Kitten

Urgh...

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »

SOON.....

Also, any other projects you may be working/planning on afterwords? Or are you going hiatus after this?.. Just out of curiosity. Shocked
    Im not sure. If i will ever do something, it certainly won't use any of those model import hacks because those are limited in what can be done with them unless its same character, but from other game (SSB4 Bowser over Bowser for example).

Batman
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #88 on: January 28, 2015, 02:00:56 AM »

Im not sure. If i will ever do something, it certainly won't use any of those model import hacks because those are limited in what can be done with them unless its same character, but from other game (SSB4 Bowser over Bowser for example).
    Well, I mean it really depends on the quality of the import. Obviously if you want top notch quality it's going to cost quite a bit. I'm not knowledgeable about that type of thing but that's what's part of this site is for in any case. Smiley
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:02:40 AM by Batman » Logged

Supreme Kitten

Urgh...

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2015, 02:10:29 AM »

Well, I mean it really depends on the quality of the import. Obviously if you want top notch quality it's going to cost quite a bit. I'm not knowledgeable about that type of thing but that's what's part of this site is for in any case. Smiley
    Even then, it most likely won't give me enough freedom with the animations. So, i'd better use more-or-less untouched models like model im using for Ridley.

Pages:  1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
    Print
    Jump to: